US Politics- Mute-iny on the bounty

Fury Resurrected

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

I've seen those rumors too but I don't buy them.  Both because of what I said above - I think Biden's gonna want someone he's more familiar with there - and because if he's UN Ambassador he's not really gonna be able to be a TV advocate which is what everybody loves about him right now.  He can still do that as VA Secretary.

I supported him in the primaries, and remain invested.  I think actually he would be a good pick as DNC chair with communications as a big part of his job and also build up the party in Texas, Indiana etc.  It would be a good way to groom him for a bigger job (and he ran for it previously).  

That said, I think he'll want the UN ambassador job for the prestige.  

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Some Dutch security expert got into Trump's twitter account last week by guessing his password, which was .... "maga2020!"

Not the Onion.

He said it took him 5 guesses to get in.

Apparently the same expert got into Trump's account before in 2016 when his password was "yourefired".

NY Times out with what looks like a well-sourced report that Russia's FSB has been seen probing and infiltrating state and local systems, and they believe they have a sense of what the Russians are planning to do. Absolutely no evidence that they have compromised the actual election systems, but instead "officials expect that if the presidential race is not called on election night, Russian groups could use their knowledge of local computer systems to deface websites, release nonpublic info or take similar steps that could sow chaos & doubts about the integrity of the results."

Again, so far no evidence they've cracked any voting machine or election tracking backends, and in many states there's more auditing and paper trails available than ever before. But even some confusion after the election, county websites claiming one result when it's actually another and so on, would be potentially bad if people are too credulous and don't understand it's just superficial shenanigans.

re: Trump's Twitter password,

Twitter came out and said, explicitly, that they've seen no evidence that the twitter account was compromised. Could be this guy is pulling everyone's leg.

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

re: Trump's Twitter password,

Twitter came out and said, explicitly, that they've seen no evidence that the twitter account was compromised. Could be this guy is pulling everyone's leg.

I would put it in the too-good-to-true category unless he posted screenshots or something.  

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

The New York Times sources really need to clarify what the fuck "limited" means:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/22/us/trump-biden-debate-tonight#russia-poses-a-bigger-election-threat-than-iran-many-us-officials-say

"Limited" does not mean "non existent."

Long article by a CIA operative concerning those mysterious sonic attacks suffered by US personnel in Cuba, China and elsewhere.

https://www.gq.com/story/cia-investigation-and-russian-microwave-attacks

....He has also grown alarmed that the Agency and this administration are neither investigating nor pushing back against the apparent perpetrators who are targeting his old comrades—and other Americans—in increasingly brazen ways. (In a statement to GQ, CIA representatives said that “the Agency’s top priority is the health and well-being of our officers followed very closely by collecting on hard targets, including Russia, and providing that intelligence to policymakers. Suggestions otherwise in your story are simply not true.”)

“There is a lot of incredible unease and disgust with the Agency leadership and the Office of Medical Services on this issue,” Polymeropoulos told me. That leadership, he says, “has not done right by us.” “There’s a lot of people who are very upset. And how can I say this? The Agency is going to have to answer for this.”....

1 hour ago, Fez said:

The rumor I saw going around (no idea how credible it is), is that he was being slotted for UN Ambassador. Which, I think would be a good spot. In a normal administration its an important position, and if there's a second Biden term/first Harris term, he could get bumped up to something even higher profile.

Would not be surprised, depending on where he ends up and how that goes, to see him bumped to second seat if it's Harris leading the ticket in 2024...

24 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Would not be surprised, depending on where he ends up and how that goes, to see him bumped to second seat if it's Harris leading the ticket in 2024...

I would love to see that.

The whole post-2020 political scene within the Dem party is going to be fascinating.  I personally was unimpressed with Kamala's debate performance against Pence and, more generally, don't know whether she has the political judgment and management skills to be a good president. 

Biden needed to pick her for a smooth 2020 election and she's brought that to the ticket.  But there are others who are more talented politicians and managers.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Agreed I think he'd make a great choice as DNC chair.

I'd think he should be trying for a senate seat, except he lives in Indiana.   He could try for Pete Visclosky's seat if that Pete is willing i suppose.  He's pretty old.  I'm sure Pete has his own plans though.

14 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I would love to see that.

The whole post-2020 political scene within the Dem party is going to be fascinating.  I personally was unimpressed with Kamala's debate performance against Pence and, more generally, don't know whether she has the political judgment and management skills to be a good president. 

Biden needed to pick her for a smooth 2020 election and she's brought that to the ticket.  But there are others who are more talented politicians and managers.  

Assuming Biden wins, then there is almost no chance that Harris isn't the nominee next time Biden isn't on the ballot. Basically the only chance would be if he replaced her with someone else in 2024 and won re-election with the new VP (and I'd be very surprised if Biden did this).

22 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

don't know whether she has the political judgment and management skills to be a good president. 

Political skills are almost entirely subjective, but in terms of managerial/administrative skills, Harris has a whole hell of a lot more and better experience than Buttigieg or any of other rising Dem star I can think of.

People talking to Politico are claiming that Bernie Sanders has expressed interest to Biden in being Secretary of Labor. Interesting.

I'd say VA is pretty good for Buttigieg, but I can't help but wonder if something like some DNC role that lets him get out there on the talking head circuit and then running for governor in 2022 or senator in 2024 might not be an approach to setting up for 2028 (either as a potential VP or for President). Hard to prognosticate these things, of course.         

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Bipartisan commission?! When the other party consists of raging trumpists and fascists who've packed the courts to the brims? You've got to be tucking kidding me..

"The last thing we need to do is turn the Supreme Court into just a political football"... well, newsflash: That ship has sailed a while ago.

Biden is trying to win an election 

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

but wonder if something like some DNC role that lets him get out there on the talking head circuit and then running for governor in 2022 or senator in 2024 might not be an approach to setting up for 2028 (either as a potential VP or for President)

I'd agree except DNC chair has a lotta potential to be a net negative if he runs in a national primary again.  He's bound to make plenty of intraparty enemies in such a role even if he does successfully accommodate/pacify the left (which would be a tall order for any DNC chair).

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I'd agree except DNC chair has a lotta potential to be a net negative if he runs in a national primary again.  He's bound to make plenty of intraparty enemies in such a role even if he does successfully accommodate/pacify the left (which would be a tall order for any DNC chair).

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind after I posted. And it might read as way too partisan a starting point for a run at a seat in Indiana, anyways.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

Political skills are almost entirely subjective, but in terms of managerial/administrative skills, Harris has a whole hell of a lot more and better experience than Buttigieg or any of other rising Dem star I can think of.

Would be interested to understand your reasoning.  What I read about her time as California AG was not flattering.

Archived