US Politics: Locking Up the Vote!

Fragile Bird

Chataya's BF is not that interesting. I am more curious about the great unwashed and how he has taken the news, that his son decided his first ever presidential vote goes to the Trump/Pence ticket.

Ok, after causing either a stroke or heart attack there, now to something different.

Also going back to the previous thread @butterbumps!

Eventho, I was probably wrongly involved in your question about the heir to the political legacy of Donnie Dipshit. Dipshit Junior or Ivanka.

I initially also wanted to dismiss Ivanka's pull to daddy's voters for reasons. On a second thought I refrained from doing so for a simple reason. Marine Le Pen and the Front National.

Her old man (Jean Marie) was the head of that movement for years, and he was rather dismissive of his daughter and her ability to lead his right wing political empire. Turns out she was better at getting votes than he ever was. So I'd be careful about dismissing Ivanka's chances of taking over Donnie's racist gig.

I am sure @Rippounet can add some more meat to the story and the  feud between the Le Pens. (Sorry to drag you into this, but you know French politics way better than I do).

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/san-diego-unified-school-district-changes-grading-system-to-combat-racism/2425346/#:~:text=Students will no longer be,late they turn in assignments.&text=The San Diego Unified School Di

San Diego Unified School District Changes Grading System to ‘Combat Racism'

A lot of the changes seem rather silly such as making turning work in on time inconsequential.

50 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Chataya's BF is not that interesting. I am more curious about the great unwashed and how he has taken the news, that his son decided his first ever presidential vote goes to the Trump/Pence ticket.

Ok, after causing either a stroke or heart attack there, now to something different.

Also going back to the previous thread @butterbumps!

Eventho, I was probably wrongly involved in your question about the heir to the political legacy of Donnie Dipshit. Dipshit Junior or Ivanka.

I initially also wanted to dismiss Ivanka's pull to daddy's voters for reasons. On a second thought I refrained from doing so for a simple reason. Marine Le Pen and the Front National.

Her old man (Jean Marie) was the head of that movement for years, and he was rather dismissive of his daughter and her ability to lead his right wing political empire. Turns out she was better at getting votes than he ever was. So I'd be careful about dismissing Ivanka's chances of taking over Donnie's racist gig.

I am sure @Rippounet can add some more meat to the story and the  feud between the Le Pens. (Sorry to drag you into this, but you know French politics way better than I do).

Aside from the fact that both are women with fathers in politics, what similarities exactly are you seeing between Ivanka and Marine that would make this so?  Like in terms of their respective political histories and personal traits and abilities.  Am I missing something?

59 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/san-diego-unified-school-district-changes-grading-system-to-combat-racism/2425346/#:~:text=Students will no longer be,late they turn in assignments.&text=The San Diego Unified School Di

San Diego Unified School District Changes Grading System to ‘Combat Racism'

A lot of the changes seem rather silly such as making turning work in on time inconsequential.

Good, homework, as it stands, is awful. It doesn't promote much learning and becomes a source of conflict.  It is one of the many things that needs to be rethought in our education system.

The rats are starting to flee the sinking ship. First Sasse (who holds a safe seat) and now John Cornyn (whose seat has gone from a likely R to a lean R in the last month). We'll be seeing more of this shortly, I expect.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I love this Biden ad. Has anyone seen it on the regular TV instead of YouTube?

I've only seen it here, where you posted it.  I'm glad I did, for so many reasons, probably starting with the start of it -- sanity.  It also helps calm my nerves, which are sandpapered past the roots.

Then entire ad, without saying so, amplifies something Kamala Harris stated about Biden and his difference from the shoggoth.  "Joe knows love."  He was far from my first pick, but I love that. And by now, maybe he is my first pick, for maybe all the reasons he wasn't in the first place.  Somebody who knows how to speak in the tones he does and about what he speaks, well it works for me at least.

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Good, homework, as it stands, is awful. It doesn't promote much learning and becomes a source of conflict.  It is one of the many things that needs to be rethought in our education system.

Isn't this just taking more responsibility out of both the students' and parents' hands though? 

1 hour ago, butterbumps! said:

Aside from the fact that both are women with fathers in politics, what similarities exactly are you seeing between Ivanka and Marine that would make this so?  Like in terms of their respective political histories and personal traits and abilities.  Am I missing something?

My point was, that Le Pen senior was sceptical whether his daughter could take over, and was quite critical of a few of her moves. Too tame/centrist, not true Front National (again, Rippounet mgiht correct me if I remember it wrongly).

Now, to take the turn back to Ivanka. I gather that was among the lines, why you doubt that she could fill the void left by her daddy. And I think, that's a bit too much wishful thinking, as Marine Le Pen has shown, that you don't need to be a senile old male jackass to lead another bunch of racist jackasses. Infact her more moderate facade has worked out even better than the original jackass brand. Cue Ivanka.

Stumbled across some interesting comments from Dave Waserman of the Cook Political Report site. First, on the theme of the GOP thinking Trump is done:

And regarding polling, back in August he said the real thing he'd be watching was district-level polling for  the congressional races, because those would be the first indicators of any major shifts (tightening race, etc.). And...

18 minutes ago, Ran said:

And regarding polling, back in August he said the real thing he'd be watching was district-level polling for  the congressional races, because those would be the first indicators of any major shifts (tightening race, etc.). And...

I hope it is a complete massacre. 

26 minutes ago, Ran said:

Stumbled across some interesting comments from Dave Waserman of the Cook Political Report site. First, on the theme of the GOP thinking Trump is done:

Really surprised at the lack of tightening. Also, looks like Biden is likely to pick up some electoral votes in Nebraska.

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

One important lesson, not mentioned there is that this time around Dems should not invite Rs to play in government camp. 

