Who and how should Daenerys punish for Robert's Rebellion?

Mario Seddy

Suppose if Daenerys invaded Westeros when Robert was alive with her 3 dragons and armies and won. How should she punish the people who made her life miserable and destroyed her family? How should she deal with 

Ned and House Stark 

Hoster Tully 

Stannis Baratheon and Renly 

Jon Arryn 

Hoster Tully, Brynden Tully and Edmure Tully 

And finally the Evil Tywin Lannister and his brood? 

Dany is special in many ways.  She will have known the truth by then of her father's plot to blow up the city.  I don't think she will punish these people for past offenses.  She will win them over even if she despises them.  She possesses an intelligence and self-discipline that Robb Stark lacked.  Those who would take to the battlefield and fight against her good claim will meet their end unless they surrender.  Which is fair.  Aegon did the same thing when he brought down the westermen in the field of fire.  Only a few thousand died but that was enough to knock sense into the enemy.  

I think she would only punish Tywin and Jaime. This in a reality where she knows that her father was crazy, let's say Dany decides to leave his denial and listen to what Barristan has to say about his father. I don't think she would do anything to the Starks, Ned is dead and the remaining Starks weren't even alive at that time . Dany pretends not to hear Barristan because she is in denial, all her life she thought that her father and brothers were two wronged angels, suddenly she discovers that the father she always idealized does not exist, that in fact he was a lunatic psycho, she knows that everything Barristan said is true, and is learning that the world is not black and white, very likely that when she arrives in Westeros she doesn't take revenge on anyone

All the Great Lords that rebelled against Aerys would be executed. Robert, Eddard, Hoster and Tywin would lose their head. Jaime too, of course. If Dany felt merciful that thay, he may commute the sentences for those who took the black.

I don't think he'd punish Edmure or Renly, as they didn't have any part in the Rebellion.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:34 PM, Mario Seddy said:

Suppose if Daenerys invaded Westeros when Robert was alive with her 3 dragons and armies and won. How should she punish the people who made her life miserable and destroyed her family? How should she deal with 

Ned and House Stark 

Hoster Tully 

Stannis Baratheon and Renly 

Jon Arryn 

Hoster Tully, Brynden Tully and Edmure Tully 

And finally the Evil Tywin Lannister and his brood? 

I agree with @H Wadsey Longfellow .  Past crimes will be forgiven in order to rebuild.  If she can maintain cordial relations with the Ghiscari slavers, she can do the same for the nobles who rebelled against her father.  But there are limits.  Gregor and Amory will have to face judgement.  Robert, Stannis, Hoster, Tywin, Jaime, and Jon Arryn will never surrender.  They will go down fighting.  Good riddance.  Ain't gonna  miss ya.  Those who bend their knees will be pardoned.  Doran will be calling for blood.  She will have to placate him.  Ned's response will depend on the truth of what happened long ago.  If Lyanna ran off or not will make the difference.  Assume she ran away.  Ned being fair for a Stark might let bygones be bygones.  Mistakes and bad judgement happened on both sides of the war.  It's time to forgive and move on.  His wife would egg him to fight for her father.  Ned should refuse.  Should refuse but he may not.  The Starks will fight for Robert if Sansa were already wed to Joffrey.  Regardless of who was wrong in the past.  In that case, I am comfortable with roasting them and burning Winterfell down to the ground.  

I see it this way.  Robert, Stannis, and Tywin would not hesitate to murder King Viserys III and his royal sister, Princess Daenerys.  They would not get the benefit of a trial or a hearing.  Why should she show them any mercy if they resist her claim?  I would not.  I will have them publicly executed.  

On 10/18/2020 at 5:14 PM, Only 89 selfies today said:

I am comfortable with roasting them and burning Winterfell down to the ground. 

On 10/18/2020 at 5:14 PM, Only 89 selfies today said:

I would not.  I will have them publicly executed.  

