Jump to content
RumHam

Star Trek: Keeping Up With the Cardassians

Recommended Posts

  The whole 'turning off holograms by blinking at them' thing was definitely silly, but I'm not convinced it was much worse (or any more consequential) than any number of past occasions when Trek writers have relied on similar gimmicks to move the plot forward, without caring too much about internal consistency or any wider implications.  At least, I don't think it's going to come up again.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:01 AM, karaddin said:

 In the context of the episode title, and that part 2 is clearly going to be late in the season run, I think Discovery as a whole is the hope. Not the individual Michael. Or at least that's my hope :P

My assumption is that Part 2 is either going to be the season finale or a whole-episode flashback to the missing year between the first two epsiodes.  (Or a combination of both, maybe?).  That said

Spoiler

I thought I saw some episode titles revealed a while ago, and I don't think That Hope Is You, Part 2 was one of them (I don't know how offical/complete the reveal was though).

But otherwise, yes, I think/hope that you're right about how the title is meant to be interpreted.

At least so far, Burnham seems to be a lot less central to the plot than she was in the first two seasons.  I'd thought that having her be in the future for a year longer than the rest of the crew was going to be more important than (so far) it seems to have been.  I guess without the Discovery and its spore drive she really didn't have much chance to explore the galaxy beyond a fairly limited area.  But that does suggest there's some other reason for the 'missing year' that isn't supposed to be apparent to the viewers yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to finish the episode later, but 

Discovery getting a refit and then being approached by a ship piloted by a cat was pretty great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm going to finish the episode later, but 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Discovery getting a refit and then being approached by a ship piloted by a cat was pretty great.

 

The most disappointing part of this whole Purge premise is that cats haven't taken advantage of it and taken over. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The most disappointing part of this whole Purge premise is that cats haven't taken advantage of it and taken over. :P

They're just biding their time I'm sure. Spot's descendants are off somewhere plotting to ally with species 8472 and those bug aliens from Conspiracy.

Solid episode, have they given a reason why they can't make more spore drives with all their fancy tech? Seems like that would be a priority.

 

I didn't care for the running gag of that alien guy teleporting to the wrong place. Especially at the end in the elevator because it just makes you wonder why they were using the elevator at all. 

I guess they didn't have the budget for new uniforms? Fair enough, the show has looked great this season and that can't be cheap. 

Also self sealing stem bolts! I appreciate that they're referencing DS9 more. 

 

Edited by RumHam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RumHam said:

They're just biding their time I'm sure. Spot's descendants are off somewhere plotting to ally with species 8472 and those bug aliens from Conspiracy.

Solid episode, have they given a reason why they can't make more spore drives with all their fancy tech? Seems like that would be a priority.

  Hide contents

I didn't care for the running gag of that alien guy teleporting to the wrong place. Especially at the end in the elevator because it just makes you wonder why they were using the elevator at all. 

I guess they didn't have the budget for new uniforms? Fair enough, the show has looked great this season and that can't be cheap. 

Also self sealing stem bolts! I appreciate that they're referencing DS9 more. 

 

Spoiler

The teleporting gag was funny at first, then it got annoying. There must be some safeguards in place, because I don't know how that guy didn't teleport himself right into space. Or instead of the elevator, he could have teleported in the elevator shaft.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid episode, fairly entertaining, but not as good as the last couple. I did like that Burnham faced consequences for her actions, even if they were relatively minor.

For the personal transporters, they presumably have a safeguard so they can't transport unprotected people into vacuum or dangerous situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumably also can't teleport into private quarters, locker rooms, etc. without express permission or emergency overrides or something. 

Am I wrong in recalling that there was a Voyager episode with some advanced Starfleet ship that cut down on space by having crew move around via transporters rather than having hallways and transporters and so on? Or maybe I'm thinking of the one with the hologram crew or whatever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ran said:

Presumably also can't teleport into private quarters, locker rooms, etc. without express permission or emergency overrides or something. 

Am I wrong in recalling that there was a Voyager episode with some advanced Starfleet ship that cut down on space by having crew move around via transporters rather than having hallways and transporters and so on? Or maybe I'm thinking of the one with the hologram crew or whatever...

Maybe that one time Daniels took Archer to the future on Enterprise? I can't remember but it does sound vaguely familiar.

I don't really like that they're a thing, it seems like the writers are going to have to constantly come up with reasons they can't be used to get people out of danger. 

Also I think this show could maybe use a little more walking down hallways to the transporter room and talking. Now Aaron Sorkin's never going to be able to direct an episode. 

 

Edited by RumHam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

The transporter joke also begs the question of how they work at all; how do they know where you want to go? It can only be telepathy I guess, nobody’s ever spoken before travelling or pressed any buttons.

