Star Trek: Keeping Up With the Cardassians

RumHam

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Star Trek is rather poor at keeping its own canon straight though. I was debating the size of the Federation with one of the Star Trek novel writers on another forum and that's an even more massive can of worms for something pretty fundamental to the franchise.

Ooh. Which one? Can you say?  Most of the regulars, in the last few years, have been pretty consistent in the canon lore on most things...

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

The latest episode was rote, but it did have a really intriguing core idea that it seems to have undersold.

Hide contents

The idea of Osyyra really wanting peace is a really intriguing idea and it would have thrown them off from doing the standard run around shooting things ending, but having her revert to supervillain type within three minutes was lazy.

Although the admiral pointing out she'd need to stand trial because, y'know, of all her genociding is reasonable and in keeping with the precedent of how DS9 ended (allowing peace with the Dominion and basically amnesty for all its troops, but the female Changeling needed to stand trial).

I did think that was interesting as well.

I'm a bit surprised that the admiral shot it down so quickly, there was clearly no way Osyyra would agree to that provision and the potential benefits of outlawing slavery and preventing future crimes do seem huge.

I did like that the admiral figured out that Discovery had been hijacked on his own.

14 hours ago, Denvek said:

Finally someone calls Michael out on her bullshit

Hide contents

and she shoots him into space.

I think she is right to do what she does in this case, but it does feel like in another episode she might have done the opposite.

10 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I know that Star Trek has done things like this from the beginning, but after watching a certain decompression scene in The Expanse, I just shook my head at the scene in the maintenance shaft in Discovery's latest episode.

Yup, the "people freeze in space and are like icicles" thing is a trope that I thought was long dead as well.

Got around to watching this episode,

Spoiler

I feel like it had the potential to be a truly great and compelling because the core idea was actually really good in theory and I enjoyed the negotiation scenes, but no Osyraa is basically evil and the Federation is filled with a blessed purity of all that is just and moral so... yeah.

Ah Starfleet HQ uses the same red alert as Voyager!

That was one of the better eps this season though it never once occurred to me that Adira was adopted. I assumed Stamet's was referring to someone he and Culber left behind in 2259. It's weird that Earth never gets a mention again (or becomes a priority of Starfleet to reunite with homebase using DISC) or that someone remembered to retrieve that poor guy in a derelict station waiting ages for a Federation pick-me-up.

Alright, so a friend of mine told me The Burn is in no way related to Michael Burnham or her mother or that stupid time travel plot from last season. Is this true, because if so I lost our bet and actually have to watch this season, lol

Granted I told my friend that if I'm miserable by the 5th episode, I'm stopping. My new years resolution is to stop hate watching shows and hate reading books.

9 minutes ago, sifth said:

Alright, so a friend of mine told me The Burn is in no way related to Michael Burnham or her mother or that stupid time travel plot from last season. Is this true, because if so I lost our bet and actually have to watch this season, lol

There’s still an episode left to explain more, but no, it doesn’t appear to have anything to do with them. At least I hope they explain more in the next episode, otherwise it’s a bizarre choice of mystery for the season based on what we already know.

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

There’s still an episode left to explain more, but no, it doesn’t appear to have anything to do with them. At least I hope they explain more in the next episode, otherwise it’s a bizarre choice of mystery for the season based on what we already know.

I'm actually hoping they stick with what it seems to be at the moment:

Spoiler

It was a crazy one-off event which happened because of a certain set of circumstances that will likely never recur again and people can stop worrying about it.

I suspect there's more, though, since the last episode will at least partially revolve around this.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

It was a crazy one-off event which happened because of a certain set of circumstances that will likely never recur again and people can stop worrying about it.

I suspect there's more, though, since the last episode will at least partially revolve around this.

I'd probably be suggesting an

Spoiler

"international" cordon around the nebula to prevent pregnant people from gestating inside it after this lol

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

I could see it as something that wiped out galactic civilization in the past, say a million years ago, but

Spoiler

is tied up with why there is so much dilithium in the nebula on that planet?

Here's my hypothesis:  an ancient civilization experimented with farming dilithium in huge deposits in places like the Verubin nebulas.   A possible culprit is the Chodak, who were wiped out after they lost their reality-warping Unity Device in the Z'Tarnis nebula.  I think this is from a video game though so not canon.

Anyway, if the Unity Device was needed to create huge deposits of dilithium, and that eventually caused some feedback loop just like the Burn, that could be ultimately a reason to not expect another Burn to happen as long as no one tries to farm dilithium like that.