I am not sure if you are aware of how triggering this is right now, but Trump enablers are also gung-ho about executing anyone opposed to him. They want others to submit to his authority, and revel in violent punishment of Trump's enemy of the day. To me your post reads like the Trump "lock her up" chant.

So far almost every leader of the rebellion is dead at this point. Danny could only take revenge on their offspring which she might not feel the need to do. 

Jaime would likely be at the top of her list. Not only did he personally murder her father, but he did it in a way everyone agrees was extremely dishonorable. 

Stannis would also be a clear target of Danny's wrath. He's not only the last remaining leader of the house that usurped the iron throne but he is also actively claiming that throne for himself.

On 10/19/2020 at 2:14 AM, Only 89 selfies today said:

I agree with @H Wadsey Longfellow .  Past crimes will be forgiven in order to rebuild.  If she can maintain cordial relations with the Ghiscari slavers, she can do the same for the nobles who rebelled against her father.  But there are limits.  Gregor and Amory will have to face judgement.  Robert, Stannis, Hoster, Tywin, Jaime, and Jon Arryn will never surrender.  They will go down fighting.  Good riddance.  Ain't gonna  miss ya.  Those who bend their knees will be pardoned.  Doran will be calling for blood.  She will have to placate him.  Ned's response will depend on the truth of what happened long ago.  If Lyanna ran off or not will make the difference.  Assume she ran away.  Ned being fair for a Stark might let bygones be bygones.  Mistakes and bad judgement happened on both sides of the war.  It's time to forgive and move on.  His wife would egg him to fight for her father.  Ned should refuse.  Should refuse but he may not.  The Starks will fight for Robert if Sansa were already wed to Joffrey.  Regardless of who was wrong in the past.  In that case, I am comfortable with roasting them and burning Winterfell down to the ground.  

I see it this way.  Robert, Stannis, and Tywin would not hesitate to murder King Viserys III and his royal sister, Princess Daenerys.  They would not get the benefit of a trial or a hearing.  Why should she show them any mercy if they resist her claim?  I would not.  I will have them publicly executed.

I feel I disagree with you reasoning. Because I feel its alot of inconsistencies and selective application of humanist principles.

Italics: Funny how the crimes of the Ghiscari slavers can be forgiven despite their system of slavery but two scum who together killed far less people than the slavers must die because they are apparently beyond the pale, while the Ghiscari slaver masters are not.

If Lyanna was kidnapped or eloped became pretty irrelevant from a Stark perspective when first Aerys roasted Lord Stark and his son and then Rhaegar took command to put down the rebellion against Aerys.

Bolded: Its a weird thing to say that "its time for forgive and move on" while placating Doran's desire to, according to my understanding, kill every single descendent of Tywin Lannister which involves at least four people who had exactly nothing to do with the Targaryens' fall and two who by all accounts have done nothing wrong.

This starts with an impossibility. "What if Dany and her three dragons invaded Westeros during Robert's reign."

She was a baby born soon after Robert's reign started, and did not have her dragons during Robert's reign. The timeline's a bit wonky but it seems the dragons were born well after the time Ned got his honourable head chopped off.

Otherwise, we'll all write crazy fanfic. I'll write Jaime and Brienne - I already have done, the names of their first 5 kids, haha. But I don't expect it to ever happen, it's just an indulgence of mine.

To separete what YOU want from the real world, see other people and understand they might not want what YOU want is the first step to wisdom.  Natch.

Also, the whole title of this thread.

Really? Who should Dany punish for past wars?

Who is she to punish anyone? Because she's of the blood, entitled?

Do they deserve to be punished? Is Dany entitled to punish them for a past wrong?

These are the questions GRRM asks of us, and makes us argy-bargy on an online forum.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:03 AM, H Wadsey Longfellow said:

Only a few thousand died but that was enough  

Ah, only a few thousand died, so that's all right.

A few thousand fathers, brothers, sons dead. Left a few thousand widows, sisters, mothers. But it doesn't matter because Targ glory. Or somfing.

Archived