Why isn't SweetRobin dead already?

Nathan Stark

Here is what we know:

Sweetsleep is an incredibly potent toxin. One pinch can make a grown man drowsy, two pinches can knock him out for hours, and three can kill him.

But SweetRobin is a frail little boy. He's been getting more doses of the stuff than is advisable, and Littlefinger tells Sansa point blank that SweetRobin will die. So we have at least Littlefinger's intent to murder SweetRobin, likely through an overdose of sweetsleep.

Which begs the question... Why hasn't the child already died from sweetsleep? He should be dead already.

Not only that, we are told that it never leaves the flesh, so he shoudl absolutely be dead.

Also a few grains calm a grown man's nerves, yet SR, a small, frail boy, takes a pinch to calm his nerves and then travels down a mountain. 

Because he is a metaphor for a sickly young greenseer sitting a weirwood throne, the Sweetsleep is metaphorical weirwood paste.  (roban is a gaelic "pet name for a young boy")

Aire means “fishing weir” in gaelic (origin of both arryn and eyrie?)

The Eyrie has white towers in a circle, on a (very) high hill, sickly boy sits a weirwood throne, boy hears singers, walls are white marble, weirwood moon door. 

Liss means “garth, fairy fort, and circular palisade” in gaelic

Lios-araich means “nursery for plants” (sounds close to Lysa Arryn)

“Lysa's apartments opened over a small garden, a circle of dirt and grass planted with blue flowers and ringed on all sides by tall white towers.”  (white tower ring around a garth and Liss means garth)

The Arryn sigil is a falcon eclipsing the moon, and falcus in gaelic means "shadow" and falcaire means "reaper" (the Shadow is the grim reaper)

There is a book called the Moon Pool, that has a Moon Door, which the moon light opens up and "it leads to a lower region of wonder and horror"  and going into a weirwood cave or into the weirwood net is entering a region of wonder and horror.

ETA: just flipping through my hindi/english dictionary, pitr means "father" and he is (probably) Robin's dad.  And patur means "prostitute, or one who frequents prostitutes"  and pitari means "payment"

Sansa will murder him in the next book.  Death is coming for him.  He remains alive because his body has gotten accustomed to the slow increase in dosage.  But soon, pretty soon, he will succumb to the poison.  Sansa will administer the lethal dose because she will again let her attraction to a man and what he has to offer screw up her morals. 

10 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Here is what we know:

Sweetsleep is an incredibly potent toxin. One pinch can make a grown man drowsy, two pinches can knock him out for hours, and three can kill him.

But SweetRobin is a frail little boy. He's been getting more doses of the stuff than is advisable, and Littlefinger tells Sansa point blank that SweetRobin will die. So we have at least Littlefinger's intent to murder SweetRobin, likely through an overdose of sweetsleep.

Which begs the question... Why hasn't the child already died from sweetsleep? He should be dead already.

Accustomed to slow increase of dosage. Will die when it makes plot convenient. 

I think he is still alive because Westeros will be led by the "weak," disabled characters. The Sams, Tyrions, Sansas, Brans, and Sweetrobins. I also don't think there is a plot to murder SR. I think LF is just being negligent about the sweetsleep, needs the medication to calm him in public events, and expects him to die of his shaking fits anyway. LF has time to spare and needs SR alive right now. Especially when the Harry plot falls through.

Sweetrobin is important to Sansa's development too. She's learning how altruism and mentorship is rewarded with power. This will pay her dividends in the future as the other characters are learning all the wrong lessons.

5 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think he is still alive because Westeros will be led by the "weak," disabled characters. The Sams, Tyrions, Sansas, Brans, and Sweetrobins. I also don't think there is a plot to murder SR. I think LF is just being negligent about the sweetsleep, needs the medication to calm him in public events, and expects him to die of his shaking fits anyway. LF has time to spare and needs SR alive right now. Especially when the Harry plot falls through.

Sweetrobin is important to Sansa's development too. She's learning how altruism and mentorship is rewarded with power. This will pay her dividends in the future as the other characters are learning all the wrong lessons.

Sansa is not weak or disabled. 

