Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman sue Wizards of the Coast after it abandons new Dragonlance trilogy

C.T. Phipps

55 minutes ago, shortstark said:

Settlement? 

Would have to assume so.  The order says Weis and Hickman "gives notice that the above-captioned action is voluntarily dismissed."

Says they never even got to the discovery phase.  So I'm with you that it must have been settled outside of court.

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

On her Facebook page, Weis announced that they have exciting news to share with their fans soon. So probably not a settlement.

Unless the settlement allows them to release the novels somehow...

13 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

On her Facebook page, Weis announced that they have exciting news to share with their fans soon. So probably not a settlement.

A voluntary settlement would normally require a dismissal of the pending action.  Although a dismissal “without prejudice” is a bit unusual because it would allow Weis and Hickman to bring another action later.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:24 AM, Rhom said:

Unless the settlement allows them to release the novels somehow...

WotC would have to okay the release of the novels, they own the IP.

There's been rumours that Hasbro are going to clean house at WotC (but not sell them, a ludicrous idea some clickbait sites have been peddling for months) for months because WotC has just been lurching from one controversy to another to another, badly impacting their PR and image at a time when D&D is more popular than ever. They stripped Avalon Hill from WotC's authority and reportedly have been developing the D&D TV series with external writers without involvement from WotC's team. I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro had stepped in and told WotC to reinstate the books (possibly with a for-your-troubles sweetener) and stop acting like moronic arseholes.

On the plus side of things, the books will probably now sell twice the number of copies they would have done pre-controversy.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Don't know how legit this is, but it appears that the new book is coming out this summer:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2021/01/10/leaked-dragonlance-paperback-29-july-2021/

The last several Weis/Hickman DL releases were all initial Hardback runs... at least here in the States.  :dunno: 

Listen, not gonna lie... wherever I am in my ever growing "to be read" pile, I'm gonna read this the day it releases.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Wizards fold like a pack of cards.

The irony here is of course that the controversy means this trilogy will sell a lot more copies than if they'd just published it in the first place.

I thought this was interesting in your write up Wert:

(this will be only the fourth D&D-branded novel to be published in the last five years)

I knew I hadn't heard of anything, but didn't know just how sparse it had gotten.  At its height in the 90's, how many books a year would you say they were publishing?  2-3 Dragonlance, 2-3 Forgotten Realms; and a random Ravenloft or some such here and there?  Maybe 10 books a year?  More?

48 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I thought this was interesting in your write up Wert:

I knew I hadn't heard of anything, but didn't know just how sparse it had gotten.  At its height in the 90's, how many books a year would you say they were publishing?  2-3 Dragonlance, 2-3 Forgotten Realms; and a random Ravenloft or some such here and there?  Maybe 10 books a year?  More?

At a minimum, 14 a year. In 1990 they published 8 Forgotten Realms and 6 Dragonlance books. The following year they published 12 Forgotten Realms, 5 Dragonlance, 1 Dark Sun, 2 Spelljammer and 2 Ravenloft.

In 2017 they released 0 D&D-branded novels of any kind, the first year since 1983 in which that happened. In 2018, 2019 and 2020 they published 1 in each year. This year they should publish 2 (this Dragonlance book and the next Salvatore Drizzt novel).

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

At a minimum, 14 a year. In 1990 they published 8 Forgotten Realms and 6 Dragonlance books. The following year they published 12 Forgotten Realms, 5 Dragonlance, 1 Dark Sun, 2 Spelljammer and 2 Ravenloft.

In 2017 they released 0 D&D-branded novels of any kind, the first year since 1983 in which that happened. In 2018, 2019 and 2020 they published 1 in each year. This year they should publish 2 (this Dragonlance book and the next Salvatore Drizzt novel).

Wow... I figured I was on the low side, but that's more than I imagined.

12 minutes ago, stonebender said:

I'm surprised as recently as 2014 they still had six publications in that year.  Seems like Forgotten Realms novels aside from Salvatore have been effectively dead for longer than that.  

Yeah, they were pumping out a half-dozen books a year as recently as 5th Edition actually hitting the stands, which I think is more recently than people give them credit for.

The last wave of FR novels also seriously upped its game. Not so much Greenwood (who's always been a far better game designer than novelist) or Salvatore (who's been treading water for a long time), but Erin Evans' Brimstone Angels series was very good and Paul Kemp was still doing great work with Erevis Cale when things started winding down.

The weird thing is that the novels were still selling well, but it was moderate profits apart from Salvatore, who was a bigger hit, and it turns out that Hasbro wasn't interested in moderate profits, only massive paydays, which only Salvatore and Weis/Hickman give them.

Definitely confused by the actual press release now that I've read it

Lotta references to "Classic Dragonlance" and this line in particular:

The new trilogy will return fans to the most beloved characters from the original novels along with introducing a strong new protagonist.

So... what is this?  Doesn't seem to be set post War of Souls.  All the Classic references and "most beloved characters" make it sound like its set during the War of the Lance.  :dunno: 

ETA:  Tracy Hickman's website even uses the original DragonLance logo.

Okay. The last trilogy was somewhat...underwhelming...but it was essentially the trilogy I had written in my head about aspects of the original we didn't hear about...the Hammer of Kharsas, Ice Wall...so I read them and loved them in my way...before that, the War of Souls scratched an itch, and I was grateful they seemed to try to pull away and somewhat right a ship that was adrift...

I'm in for this new trilogy, regardless of its possible quality, as I have always grabbed Dragonlance when the original creators were involved...and if it's somehow set during the War of the Lance shoehorned into to, I'll grit my teeth and give them my money...

7 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I do need to buy and read that Hammer of Kharas book sometime.

I remember liking those Lost Chronicles books.  Couldn't tell you a thing about them though!

Archived