The prince and the pauper

James West

It is easier for a prince to convince everyone that he is a pauper.  But the opposite is much more difficult.  Any pauper attempting to claim he's a prince will have to provide solid proof.  Sansa was unwise to become LF's bastard.  The burden to provide proof will be on her shoulders. 

Indeed. The only proof that Alayne is Sansa is the honest word or Petyr Bailish. With her siblings its easier

"Roose Bolton has Lord Eddard's daughter. To thwart him White Harbor must have Ned's son … and the direwolf. The wolf will prove the boy is who we say he is, should the Dreadfort attempt to deny him.

But alas, the lady has no direwolf and its uncertain if Alayne can manifest her power without the solid proof of a shaggydog

Now, how do you suppose this queen will react when you turn up with your begging bowl in hand and say, 'Good morrow to you, Auntie. I am your nephew, Aegon, returned from the dead. I've been hiding on a poleboat all my life, but now I've washed the blue dye from my hair and I'd like a dragon, please

There are people who know what Sansa look like. The Lannisters, the Tyrells, her siblings, Tyrion, his clansmen, Bronn, Varys. That list is long AF. There are people in the Vale who likely suspect who she is. Yohn Royce almost recognized her. 

17 hours ago, James West said:

Sansa was unwise to become LF's bastard. 

Really? I'm not a Sansa stan by any stretch of the imagination, but this is such a stupid thing to say. Sansa is a 13 year old girl. What power does she have? What choices was she given? If she had the choice, she would have gone home to Winterfell. Doesn't that remind you of another 13 year old girl who was sold off as currency when all she wanted was to go back to the place she was happiest?

All she really has to do is undye her hair and announce who she really is.  Plenty of people already suspect.  Myranda Royce surely knows, which means that her father, Nestor, likely does as well.  Yohn Royce suspects, so will likely believe it, and I think Anya Waynewood (Harry's guardian) may know as well.

Given that Sansa was a prominent member of Joffrey's court, there are plenty of people that could recognize her, even if none of them is currently in the Vale at the moment.  Confirming her identity isn't likely to be a problem. 

And it's not as if she has someone else running around pretending to be her, which is a problem (one of many) Arya is going to have when and if she decides to be Arya Stark again.

All she really has to do is undye her hair and announce who she really is.  Plenty of people already suspect.

Yes, and King's Landing must be full of people who will recognize her ... although some of them might have reasons to deny it.  

Also, she has the "Tully look." She has a strong resemblance to Catelyn, at least enough to stir Littlefinger's passions.

And it's not as if she has someone else running around pretending to be her, which is a problem (one of many) Arya is going to have when and if she decides to be Arya Stark again.

I respectfully disagree about this.  If Arya confronts Jeyne, Jeyne will probably drop the pretense and tearfully confess the truth.  And Arya has the "Stark look;" with both of them side by side for all to see, it will be obvious which one is real.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:06 PM, James West said:

It is easier for a prince to convince everyone that he is a pauper.  But the opposite is much more difficult.  Any pauper attempting to claim he's a prince will have to provide solid proof.  Sansa was unwise to become LF's bastard.  The burden to provide proof will be on her shoulders. 

Lots of people can still confirm that she is Sansa Stark. Any member of Robert or Joffrey's court, any number of northern lords, Jeyne Pool, Jon Snow, Theon . . . even Chella if someone were to, say, try and sneak her through the Mountains of the Moon.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:39 PM, Nathan Stark said:

All she has to do to prove the truth that she is who she says she is is to meet up with Jon Snow, who would recognise her. Saying Sansa was unwise to become Littlefinger's bastard implies she had a choice. She didn't.

Jon Snow was dying the last time we saw him.  He is a known breaker of oath.  He arranged the marriage of a Karstark to a wildling man.  He set Mance Rayder loose on the north.  I do not think his word will carry any weight.

7 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

He is a known breaker of oath.  He arranged the marriage of a Karstark to a wildling man. 

I shall not marry a northern girl to a wildling. Was it in the vows? Pretty sure only dark creepy things shall get their asses whipped by me forever etc. 

7 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

He set Mance Rayder loose on the north.

:shocked:

On 10/19/2020 at 11:06 PM, James West said:

Sansa is not known for being smart.  She follows anybody who could get her to where she wants.  She's a follower.  

On 10/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

The best she can do, and it isn't proof by any means, is to get testimony from people.  And ofcourse people do not lie!!!!  So yes, it will be a very, very steep hill to climb.  One that I think she will not be able to climb.  Sansa will be Allayne until the day she dies. 

Sansa is the Un-Stark.  The loss of her dire wolf is the proof.  She can never be one of the dire wolf pack.  She has longed for grander things for as long as she can remember.  It would be grand irony if she gets brought down to bastard.

2 hours ago, Wisconsin said:

Sansa is the Un-Stark.  The loss of her dire wolf is the proof.  She can never be one of the dire wolf pack.  She has longed for grander things for as long as she can remember.  It would be grand irony if she gets brought down to bastard.

The best part of the Alayne storyline is having her live with the hardships of being a noble bastard and confront the bullying she did to Jon because of it.

Archived