Hoster was a really awful person

Alyn Oakenfist

46 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

He was certainly willing to try and get his brother to marry into the Redwynes.

Are we talking about the House Redwyne that controls a third of the realm's fleets and that is probably as rich and powerful as all the Iron Isles combined, not to mention closely inter married to the Tyrells?

On 10/19/2020 at 12:43 PM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

100% disagree that he was at the center of this so-called anti Targ conspiracy and that any of the people named were planning some coup against the Targs. Hoster is still looking to bolster his family ties well after the rebellion when he has the genius idea of marrying Edmure to Arianne. I think he's doing it to try and preserve a balance of power. I also wrote about it here.

Hoster Tully is exactly like Walder Frey. He leveraged his loyalty to the rebels through marriage. House Frey's coming into the War of the Five Kings on the Stark side is a copy/paste of Hoster entering Robert's Rebellion on the side of Stark, Arryn and Baratheon. If Jon Connington had gone to him first and accepted his terms, then we might have a very different story altogether. 

So Hoster calling Walder Frey "The Late Lord Walder" makes him a complete hypocrite because his ass might have ended up sitting out the rebellion like the Freys did if he hadn't been approached by either faction. 

:agree:

Well, I think I used the wrong example.

The point I was trying to get across is that relatively high-ranking members of Great Lords' families have married people considerably lower than their station.

Though I wonder why Hoster never considered having Lysa marry Stannis...

36 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

The point I was trying to get across is that relatively high-ranking members of Great Lords' families have married people considerably lower than their station.

Which is not what Hoster wants. He negotiated marriages across the board for his children to the heirs of their Houses. Catelyn to Brandon, Lysa to Jaime. And he wanted Arianne for Edmure. 

38 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Though I wonder why Hoster never considered having Lysa marry Stannis...

Stannis is a second son and not worth his time or energy.

Just now, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Which is not what Hoster wants. He negotiated marriages across the board for his children to the heirs of their Houses. Catelyn to Brandon, Lysa to Jaime. And he wanted Arianne for Edmure. 

Stannis is a second son and not worth his time or energy.

So in the case of Arianne and Edmure, how would the inheritance be divvied up?

On 10/20/2020 at 7:07 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

- She finally went into her profound sadness when "her moonsblood came some days later". I think that her moonblood coming later is alias for the forced abortion.

So the abortion must have happened some 2 or 3 weeks after the wedding (the time it takes from a successful conception (Cat's to be precise) to the first period going missing). So taking that into account, the abortion must have happened several moons in.

I'm not so sure about this.  It's not unusual for a woman to be late with her period.  I think it just means that Lysa got her hopes up that she was pregnant.

She may not have liked Jon Arryn but that doesn't mean she wouldn't have wanted a child with him.  After all she was pretty devoted to Sweet Robin (I assume that's her child with Arryn...)

It also appears that Lysa told her father that she was pregnant with Petyr's child.  I doubt she would have told him this if she was married to Jon Arryn at the time:

That was so clever ... you were always clever, I told Father that, I said Petyr's so clever, he'll rise high, he will, he will, and he's sweet and gentle and I have his little baby in my belly...

I think ithat Lysa conceived her first child while Baelish was healing from the duel.  After Baelish was sent away, she tried to talk her father into letting her marry him and probably revealed that she was pregnant with Petyr's child to try to force her father's hand.  Instead he gave her moon tea.

When Hoster mentions "the blood" in association with the Tansy, probably has more to do with Littlefinger's bloodline than it does any actual blood that Lysa suffered from the abortion.  Either Littlefinger was too low born or else Hoster had a more specific problem with Petyr's lineage.  Blood is often code for geneology or bloodline.

21 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

So in the case of Arianne and Edmure, how would the inheritance be divvied up?

I'm assuming that this would have been discussed between Doran and Hoster had things gone somewhere. Doran has Quentyn as heir in waiting, while Hoster had only Edmure. So I think Arianne would have gone to the riverlands. 

All in all, though, I think what really matters is that Hoster would have managed to tie Dorne to House Tully. Three children, three Great House marriages. Imagine if his two other sons hadn't died in infancy.

3 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I'm assuming that this would have been discussed between Doran and Hoster had things gone somewhere. Doran has Quentyn as heir in waiting, while Hoster had only Edmure. So I think Arianne would have gone to the riverlands. 

All in all, though, I think what really matters is that Hoster would have managed to tie Dorne to House Tully. Three children, three Great House marriages. Imagine if his two other sons hadn't died in infancy.

The only reason that Doran considered Quentyn as his heir, is that he already had plans for Arianne and Viserys.  In Dorne the eldest inherits.  So if Doran didn't have his ulterior motives, it's doubtful that a match could have successfully been made between Arianne and Edmure.  Arianne would have inherited Dorne and Edmure would have inherited the Riverlands.  This match would have caused one of these two to lose their inheritence.

Archived