Did Cat have problems in the North, being of the Faith?

Alyn Oakenfist

So to my limited knowledge, Cat is the first wife to the lord of Winterfell to worship the Seven ever (the only other Southron wife we know was Black Aly and she was a blackwood as such of the Old Gods). So the question is, were there any problems with that, especially when Cat had a small Sept and brought a Septa to tutor her daughter? I imagine this would cause some friction with the more vocal traditionalists in the North like the Greatjon

15 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

The Starks married Royces and Manderlys too. Anyway, I doubt she suffered any prejudice both because Ned wouldn't stand for it and because Westeros is more tolerant than Medieval Europe (as well as many RL places today).

I don't know. I'm pretty sure a female Stark married Royce heir or something as Cat tells us in ASOS when the will is drafted and I can't remember anything about the Manderlys. Could be wrong though

3 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I don't know. I'm pretty sure a female Stark married Royce heir or something as Cat tells us in ASOS when the will is drafted and I can't remember anything about the Manderlys. Could be wrong though

Lorra Royce married Beron Stark. Also, Rickon Stark married Jeyne Manderly and another Stark married Myriame Manderly. All that within the last 150 years too.

3 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:
3 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Lorra Royce married Beron Stark. Also, Rickon Stark married Jeyne Manderly and another Stark married Myriame Manderly. All that within the last 150 years too.

Huh, I didn't recall that. Thanks!

The mention of House Manderly remind me that they also worship the Seven. They brought their religion with them when they migrated from the Reach to the North. So yes, as Grey Wolf said, it does seem that Westerosi people are pretty tolerant of different religions. There are a few places in the books where some character expresses skepticism about another religion, such as Southrons who question the validity of a marriage ceremony held before a heart tree. But I don't think there's any evidence that Catelyn was subjected to any prejudice.

It occurs to me, the religion of the Old Gods is extremely informal, perhaps unrealistically so. There are no priests, not even village shamans or medicine men/women. There are no formal prayers or rituals; you just kneel down and pray to a tree, and listen to the sounds of nature for your reply.  Are there any real-life examples, now or in the past, of such a minimalist belief system?

Archived