And Sam will never be in a position of power, never. 

6 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think he is still alive because Westeros will be led by the "weak," disabled characters. The Sams, Tyrions, Sansas, Brans, and Sweetrobins.

So I have noticed that when George makes a character that resembles himself he names them after pigs or dwarfs or cripples.

From And Seven Times Never Kill Man Arik neKrol:  in gaelic arrach means "pig" and nekrol backwards is lorken and loircean, which means "man with deformed legs, dwarfish boy"

From Dying of the Light, Arkan Ruarke: airchin / earchin / oirchin / uirchin all mean "stunted little pig" or "piglet" (ork = pig) and ruarach means "liar, romancer" (has the word arach in it pig)  he was a fat little man who tried to trick Gwen into loving him, and he wore a little beanie like George wears.

saman / samhan means "little pig" and Sam Tarly is

"The Lord of Ham thinks he's too good to eat with the likes of us," suggested Jeren.

"I saw him eat a pork pie," Toad said, smirking. "Do you think it was a brother?" He began to make oinking noises.

turt means "dwarf" and George is obsessed with turtles.

The Meatbringer from In the House of the Worm was a broad, squat man with a flat nose.

tuirghinn (tyrion?) means "broad, squat person" and he gets his nose cut off

The main character from Under Siege is a deformed mutant little guy with no nose, who is a time traveler and body snatches a normie in the past, changing the timeline and erasing himself from existence.

cláirínigh means "a cripple, a dwarf"  in the Glass Flower, Kleronomas was a crippled man who became a cyborg, and just wanted to die, and so played the Game of Minds and body swapped a regular human so he could live a regular life and then die.

braon means "misfortune, wretchedness" and Bran is a cripple, and I think he is going to body snatch Hodor to escape his crippled body. 

One foot is in the grave.  He is dying.  The original poster accurately described the drug as a toxin.  The poison is slowly killing the kid.  It's not murder yet but only 'attempted murder' on the parts of LF and Sansa.  He might still pull through if somebody comes to his rescue.  I have no liking for the Arryns but somebody surely has the kid's best interest.  

I have no proof but I believe he dies and joins Bran in the trees.  His body will have to be taken somewhere near a tree antenna.  Bran's loneliness will eat away at his soul.  He will draw people to the trees to be with him.  Meera will be the first.  

It's Colemon. If we're looking at this literally, Colemon has to be responsible, because he cannot be giving SR the doses he claims.

I think he must be nudging LF and Alayne to think SR can tolerate large doses; though in reality, no-one can. When SR dies, Colemon will claim LF forced him to overdose SR, and of course there will be enough witnesses who have heard LF/Alayne ordering a large dose.

This would be a double win for the vale lords, who get rid of their crazy boy lord and his parasitic regent in one fell swoop.

19 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Sweetrobin is important to Sansa's development too. She's learning how altruism and mentorship is rewarded with power.

How is Sansa altruistic towards Robin?? She only acts reasonably towards him when it's necessary - when she know the outcome will be much worse if she doesn't portray the kindness he expects. She finds him an annoying spoiled child and when she can do it without consequence she is terrible towards him. She orders the servants to keep him locked in his room all night!!! He is seven years old and recently lost his mom, I'd like to point out many healthy kids this age still don't "go to bed" alone by themselves and if they wake up in the middle of the night they require an adult to put them back to sleep.

GRRM has given SR a lot of thought and development so he’s important for whatever reason and that's why I don’t expect him to die soon at all. Agree with those who suggest tolerance, luck, and maybe Maester Colemon all play a factor in why he’s still alive. Or maybe another reason helps which is suggested by the text below.

The only reason I’ve got for why he’s still alive story-wise goes back to the sickliness, link to birds, hills, strong Bran parallels (both given sweetsleep btw), and the weirwood throne. The greenseer stuff is linked to blood lines of the CotF which is a bit unexpected with Jon Arryn and Lysa as parents.