I was glad to see Michael demoted, the only part that bugged me was that we were supposed to be so upset about it. She didn’t have any hesitation at all in breaking pretty much the first order she’s been given by Starfleet, and Book’s life wasn’t in immediate danger. Makes way more sense to demote her and put a native 31st century officer in place for what should be a lot of confusion as to how things work this century.

Can someone remind me why Michael wasn’t in prison? I know she was headed there in Season 1, but they pulled her for reasons temporarily. I just can’t remember how she was fully pardoned, if she was. If she wasn’t, how did she just stroll into command in the first place?

Also, if she cracks the case by realising that the Burn wasn’t simultaneous for all ships, and no one has figured that out in 120 years ... it’s officially very stupid. She’ll probably figure it out at the end of the season and be promoted to Admiral or something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:
  Hide contents

Can someone remind me why Michael wasn’t in prison? I know she was headed there in Season 1, but they pulled her for reasons temporarily. I just can’t remember how she was fully pardoned, if she was. If she wasn’t, how did she just stroll into command in the first place?

 

I think Lorca cites some regulation that gives him the ability to put her to use during the war. She's then later pardoned after she helps end the war pretty much right before the Klingons reached earth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the writers are pulling out some more Easter Eggs in their naming of things - this time with the planet Discovery was on alert to potentially go to, Ardeth.

Spoiler

Ardeth Bey in The Mummy being Oded Fehr's (Admiral Vance) most famous role

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The personal transporters I think just read people's surface thoughts about their destination. That's not too hard, we're not far off being able to do that now (kind of).

The guy who kept beaming by accident was an alien and not necessarily one whose species is currently in the Federation, so it might be an issue that the badge wasn't used to his thought patterns. They did say they'd have to get used to the new tech.

The preview for next week looks interesting:

Spoiler

It's called Unification III and will feature both Vulcans and Romulans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DaveSumm said:
  Hide contents

Also, if she cracks the case by realising that the Burn wasn’t simultaneous for all ships, and no one has figured that out in 120 years ... it’s officially very stupid. She’ll probably figure it out at the end of the season and be promoted to Admiral or something.

 

I do wonder if maybe the reason the Admiral always dismisses the idea of trying to figure out cause of the Burn is that he already knows but it's classified.

19 hours ago, Denvek said:

I see the writers are pulling out some more Easter Eggs in their naming of things - this time with the planet Discovery was on alert to potentially go to, Ardeth.

  Hide contents

Ardeth Bey in The Mummy being Oded Fehr's (Admiral Vance) most famous role

 

I think the self-sealing stem bolts were my favourite Easter egg.

Edited by williamjm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RumHam said:

I think Lorca cites some regulation that gives him the ability to put her to use during the war. She's then later pardoned after she helps end the war pretty much right before the Klingons reached earth. 

I'd say more than just ending the war, she talked the Federation down off the ledge of doing a genocide to the Klingon home planet and came up with the "get a Klingon leader to threaten genocide against her own people rather than Star Fleet actually doing the genocide" plan which ended the war. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I'd say more than just ending the war, she talked the Federation down off the ledge of doing a genocide to the Klingon home planet and came up with the "get a Klingon leader to threaten genocide against her own people rather than Star Fleet actually doing the genocide" plan which ended the war. 

Just another reminder on why I'll always hate season 1 of this show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think the self-stealing stem bolts were my favourite Easter egg.

Didn’t they also request late 24th century self-sealing stem bolts, potentially making them the exact same ones? I mean, that’d be one hell of a coincidence, but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, williamjm said:

I do wonder if maybe the reason the Admiral always dismisses the idea of trying to figure out cause of the Burn is that he already knows but it's classified.

The same thought occurred to me. 

At the very least the admiral has a solid theory that he'd rather not share with anyone. 

Maybe he knows Past Federation was indirectly responsible for the burn. 

Let's not forget that Tilly's friend (Queen whatshername) might be linked to it. Maybe the Federation did something to her or refused to listen to her, which caused refined dilithium to become dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A thread on Reddit discussing "Calypso" in light of this season pointed out something I missed, namely that it's now NCC-1031-A, after the 32nd century refit of the Discovery. Whereas in "Calypso", Discovery is still clearly NCC-1031 (and the nacelles are still connected). Some wonder if it's not a matter of their sending the ship into the past in secret to then recover it "in the present" as a means of getting around the temporal treaty if it becomes an issue, in which case they would naturally make the ship look like it did prior to its upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ran said:

A thread on Reddit discussing "Calypso" in light of this season pointed out something I missed, namely that it's now NCC-1031-A, after the 32nd century refit of the Discovery. Whereas in "Calypso", Discovery is still clearly NCC-1031 (and the nacelles are still connected). Some wonder if it's not a matter of their sending the ship into the past in secret to then recover it "in the present" as a means of getting around the temporal treaty if it becomes an issue, in which case they would naturally make the ship look like it did prior to its upgrade.

That sounds linked to that short where the Discovery was abandoned. So if they do that, we'll get a Discovery with a self aware AI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...