Obama appointed Rs twice at Defense, appointed a Republican as FBI director, made a Republican member of Congress his secretary of transport and appointed Jon Huntsman ambassador to China.

While I agree with this in principle, or generally, I'd like to push back on some of the examples you used.  In terms of LaHood at Transportation, that's just pure tokenism.  Dubya did the same thing with Transportation by keeping on Democrat Norman Mineta in his first Cabinet.  I don't care if a Biden administration doesn't do something like this, but I also don't care if he does.  Regarding Huntsman, I disagree because he was picked due to being the best man for the job.  He had diplomatic experience in the region, relationships in China, and dude even traveled as a tween with Kissinger when he negotiated the opening up of China.  Moreover, ideologically speaking outside of what's relevant for an ambassador, Huntsman was barely a Republican then, let alone now.  He's to the left of the Romney.

On the FBI director, I'd rather they keep partisanship/personal feelings towards the president out of the choice entirely.  That's how it was between Watergate and the Hillary investigation, and I'd like that position to return to that norm.  Sure Biden does too.  Hell, it's not like Trump is a big fan of Wray or vice versa right now. 

Where I definitely agree is on SecDef.  Democratic presidents need to stop putting Republicans in there.  Clinton did it too with Cohen (and kinda with Perry).  It just reinforces the ludicrous perception that the GOP is stronger on defense than Dems.  Anyway, seems like Flournoy is the broad consensus there at this point, so shouldn't matter.

Another spot they definitely should do this is Fed Chair.  Trump broke the norm by ousting Yellen after one term.  What's good for the goose...

59 minutes ago, Ran said:

And regarding polling, back in August he said the real thing he'd be watching was district-level polling for  the congressional races, because those would be the first indicators of any major shifts (tightening race, etc.). An

Twitter nerd consensus seems to be that he's referring to IN-05. Open seat, suburbs of Indianapolis; the incumbent R won in 2018 by 13 points; after winning in 2016 by 29 points and 2014 by 35 points. It's a rapidly shifting district, and one where the GOP has now lost their incumbency. It'd be great to see it flip; but I don't know if its *that* representative of broader trends.

And speaking of polling, I don't love the CBS polls today of AZ+3 and WI+5. If all the gaudy national polling is accurate, at least one of those states should be quite a bit bluer; depending on what's powering the shift.

I was thinking that adding more justices to the supreme court was rather a bad precedent but Amy Coney Barrett is so annoying that its tending to wipe out that consideration.

Quite frankly, I find her creepy and I didn't think the Democrats did a very good job of asking their questions. She either said that she can't answer something because it was a 'hot political issue' and justices shouldn't be seen as partisan or because she couldn't answer in general only in the context of a particular case. It was only by looking at what she did answer that you could see what she would do. ie saying she saw Brown v Board of Education as an unchangeable precedent (I forget the terminology) but not saying that about Roe v Wade. 

Her manner struck me as a very 'handmaidenly' and sneaky way of keeping her head down to get through. Questioners needed to follow up with other questions (don't know if they are able to - the glimpses I saw on Australian see TV didn't reveal much). And all the academic stuff about being an originalist just made me think she has her head up her own ass. Clearly no-one could possibly be a pure originalist it would be ludicrous, and it reminded me of Bible Study - what is the real message of God in this holy text (not that I have ever been in Bible Study. Reading bible stories for children in the dentists waiting room as a child was the closest I came). I mean she is going to get appointed anyway, why can she not be honest and have the strength of her opinions?

I was prepared to respect her intellect but have become more suspicious of that. Being successful at Notre Dame and graduating straight to being an assistant to Scalia would not happen unless she was such a religious conservative so she may be smart but that does not explain all of her success.

This is my dull version of a rant.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

And speaking of polling, I don't love the CBS polls today of AZ+3 and WI+5. If all the gaudy national polling is accurate, at least one of those states should be quite a bit bluer; depending on what's powering the shift.

What's particularly concerning about that Arizona number is they got Kelly up by 11.

9 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I was thinking that adding more justices to the supreme court was rather a bad precedent but Amy Coney Barrett is so annoying that its tending to wipe out that consideration.

Quite frankly, I find her creepy and I didn't think the Democrats did a very good job of asking their questions. She either said that she can't answer something because it was a 'hot political issue' and justices shouldn't be seen as partisan or because she couldn't answer in general only in the context of a particular case. It was only by looking at what she did answer that you could see what she would do. ie saying she saw Brown v Board of Education as an unchangeable precedent (I forget the terminology) but not saying that about Roe v Wade. 

Her manner struck me as a very 'handmaidenly' and sneaky way of keeping her head down to get through. Questioners needed to follow up with other questions (don't know if they are able to - the glimpses I saw on Australian see TV didn't reveal much). And all the academic stuff about being an originalist just made me think she has her head up her own ass. Clearly no-one could possibly be a pure originalist it would be ludicrous, and it reminded me of Bible Study - what is the real message of God in this holy text (not that I have ever been in Bible Study. Reading bible stories for children in the dentists waiting room as a child was the closest I came). I mean she is going to get appointed anyway, why can she not be honest and have the strength of her opinions?

I was prepared to respect her intellect but have become more suspicious of that. Being successful at Notre Dame and graduating straight to being an assistant to Scalia would not happen unless she was such a religious conservative so she may be smart but that does not explain all of her success.

This is my dull version of a rant.

Are you aware that's she's a member of what some might call a cult in which she's literally assigned a "handmaid," and her and her husband had to swear allegiance for life to this shit? 

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/29/amy-coney-barrett-tied-to-far-right-religious-cult-that-believes-women-should-submit-to-husbands_partner/

Archived