LF’s Braavos connections are underscored in the books, but he’s tiny, has grey-green eyes, and is from next door so-to-speak from the Neck. Sounds like a Crannogman, no? The strongest grey-green reference in the books are the grey-green sentinel trees/soldier pines which seem to be protectors of weirwoods and LF’s grey-green eyes is a weird tie if it means nothing.

ADWD Bran II

That was not Arya's voice, nor any child's. It was a woman's voice, high and sweet, with a strange music in it like none that he had ever heard and a sadness that he thought might break his heart. Bran squinted, to see her better. It was a girl, but smaller than Arya, her skin dappled like a doe's beneath a cloak of leaves. Her eyes were queer—large and liquid, gold and green, slitted like a cat's eyes. No one has eyes like that. Her hair was a tangle of brown and red and gold, autumn colors, with vines and twigs and withered flowers woven through it.

ACOK Tyrion IV

"So," Lord Petyr continued after a pause, utterly unabashed, "what's in your pot for me?"

"Harrenhal."

It was interesting to watch his face. Lord Petyr's father had been the smallest of small lords, his grandfather a landless hedge knight; by birth, he held no more than a few stony acres on the windswept shore of the Fingers. Harrenhal was one of the richest plums in the Seven Kingdoms, its lands broad and rich and fertile, its great castle as formidable as any in the realm . . . and so large as to dwarf Riverrun, where Petyr Baelish had been fostered by House Tully, only to be brusquely expelled when he dared raise his sights to Lord Hoster's daughter.

Littlefinger took a moment to adjust the drape of his cape, but Tyrion had seen the flash of hunger in those sly cat's eyes. I have him, he knew. "Harrenhal is cursed," Lord Petyr said after a moment, trying to sound bored.

"Then raze it to the ground and build anew to suit yourself. You'll have no lack of coin. I mean to make you liege lord of the Trident. These river lords have proven they cannot be trusted. Let them do you fealty for their lands."

"Even the Tullys?"

"If there are any Tullys left when we are done."

Littlefinger looked like a boy who had just taken a furtive bite from a honeycomb. He was trying to watch for bees, but the honey was so sweet. "Harrenhal and all its lands and incomes," he mused. "With a stroke, you'd make me one of the greatest lords in the realm. Not that I'm ungrateful, my lord, but—why?"

Tyrion assumes LF's flash of hunger in his cat's eyes comes from the typical Westerosi lust for power. But if LF has CotF blood as is strongly suggested, getting control of the God's Eye is a much more interesting and likely source of LF's interest. We know LF is playing for more than just mundane power. SR being LF's would explain all of the greenseer stuff tied to SR if LF is also part CotF. So maybe he's still alive because of plot armor. ;)

8 hours ago, Lollygag said:

We know LF is playing for more than just mundane power.

The mind boggles. I always read Petyr Baelish to be very connected to the "game of thrones", so to speak, I feel he's precisely the character that seeks mundane power by means of mundane power plays. But your post has picked up my interest and I'd love to read more about this you think we know if you'd care to explain, or maybe provide some links?

8 hours ago, Lollygag said:

GRRM has given SR a lot of thought and development so he’s important for whatever reason and that's why I don’t expect him to die soon at all. Agree with those who suggest tolerance, luck, and maybe Maester Colemon all play a factor in why he’s still alive. Or maybe another reason helps which is suggested by the text below.

The only reason I’ve got for why he’s still alive story-wise goes back to the sickliness, link to birds, hills, strong Bran parallels (both given sweetsleep btw), and the weirwood throne. The greenseer stuff is linked to blood lines of the CotF which is a bit unexpected with Jon Arryn and Lysa as parents.

LF’s Braavos connections are underscored in the books, but he’s tiny, has grey-green eyes, and is from next door so-to-speak from the Neck. Sounds like a Crannogman, no? The strongest grey-green reference in the books are the grey-green sentinel trees/soldier pines which seem to be protectors of weirwoods and LF’s grey-green eyes is a weird tie if it means nothing.

