New to the books

gnuee

I just started reading the books in August and am now working my way through ADwD.  I’m geeking out! This writing is amazing.  So layered, so complex.  This is a story I’m gonna get lost in for a while.  

I know this isn’t an interesting question or observation, just floating that sentiment out there because I know no one else that is currently reading the series. 

• 2 months later...

pessimistic wolf :)

@gnuee there will be more to read!   (great 1st post btw)

& both you & @Uncle-T are spot on about the writing; never in all my years of reading have i reread a series of novels so much ... i have read & reread & re-reread these books so many times i have lost track.  it's the kind of writing that just pulls you into the story & keeps you thinking on it. 
these novels are the most economical enjoyable entertainment i have ever purchased - thanks GRRM !

10 hours ago, Yaya said:

:P :D :rofl:

Cynical. Nihilist. Wolfie. Me. My name is self explanatory. TheLastWolf 

Got serious doubts about the finishing of the series after coming to this forum. Rational arguments sway me. Want to be optimistic, but feels wishful. Only time will tell... 

On 12/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, Yaya said:

@gnuee there will be more to read!   (great 1st post btw)

& both you & @Uncle-T are spot on about the writing; never in all my years of reading have i reread a series of novels so much ... i have read & reread & re-reread these books so many times i have lost track.  it's the kind of writing that just pulls you into the story & keeps you thinking on it. 
these novels are the most economical enjoyable entertainment i have ever purchased - thanks GRRM !

I’ve never reread a book in my life (& I’m 50), but I think this series might be my first...but we’ll see, the jury is still out!

@Uncle-T i would recommend a re-read as there is so much that goes on ... what a great way to celebrate being "L"! 
Happy L to you!  :cheers:

this is my suggestion after you complete the first read through:   try reading by characters, for example read all the Jon chapters.  this way you get the whole action-line of the character and you especially notice the interactions that happen.

You know that feeling of falling in love with new characters? Enjoy it. Soon they will be like old friends. And the joy of anticipation? The thrill of new plotlines and twists? That aching need to find out what happens in the next book? Get used to those feelings. They will be there for a few more decades until the next book is finished! :D

11 hours ago, Yaya said:

@Uncle-T i would recommend a re-read as there is so much that goes on ... what a great way to celebrate being "L"! 
Happy L to you!  :cheers:

this is my suggestion after you complete the first read through:   try reading by characters, for example read all the Jon chapters.  this way you get the whole action-line of the character and you especially notice the interactions that happen.

Not a bad idea...that was one frustration of mine while reading the series...he always ends the chapters as cliff-hangers, and I so wanted to jump to that character's next chapter!!!

2 hours ago, Uncle-T said:

Hey, how does one register/create an account on "A Wiki of Ice and Fire"? I've obviously created my account on "A Forum of Ice and Fire", and I've posted well over 5 times, so what's the trick to creating an account in "A Wiki of Ice and Fire"?

@Ran's the person you need to contact.

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/forum/121-wiki-account-registration/

Just request it with the username you want, tag the King, you'll get a mail IIRC, reset default password and enjoy! 

Hope it was helpful! :)

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 1:53 PM, TheLastWolf said:

:P :D :rofl:

Cynical. Nihilist. Wolfie. Me. My name is self explanatory. TheLastWolf 

Got serious doubts about the finishing of the series after coming to this forum. Rational arguments sway me. Want to be optimistic, but feels wishful. Only time will tell... 

I feel the same. I’ve am expecting we will see a Jordan-esque resolution and a Sanderson will be found. I honestly don’t think his heart is in it esp after aDwD. 

7 hours ago, Solaris said:

I feel the same. I’ve am expecting we will see a Jordan-esque resolution and a Sanderson will be found. I honestly don’t think his heart is in it esp after aDwD. 

I bet we'd love to be proven wrong if it means seeing the end of the series in our lifetime 

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I bet we'd love to be proven wrong if it means seeing the end of the series in our lifetime 

Yes. This isn’t WoT, it’s not that simple for someone else to just waltz in and try to think like GRRM does. Good thing I have at least 60year left to wait :P

4 hours ago, Solaris said:

This isn’t WoT, it’s not that simple for someone else to just waltz in and try to think like GRRM does

Pardon? 

4 hours ago, Solaris said:

Good thing I have at least 60year left to wait :P

Same here. If cancer, diabetes or apocalypse doesn't strike first. 

34 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Pardon? 

Same here. If cancer, diabetes or apocalypse doesn't strike first. 

As in yes I’d like to be proven wrong, sorry wasn’t very clear, I don’t think anyone could take over for GRRM like Sanderson did for Jordan. although I could imagine a small group of the biggest and most competent fans in collaboration having a red hot crack at it and probably doing it some justice.

I wouldn’t be so mad at it if the apocalypse included actual zombies tho #justsayin

Just now, Solaris said:

As in yes I’d like to be proven wrong, sorry wasn’t very clear, I don’t think anyone could take over for GRRM like Sanderson did for Jordan. although I could imagine a small group of the biggest and most competent fans in collaboration having a red hot crack at it and probably doing it some justice

Got it. No substitute replacement possible for GRRM. 

1 minute ago, Solaris said:

wouldn’t be so mad at it if the apocalypse included actual zombies tho #justsayin

And killer robots. You forget them. Then it's fun. Sorry Cameron, Arnold. 

• 1 month later...

You are not the only one (or were not if you've finished it by now), I've also started reading book last year at the beginning of pandemic. English isn't my first tongue and I'm also a slow reader so now after a year I've just started my way through ADWD. Yup, even from the beginning chapters it's obvious that we're facing with a deep book. Far more complex than at least AFFC( that I liked despite having been heard that might not be as rich as the first three books). 

Archived