Your favourite e-reader

Luzifer's right hand

I bought a Kindle Oasis during the most recent prime day and I'm happy with it so far. I have used a Kindle Paperwhite since 2013 and it was fine but upgrades and/or age slowed it down quite a bit. I must say that Oasis feels better in my hand and the page turn buttons are perfectly placed for my hand size.

I saved a lot of money with the 20% trade in discount+prime day discount which stacked. I even got some money for my old one. I nearly missed the trade in discount option. I would not buy a full price Oasis myself though but these things dropped the price for the 8GB WiFi version below 100 € cheaper than the price of the Paperwhite back in 2013.

I have a Kobo Clara HD which is decent.  I don't think it will really knock anyone's socks off, but it does what I want it to and it wasn't too expensive.  Also, I love that it is just a USB device, no proprietary software needed to move books on or off.  Then again, this is my first eReader, so maybe there are other, better ones I just don't know about.

I've had a kindle paperwhite that's been very good for me for the past eight years or so. Haven't had any problems with it at all. I'm not a fan of the DRM that comes with ebooks from Amazon, but I get around that with calibre, so my ebook library is fully backed up in a non-DRM format.

I’m on my second Kindle Paperwhite.  I like it a lot but would prefer a button for page turning rather than a touch-sensitive screen.  And I’m frustrated by the inability to zoom into illustrations of maps in fantasy novels.  But overall very good.  I definitely like it more than my wife’s Nook.

It seems tough for the hardware sellers to push customers to upgrade.  If the units aren’t very old, damaged or lost (that was my first Kindle), then there isn’t a big motivation to change device. 

I've still got my old pre paperwhite kindle, whatever generation it was. It still works fine and I prefer the buttons on the side for turning the page rather than the touch screen. I'll probably change it when the battery life becomes to short for it to be usable but it's still ok at the moment.

I've been mainly using a first gen Kindle Fire, for almost 9 years. It was a Christmas present. It has never been really good for internet browsing or video streaming, though I've occasionally used Netflix on it, so I've mainly used it for reading. Maybe that's why it has lasted so long. I don't plan on getting another reader until this one dies.

Never been too fond of any e-reading device, myself, so I downloaded the Kindle app and read anything in digital format on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. I know there's been improvements over the years and e-readers are better and more versatile than they used to be. But I feel that my 10-inch tablet gives me way more bang for my buck.

Having said that, I'm totally old school and prefer to read a paper book. . .

1 minute ago, Lord Patrek said:

But I feel that my 10-inch tablet gives me way more bang for my buck.

I've found the Kindle app to be quite nice due to the page-turning feature it has, which tries to replicate turning a page in a physical book.

I have two Fires and I love them.  I use the one with the bigger screen most often.  I remember being sure I wouldn't like it...the first one I bought...and the had me fully converted in a matter of days. 

10 hours ago, IlyaP said:

@Luzifer's right hand are we talking "app on a reading-possible platform" or hardware? Asking as I've never quite known where the line is for just this sort of query - particularly as somone who uses an iPad and the platform's iBook as his native reading platform when reading eBooks.

Most devices can act as an e-reader I guess. I sometimes use my phone to read if I forget my kindle but tend to find it annoying. 

Personally I prefer reading on e-ink displays as it seems to tire my eyes less  and I like to read outside in direct sunlight. That the battery lasts much longer is also a small plus.

I use an iPad. It's about seven years old now and pretty heavy but it can hold hundreds of books in both my Kindle and iBook apps. It's so old that Apple no longer updates and iTunes won't recognize it (then again, iTunes is a bloated piece of shit). Some day, when I feel extraordinarily flush I'll buy another one. Right now any extra cash goes for guitar gear, books, and hoarding toilet paper. 

I use my laptop as an ereader since I have RSI. There's no way I could hold a mobile device in my hand for long enough to finish a book.

Edit: I do have a Kindle Fire which is nice but I can't really use it unless it's on a stand on a table, in which case a laptop is better.

I nearly bought an Oasis on prime day, but didn't end up doing it.  My paperwhite (2013) is still working relatively well; the battery life is fine, but it's a bit slow on turning the pages.  Maybe I'll change my mind and update it when they go on sale again next month.

On 10/23/2020 at 6:19 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m on my second Kindle Paperwhite.  I like it a lot but would prefer a button for page turning rather than a touch-sensitive screen.  And I’m frustrated by the inability to zoom into illustrations of maps in fantasy novels. 

This! Big time.

I have taken to finding the maps online, putting them on my phone and zooming in that way. That is my one and only complaint about my old paperwhite.

Archived