Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

Really disjointed showing, as expected.  Minamino and Origi didn’t help their cause at all, Milner doesn’t have the legs to play in MF anymore, and now Fabinho is injured too.  On the bright side, we got a win while resting the players as much as possible, Trent finally looked a lot sharper, Shaqiri showed some good moments of skill and Jota scored again (and looked better on the left than the right, before disappearing again).  The whole season will be an ugly grind.  The players will be exhausted and picking up muscle strains and struggling for form as they’re in and out and the line-up is never settled.  Maybe the fans will enjoy the unpredictability it brings but I doubt we’ll see a lot of quality.

I’m not sure how we plan to defend against Antonio at the weekend. 

Another day, another load of manure from Frank Lampard.  This time he says that English managers don't get enough respect.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/27/frank-lampard-wants-homegrown-managers-to-be-shown-more-respect

Yes, if only we could watch more Big Cup matches led by managers such as Tim Sherwood, Steve Bruce, Roy Hodgson, Sam Allardyce, Neil Warnock, Alan Pardew, Howard Wilkinson, Steve McClaren, Joe Royle, Harry Redknapp, Peter Reid, Nigel Pearson, Bryan Robson, and Glen Roeder.  Such scintillating football!  So few opportunities to manage their teams to success!

What I find interesting about the ‘English manager’ thing, is that outside of a few exceptions, they all play the same dull long ball , low block way. I think that is changing these days with Potter and well.. Eddie Howe but there is still a good chunk of English or British managers who are brought in to do a job because the offer safety and solidity.

Hopefully we are starting to catch-up now, and you do see a number of younger managers attempting more progressive styles of play, but as a culture we’ve for some reason been incredibly slow to innovate with tactics or try something new, compared to Italy or Germany.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Another day, another load of manure from Frank Lampard.  This time he says that English managers don't get enough respect.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/27/frank-lampard-wants-homegrown-managers-to-be-shown-more-respect

Yes, if only we could watch more Big Cup matches led by managers such as Tim Sherwood, Steve Bruce, Roy Hodgson, Sam Allardyce, Neil Warnock, Alan Pardew, Howard Wilkinson, Steve McClaren, Joe Royle, Harry Redknapp, Peter Reid, Nigel Pearson, Bryan Robson, and Glen Roeder.  Such scintillating football!  So few opportunities to manage their teams to success!

It's clearly nonsense to say that English managers don't get opportunities: there is no way that Steve Bruce would have been given a top-flight job in any league at this point in his career if he weren't English. But I also think it's unfair to stereotype English managers. Many of the above names play a particular style of football but the younger managers, including Lampard himself, are more versatile and varied in their approach.

It also gets forgotten that the likes of Allardyce and Wilkinson were, in their day and in their way, innovators.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

It's clearly nonsense to say that English managers don't get opportunities: there is no way that Steve Bruce would have been given a top-flight job in any league at this point in his career if he weren't English. But I also think it's unfair to stereotype English managers. Many of the above names play a particular style of football but the younger managers, including Lampard himself, are more versatile and varied in their approach.

It also gets forgotten that the likes of Allardyce and Wilkinson were, in their day and in their way, innovators.

It is sort of true that English managers don't get opportunities at top clubs, but it isn't some grand conspiracy. Essentially the Premier League recruits managers from across the world and the top 6 at least are looking for managers who have a proven track record. That means they need to have won titles or european trophies or come close to it.

The problem is that you can't win titles and trophies if you aren't a manager at a top 6 club, because we all know how it works. So it's catch 22. 

The only answer is to go abroad and win something there and hopefully get noticed, or very gradually over time gain such a good reputation here by pushing the top 6 with a mid table club consistently that someone will take a chance on you.

(or you are a club legend and the board are desperate to distract from their own incompetence)

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

I'm not sure I follow?

Michael Antonio gets injured a lot. So I'd pray for one of those hamstrings or whatever he tends to get ever so often.

As he has been on fire at the start, it's inevitable it's just around the corner.

12 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Michael Antonio gets injured a lot. So I'd pray for one of those hamstrings or whatever he tends to get ever so often.

As he has been on fire at the start, it's inevitable it's just around the corner.

And Antonio is almost certainly out with a hamstring injury. Curse you, Rorschach!

6 hours ago, mormont said:

including Lampard himself, are more versatile and varied in their approach.

I wouldn't necessarily call Lampard- or indeed Howe or some of the others- versatile, just differently set; but they are certainly more interested in playing a brand of exciting passing football.

6 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah Allardyce has become a bit of a comedy figure as events overtook him and he turned into a caricature of himself, but in the Bolton days he was well ahead of the curve in a lot of ways and he was a good manager up until the England nonsense at least, after which he seemd to fall apart somewhat.

Anyway, more rotation, Van De Beek gets his start, Pogba with him, Greenwood up front with Martial in the 442 diamond. I don't like that formation but I am starting to think it's the best way to get the most out of the squad we have.

Archived