Had Robert not been available who would Cersei have married?

Alyn Oakenfist

57 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So Tywin obviously had grand designs for his daughter, nothing less then Queen seemed to have satisfied him. However had he not managed that (either Rhaegar winning the rebellion or Robert choosing another) who would he have settled on?

A lord of a major house of the Westerlands. Or maybe Willas Tyrell, or Renly Baratheon, even if these two are below his age with almost 10 years.

I agree with both of you that nothing short of queen would have satisfied Tywin (and Cersei because of her prophecy) and that while both of your suggested matches (Renly and Willas) make a lot of sense, I'd say your Renly suggestion fits best. Tywin is a man who can make things happen and if Robert wed another and Cersei wed Renly, I bet that hunting accident would have happened a lot sooner...and Stannis maybe even before Robert since Baratheons have had some bad luck at sea in the past. Anyway, good topic here.

6 hours ago, Mad King Bolton said:

I agree with both of you that nothing short of queen would have satisfied Tywin (and Cersei because of her prophecy) and that while both of your suggested matches (Renly and Willas) make a lot of sense, I'd say your Renly suggestion fits best. Tywin is a man who can make things happen and if Robert wed another and Cersei wed Renly, I bet that hunting accident would have happened a lot sooner...and Stannis maybe even before Robert since Baratheons have had some bad luck at sea in the past. Anyway, good topic here.

People think Tywin's the Godfather...

37 minutes ago, Gramse said:

Or perhaps she was saved for Viserys should he ever manage to return with an army?

After he had butchered his family??

27 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Benjen, Edmure, Lancel comes to mind, but what I really wanted to see is a dark comedy about nobody favorite couple, Stannis and Cersei.

Stannis would actually be the best suitor. They are the same age, Stannis is a great lord-ish and the brother of the King and Tywin is desperate to cling onto royalty.

1 minute ago, frenin said:

Stannis would actually be the best suitor. They are the same age, Stannis is a great lord-ish and the brother of the King and Tywin is desperate to cling onto royalty.

For Tywin's criteria I agree, he checks everything that you said, but personality? Oh boy that's a great plot for dark comedy series. Wich spouse kills the other first.

1 hour ago, Arthur Peres said:

For Tywin's criteria I agree, he checks everything that you said, but personality? Oh boy that's a great plot for dark comedy series. Wich spouse kills the other first.

I happen to think that they would actually work out. Jaime's not around, the crown doesn't turn Cersei even more of an asshole, no Robert around to mistreat her, this man would not cheat on her anyway.

Stannis doesn't get a hairy female version of him,

They wouldn't be Ned and Cat but they would at least have offspring and wouldn't make each other's lives impossible. 

Just now, frenin said:

I happen to think that they would actually work out. Jaime's not around, the crown doesn't turn Cersei even more of an asshole, no Robert around to mistreat her, this man would not cheat on her anyway.

Stannis doesn't get a hairy female version of him,

They wouldn't be Ned and Cat but they would at least have offspring and wouldn't make each other's lives impossible. 

I think it would be worse than Robert, Stannis does not lust for Seysie because she has more hair on her face than him, this would not be the case with Cersei. Unlike Robert that was attractive on the start of the marriage, Stannis would be a huge turn off for someone that dreamed for Rhaegar and slept with Jaime.

Stannis also has a dull personality, and does not drink, unlike Robert he would take matters into his own hands and not listen or give Cersei powers that she wants, wich would piss her even more, and probably wanted to kill him.

Jaime would still be around, remember Stannis is in KL to serve his seat in the Small Council, and he is not dumb like Robert, if she try that affair (and she would) Stannis would execute her.

The game would be who kills the other faster. The two of them have the potential to be the most disfunction marriage.

1 minute ago, Arthur Peres said:

I think it would be worse than Robert, Stannis does not lust for Seysie because she has more hair on her face than him, this would not be the case with Cersei. Unlike Robert that was attractive on the start of the marriage, Stannis would be a huge turn off for someone that dreamed for Rhaegar and slept with Jaime.