What I can't quite get behind with the Burn's cause

Spoiler

Is that they all of a sudden they've given dilithium a new feature, unless in the plethora of ST episodes there is something I don't know about. How is it that the instability in the nebula coupled with that Kelpian's emotions destabilized dilithium everywhere? Furthermore, since the Burn didn't take place at the same time everywhere, as it had an origin point, that means the shockwave or whatever it was travelled at speeds beyond any warp speed seen so far.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

Chernobyl happened because of a certain set of circumstances, but ultimately there was still a design flaw that needed to be addressed.

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

What I can't quite get behind with the Burn's cause

Reveal hidden contents

Is that they all of a sudden they've given dilithium a new feature, unless in the plethora of ST episodes there is something I don't know about. How is it that the instability in the nebula coupled with that Kelpian's emotions destabilized dilithium everywhere? Furthermore, since the Burn didn't take place at the same time everywhere, as it had an origin point, that means the shockwave or whatever it was travelled at speeds beyond any warp speed seen so far.

Chernobyl happened because of a certain set of circumstances, but ultimately there was still a design flaw that needed to be addressed.

As far as we can tell, dilithium resonates in realspace and subspace, regulating the matter/antimatter mix required to push ships at warp speed. So the Burn propagating in subspace at warp factors approaching infinity and affecting every warp core via their interaction with subspace is reasonable (by Star Trek's wonky physics) given what we know (at least a hell of a lot more reasonable than the spore drive). It'd be interesting to see if the shockwave made it beyond the Galactic Barrier. The Kelvan Empire in Andromeda might have been in for a nasty shock.

The Burn basically caused dilithium to go inert instantly, which meant that there was nothing to regulate matter and antimatter reactions, so every warp core that was online detonated at once in warp core breaches, though I do wonder if the magnetic containment chambers were able to hold at least briefly, giving some ships the chance to evacuate. Given the death toll from the Burn is reportedly in the millions rather than billions as you'd expect, that might at least explain that.

One thing I've been wondering about all the dilithium plot stuff is that it was kinda a plot point a season or two ago that Tilly's friend/stowaway/oops actually the heir to the throne of a planet Po had created a means of artificially creating or re-enriching dilithium or something like that, right? And that was 900 years ago now, surely they didn't forget about this technology, right? :rolleyes:

Concerning the Burn, they never addressed what happened to planets. I imagine that matter/antimatter reactions power not only ships but all sorts of planetary infrastructure as well. It'd be interesting if half the planets got blown up during the Burn. Not to mention the disastrous energy scarcity and the resulting product scarcity that would follow. Sadly I don't think Discovery writers are even remotely interested in any of this. Kurtzman gotta Kurtzman, after all. 

23 hours ago, Mr Fixit said:

Concerning the Burn, they never addressed what happened to planets. I imagine that matter/antimatter reactions power not only ships but all sorts of planetary infrastructure as well. It'd be interesting if half the planets got blown up during the Burn. Not to mention the disastrous energy scarcity and the resulting product scarcity that would follow. Sadly I don't think Discovery writers are even remotely interested in any of this. Kurtzman gotta Kurtzman, after all. 

Matter/antimatter reactions are far too dangerous to be allowed on planets. Planetary power is provided by solar, renewables and, where necessary, fusion reactors (Star Trek IV notes that Earth has emergency fusion reactors but they need solar power to survive indefinitely, when the probe starts blanketing the planet). You only need M/A reactors to breach the warp barrier (before they introduced the idea of subspace surfing).

Planetary matter/antimatter reactors are almost unknown in the franchise. I think the massive energy reactor on Aldea to power the planetary cloaking device might have been a more primitive matter/antimatter reactor, but that did sterilise everyone.

OK, I don't think I'll be able to stomach another season of this. They couldn't write a compelling, coherent season arc or credible character development if their lives depended on it.

Spoiler

I should have placed bets: Burnham is captain, and Waiting Guy IS Fed president.

Jessie Gender (huge, gushing DSC fan): "Say what you will, but they had a better 'My Queen' moment than GoT!" Exactly.

Picard had its problems too, but at least it tried.

Spoiler

Oh, and: Worst. Captain's catchphrase. Ever. "Let's fly!" :rofl:

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

OK, I don't think I'll be able to stomach another season of this. They couldn't write a compelling, coherent season arc or credible character development if their lives depended on it.

Hide contents

I should have placed bets: Burnham is captain, and Waiting Guy IS Fed president.

Jessie Gender (huge, gushing DSC fan): "Say what you will, but they had a better 'My Queen' moment than GoT!" Exactly.

Picard had its problems too, but at least it tried.

Hide contents

Oh, and: Worst. Captain's catchphrase. Ever. "Let's fly!" :rofl:

Waiting Guy is just a lieutenant.

Archived