ADWD Bran II

That was not Arya's voice, nor any child's. It was a woman's voice, high and sweet, with a strange music in it like none that he had ever heard and a sadness that he thought might break his heart. Bran squinted, to see her better. It was a girl, but smaller than Arya, her skin dappled like a doe's beneath a cloak of leaves. Her eyes were queer—large and liquid, gold and green, slitted like a cat's eyes. No one has eyes like that. Her hair was a tangle of brown and red and gold, autumn colors, with vines and twigs and withered flowers woven through it.

ACOK Tyrion IV

"So," Lord Petyr continued after a pause, utterly unabashed, "what's in your pot for me?"

"Harrenhal."

It was interesting to watch his face. Lord Petyr's father had been the smallest of small lords, his grandfather a landless hedge knight; by birth, he held no more than a few stony acres on the windswept shore of the Fingers. Harrenhal was one of the richest plums in the Seven Kingdoms, its lands broad and rich and fertile, its great castle as formidable as any in the realm . . . and so large as to dwarf Riverrun, where Petyr Baelish had been fostered by House Tully, only to be brusquely expelled when he dared raise his sights to Lord Hoster's daughter.

Littlefinger took a moment to adjust the drape of his cape, but Tyrion had seen the flash of hunger in those sly cat's eyes. I have him, he knew. "Harrenhal is cursed," Lord Petyr said after a moment, trying to sound bored.

"Then raze it to the ground and build anew to suit yourself. You'll have no lack of coin. I mean to make you liege lord of the Trident. These river lords have proven they cannot be trusted. Let them do you fealty for their lands."

"Even the Tullys?"

"If there are any Tullys left when we are done."

Littlefinger looked like a boy who had just taken a furtive bite from a honeycomb. He was trying to watch for bees, but the honey was so sweet. "Harrenhal and all its lands and incomes," he mused. "With a stroke, you'd make me one of the greatest lords in the realm. Not that I'm ungrateful, my lord, but—why?"

Tyrion assumes LF's flash of hunger in his cat's eyes comes from the typical Westerosi lust for power. But if LF has CotF blood as is strongly suggested, getting control of the God's Eye is a much more interesting and likely source of LF's interest. We know LF is playing for more than just mundane power. SR being LF's would explain all of the greenseer stuff tied to SR if LF is also part CotF. So maybe he's still alive because of plot armor. ;)

You know? a few days ago I was about to write a post about this but didn't. 

In one instance moss is described as grey-green, and Bloodraven tells us that moss-green eyes mean the children of the forest have 'the gift'. He's also short and has no physical power, 'for every song must have it's balance'.

I also noted his obsession with Harrenhall, specifically how he 'gets' it three times: first he gives it to Janos as a reward for doing his job, then Tyrion offers it to him, then he asks for it after he successfully makes the deal with the Tyrells.

Also, Dontos contacts Sansa after Tyrion offers Harrenhall to LF, but then Tyrion goes back on the offer. Then Dontos does nothing until LF is rewarded with Harrenhall. 

Now for the weird stuff:

Baelish is a way of saying Bael like, is Littlefinger Bael-like?

Well, he's a trickster and he does steal the Lord of Winterfell's daughter. A thing Rhaegar also did, while being a bard, and connected with Harrenhall. So, is there a weird prophecy Rhaegar and Baelish where trying to fulfill?

Let's also keep in mind that Bran and Jojen where visited by the Three-Eyed Crow when they where near death, and LF was near death after his duel with Brandon. Is it possible he was visited?

Lastly, this two quotes:

The king heard him. "You stiff-necked fool," he muttered, "too proud to listen. Can you eat pride, Stark? Will honor shield your children?" Cracks ran down his face, fissures opening in the flesh, and he reached up and ripped the mask away. It was not Robert at all; it was Littlefinger, grinning, mocking him. When he opened his mouth to speak, his lies turned to pale grey moths and took wing.

When he laughed his face sloughed off and the priest saw that it was not Urri but Euron, the smiling eye hidden. He showed the world his blood eye now, dark and terrible. Clad head to heel in scale as dark as onyx, he sat upon a mound of blackened skulls as dwarfs capered round his feet and a forest burned behind him.

In the latter case, it's obvious that Euron is sending dreams to Aeron, is Littlefinger doing the same in the first case?

Archived