What do you do?

Stannis Eats No Peaches

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I mean, to determine that, you would kind of need to tell us how old you are exactly, no? ;)

Old enough to be considered a man grown by Westerosi standards, but not old enough to vote against Trump :D

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

But generally, there are/have been teenagers/high-schoolers on the board before, it is just that many don't come to General Chat, but instead stay north of the Wall (in the book forums) or Forum Games.

Right observation. I'm just dipping an oar into Literature, Entertainment and General Chat from time to time. North of the Wall is my natural habitat. Wildling. 

Oof! Timely question as it’s something I’m struggling with at the moment.

I am a life underwriter, underwriting mortality and morbidity. I can read a P+L and balance sheet, so the departmental go to on that. I’ve been moved into a new section where I’m 50% data analysis and prepping presentations for execs. I’m also supposed to be facilitating change for old team, so prepping problem statements, solution papers and liasing with IT, and trying to make the dept grumbling actionable.

my old team has new managers who are  heavily consulting  with me on management and I’m prepping a few of their resourcing pitches.

im just struggling to identify how I can leverage what I’m doing into promotions. I’m as senior as you can be without going into mgt with personal reports. I like what i do, and I’m good at it, but not sure I want to do it for he next 30 years. Do I go hard into data, requiring leaning sql/r, with some competing with the actuaries but coming from an ops POV. Do I go down change mgt. I’m torn.

I've wanted to be a journalist since seventh grade, as I recall, and - surprisingly enough - I am, for almost a quarter of the century, not counting a brief, 4-year period on the other side of the barricade, as a spokesman of the cargo railway company about 10 years ago.

I'm also a graduate of journalism and political science at the Warsaw University, so there's that.

I've been working in a big daily newspaper for the first six years, then a monthly magazine and business news portal, and now, for the last few years, I work for the small, private own business press agency, which - surprisingly again - gives me enormous amount of satisfaction. 

On 10/21/2020 at 10:48 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I’m a trainee curator in a small regional museum so this year I’ve curated an exhibition, overseen a few other projects such as updating the guidebook, and updating some interpretation signs - a lot of social media stuff, making little videos, trying to engage people, a lot of blog writing and helped kick start a museum podcast. Traineeship was supposed to be finished by now but I’ve been extended for a few weeks and I’ve been offered a full time role in the museum afterwards that is actually a proper job and not just a paid internship. So am over the moon really. 

Starting Monday I’ll be the new Exhibitions and Engagement Officer at my museum !! So happy. 

This thread has been a lot of fun to read -- I remember reading about career dreams/challenges from almost every single one of you at some point or another -- some of you from when you just started university, even. It's so cool to see how things have changed (or not changed!) in the intervening years. :love:

On 10/24/2020 at 3:15 PM, lacuna said:

I'm a freelance translator, and make (or scrape) a living doing subtitles for Netflix here in Norway.

cool, I'm just watching a Translating Europe Forum conference with a guy from Netflix talking about how localisation and translating for Netflix works. Really interesting. (Second speaker in the video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AgN8AahHkE&list=PLLqIRaiVCGCSHIfKC-selPoY6IS_hfsXj&index=9

I'm also a tranaslator myself, but for more boring stuff :p

I'm an architect leading a studio of 11 in a company of ~500.  Next may will be 25 years and I don't know how many projects.  I do work in a large number of building types but spend most of my time focusing on educational design and building envelope commissioning.  

On 10/24/2020 at 12:54 AM, kairparavel said:

It was a very good decision as the LSSGB led to my promotion as Quality Lead for almost four years, and ultimately let me pursue a position in a completely different field after I was furloughed in March. I now work for a public transportation agency in Regulatory Compliance. 

Quality is a good move! It's the same story in my profession. I know I should get myself a quality qualification but it just bores me - even though it's essential. 

On 11/5/2020 at 1:11 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

This thread has been a lot of fun to read -- I remember reading about career dreams/challenges from almost every single one of you at some point or another -- some of you from when you just started university, even. It's so cool to see how things have changed (or not changed!) in the intervening years. :love:

I’ve been here since I was 18 I think so would have just started uni :D 

8 hours ago, Girl with Curious Hair said:

I just spend all day trying to quit smoking cigarettes thinking it is the most painstaking thing in the world. Hence, I give up and mess my life up again. Because it is too hard to quit. They are the bees knees. OR: I try to tell myself that I can, I can, I can and once I did. I really freakin' did. In July of 2019! I went to the hospital, and they helped me out. Then it so happened that I couldn't quit. 

I know there is a motivating book by Allen Carr, it is said it really helps. It helped my friend... but only 2 times.  After the second return to the addiction it did not work and he had to find the strenght inside of himself :-P

Archived