US Politics- Mute-iny on the bounty

Fury Resurrected

7 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

aw, it got deleted. It was a pic of McConnnell's horrifyingly odd hands and comparing them to the hand of Vecna

Holy geez, that's a sick man. Disease causes that. There are blood circulation diseases that darken your hands. I don't think, for example, he has frostbite...

Those bruises on his hand make me think he's getting some kind of drip, the bruising caused by the needle. My mom had small veins and sometimes a line went in her hand.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

He tried to destroy a horcrux.

That was....good!

Seriously speaking, what’s the rule in Kentucky if a sitting senator dies while in office? Does the governor appoint someone for the rest of his term, or does an election have to be held?

Remember, McConnell hasn’t been to the WH in months because he was concerned about how they were dealing with Covid-19. Well, if he’s seriously sick I’m not surprised. The big surprise in retrospect is that he risked the Rose Garden event.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

People talking to Politico are claiming that Bernie Sanders has expressed interest to Biden in being Secretary of Labor. Interesting.

I'd say VA is pretty good for Buttigieg, but I can't help but wonder if something like some DNC role that lets him get out there on the talking head circuit and then running for governor in 2022 or senator in 2024 might not be an approach to setting up for 2028 (either as a potential VP or for President). Hard to prognosticate these things, of course.         

As a Sanders supporter this would please me greatly.

1 minute ago, Impmk2 said:

Looks to me like he's on some sort of blood thinners? Could be pretty much anything - DVT, lupus etc.

My mom was on blood thinners for years. Blood thinners do not do that to your hands.

eta: you do bruise more easily, true, but that does not seem to be the major problem here. And you bruise when you bump into things.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

My mom was on blood thinners for years. Blood thinners do not do that to your hands.

Depends on a lot of factors. A dosage, person, etc. My father was on them for a DVT, some of the bruises he got were pretty amazing, whole arm was black at one point.

23 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm not calling the upset or anything; just saying that if anything derails her nomination, it'll be this. Biden has to bring it up tonight though; he won't get another chance before the Senate votes to confirm. Hopefully, Pelosi uses this opportunity to announce a struck deal with the WH, and use that to jam McConnell on the confirmation vote.

If it doesn't derail her nomination, it probably hands control of the Senate to Democrats. I will call that one.

I really don't see how it would jam him. The benefits Trump could get from a new stimulus package won't be felt before the election, so it doesn't matter if they pass them after her nomination is complete. 

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Seriously speaking, what’s the rule in Kentucky if a sitting senator dies while in office? Does the governor appoint someone for the rest of his term, or does an election have to be held?

Here's the NCSL's comprehensive list on Senate vacancies.  In Kentucky's case the governor would appoint a replacement until the 2022 elections which would choose a replacement for the rest of his term - assuming of course he wins.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That was....good!

Remember, McConnell hasn’t been to the WH in months because he was concerned about how they were dealing with Covid-19. Well, if he’s seriously sick I’m not surprised. The big surprise in retrospect is that he risked the Rose Gardsn event.

McConnell's main goal over the last two decades has been to reshape the courts. People don't follow the lower courts, but the SC is front and center. His actions have shown he doesn't care what people who don't like him think. Perhaps he's willing to be so nakedly shameless with this nomination because he knows he's knocking on Death's door.

7 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Also, I have lupus, it also does not do this to your hands

Sorry I'm not trying to say that lupus will do this for your hands, I'm saying that a high dose of blood thinners, commonly prescribed in people who have recently had a clot or with a very high risk of clots, can cause epic bruising. Which is what I see looking at that photo. But this is all just speculation.

5 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Yup.  He wasn't there actually, which I thought was a bit fishy. 

And the appointment in KY is by governor:https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate637302453.aspx  

I thought people here were saying “please God, McConnell too!” when all the Covid victims were being announced, so I thought he was there.

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Bipartisan commission?! When the other party consists of raging trumpists and fascists who've packed the courts to the brims? You've got to be tucking kidding me..

This, in my view, is a smart move, because it shuts up reporters in 2020 while committing Biden to precisely nothing in 2021. In ASOIAF terms, it's as if Robb Stark had called for a Great Council after the Battle of the Camps, instead of accepting the kingship of the North. Such a call pisses off no one, and it's a position from which Robb can pivot in any direction he likes. 

Archived