Is Doran faking or exaggerating the gout?

Alyn Oakenfist

On the contrary, it seems to me he tries to hide how bad it truly is. That's stated as one of the reasons for him to have retired to the Water Gardens, and for all the myrish covers he uses. Myr is again and again associated with lying and deceiving, he uses the coverlets to lie about his condition - if Doran wanted people to think it's worse than it is, why not let them see the swollen joints? 

We've read some pretty vivid descriptions of his swollen joints. But I don't know anything medical about gout. Is it possible for someone to have such severe swelling without also being disabled and in pain?

11 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Is it possible for someone to have such severe swelling without also being disabled and in pain?

It's really not. He can get analgesics like poppy milk, but that has side effects too, obviously. Treatment for gout requires colchicine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or steroids. In Westeros they have willow bark, but I think that's about it when it comes to NSAIDs... Steroids are definitely not available, I'm afraid. 

26 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

It's really not. He can get analgesics like poppy milk, but that has side effects too, obviously. Treatment for gout requires colchicine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or steroids. In Westeros they have willow bark, but I think that's about it when it comes to NSAIDs... Steroids are definitely not available, I'm afraid. 

To be fair, GRRM has shown his lack of anatomical/medical knowledge before in the series.

The Sand Snakes and their supporters are growing restless,  and there is the possibility of open conflict with the Crown.  Doran's opponents and enemies are likely to see any weakness as encouragement to challenge him, which he can ill afford.  So I think the gout is real; if anything he is hiding how bad it really is.

Archived