Come on now, the first gorgeous girl that is available for Stannis, he bangs her without qualms. Selyse is Selyse, Stannis seems like an average looking guy and i've never said that they would happy but that they don't murder each other.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Stannis also has a dull personality, and does not drink, unlike Robert he would take matters into his own hands and not listen or give Cersei powers that she wants, wich would piss her even more, and probably wanted to kill him.

Stannis has little power, that's one of the things of marrying to him instead of Robert, Stannis only has Dragonstone and his fleet to offer, What proxy influence is she going to exert on him??

She and Robert are likely to hook up anyway.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Jaime would still be around, remember Stannis is in KL to serve his seat in the Small Council, and he is not dumb like Robert, if she try that affair (and she would) Stannis would execute her.

Stannis dumped his wife and daughter in Dragonstone, unless Jaime is travelling to Dragonstone weekly or monthly, which would be  suspicious,  the affair can't be conducted in the same manner if at all, nor Stannis is the type of man to pass out drunk while being cuckolded.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

The game would be who kills the other faster. The two of them have the potential to be the most disfunction marriage.

Nah, they would be fine n their misery, like most of westerosi bethrothed.

3 minutes ago, frenin said:

Stannis dumped his wife and daughter in Dragonstone, unless Jaime is travelling to Dragonstone weekly or monthly, which would be  suspicious,  the affair can't be conducted in the same manner if at all, nor Stannis is the type of man to pass out drunk while being cuckolded.

Fair point, but this is the kind of behaviour that would make her more eager to kill him. Cersei is petty, spoiled and vindictive, .

And I agree that Stannis would not be fooled and cucked like Robert, but I do belive Cersei would try to do it anyway, and that's what will got her or Stannis killed.

8 minutes ago, frenin said:

Stannis has little power, that's one of the things of marrying to him instead of Robert, Stannis only has Dragonstone and his fleet to offer, What proxy influence is she going to exert on him??

He still a lord, he rules his castle, and Cersei is the kind of person that would want to take the lead, appointments, taxes, reform, she pushed names into Robert's KG, and his squires.

10 minutes ago, frenin said:

She and Robert are likely to hook up anyway.

Robert does seems to be the kind of douche to cuck his own brother. lol

3 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Fair point, but this is the kind of behaviour that would make her more eager to kill him. Cersei is petty, spoiled and vindictive, .

And I agree that Stannis would not be fooled and cucked like Robert, but I do belive Cersei would try to do it anyway, and that's what will got her or Stannis killed.

That's 16 straight years Queen Cersei. not Lady Cersei.

Like most of us, her worst traits amplified with power.

But if you're set onto believng she's just doing the stupid thing i can't change that.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

He still a lord, he rules his castle, and Cersei is the kind of person that would want to take the lead, appointments, taxes, reform, she pushed names into Robert's KG, and his squires.

Again, proxy power is just different. Cersei would be having the kind of power Cat has, she'd be running the castle and household. What taxes, what appointments??

You're talking about Queen Cersei, Lady Cersei do not have such leverage. 

42 minutes ago, frenin said:

Again, proxy power is just different. Cersei would be having the kind of power Cat has, she'd be running the castle and household. What taxes, what appointments??

You're talking about Queen Cersei, Lady Cersei do not have such leverage. 

Maybe, I don't quite understand Westeros burocracy, but Stannis still has squires to take, pages, master of horses, master of arms and he named Davos a lord and knight, Cersei will want this kind of power. 

6 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

I'm not so sure they'd actually be as bad a match as you think. Cersei hates Robert because he still loves(ed) Lyanna, I dont see Stan the man getting so drunk at his own wedding that he says the wrong name in bed.

And it seems in his character to either remain faithful to Cersei or, at the very least, have much more disrection that Robert.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived