US politics: 2 weeks notice

IheartIheartTesla

36 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's the next election I'm wondering about.  How they turn their attentions...I don’t think they want a seat at the table, I think they want to mold things into their image instead...

next election doesn't really matter to them, they'll probably go back to supporting the GOP candidates, just without as much backing from Dem donors.  they've been cleaning up taking inmoney from the rich Dem people who live down the road from me.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

They can go smoke meth behind a dumpster for all I care.  After the election

The enemy of my enemy is my friend (for now). I think a lot of people don’t get that. I saw a lot of lefties mad about Amy McGrath being pro Trump. While that makes her a bad Democrat, Mitch McConnell is Senate Majority Leader and a winning challenger would not be- even if they were an actual conservative republican, taking him out as majority leader is vital to democracy at this point. But I know a lot of people don’t see it that way

7 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend (for now). I think a lot of people don’t get that. I saw a lot of lefties mad about Amy McGrath being pro Trump. While that makes her a bad Democrat, Mitch McConnell is Senate Majority Leader and a winning challenger would not be- even if they were an actual conservative republican, taking him out as majority leader is vital to democracy at this point. But I know a lot of people don’t see it that way

So convince them. 

33 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

yeah, it's a straight up money/ego grab.  if they get anything else out of it, it's a bonus to then

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They can go smoke meth behind a dumpster for all I care.  After the election

For now, I'm content to let them do their thing.  It's effective and it doesn't hurt.  Their commercials and marketing strategies are light years beyond pretty much everyone else at the moment.

After? Do not be surprised if they morph into a kingmaking marketing operation.  They certainly known social media and political strategy.  They're not going to go away, though I agree they won't look like what we see know...

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

For now, I'm content to let them do their thing.  It's effective and it doesn't hurt.  Their commercials and marketing strategies are light years beyond pretty much everyone else at the moment.

After? Do not be surprised if they morph into a kingmaking marketing operation.  They certainly known social media and political strategy.  They're not going to go away, though I agree they won't look like what we see know...

I hear you.  At best I think they rally round Romney or someone and try to build the dominant anti-dem coalition.  

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Gee, thanks, Larry, for attempting to mansplain my political views to me. 

I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative; deal with it. Not everything needs a ton of taxpayer money thrown at it.

The trickle down disaster has scarred us.

Who would trust that con?

Put the money where it's needed.

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

After? Do not be surprised if they morph into a kingmaking marketing operation.  They certainly known social media and political strategy.

I think you're vastly overrating the efficacy of well produced political ads.  I'm unclear what "king" they'll be trying to make.

14 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Gee, thanks, Larry, for attempting to mansplain my political views to me. 

I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative; deal with it. Not everything needs a ton of taxpayer money thrown at it.

Hey, I have no idea where you stand on actual economic policies.  But to me, flatter taxes, means testing, and supply side economics are all involved with 'fiscally conservative'.  Fiscal 'conservatives' have had no issues running up the deficit, finding money for imperialism, the war on drugs, or for more prisons with higher walls, but actually anyone asking for actual taxpayer money to go back to taxpayers and workers is 'fiscally liberal'.  

I'm referencing the terms as [I generally understand them] and have no idea where you stand on those [specific] issues.  

It's weird too because the Dems have been arguably more fiscally conservative the last 20 years than Republicans. I stand by my original comment.

10 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Putting money where it’s needed is something I am sure we can all agree on. 

Indeed. Sadly we all have different opinions on where the money is needed.

The problem being we all think we are 100% correct. (I know I'm 100% correct)

Edit: I had an extra "have" in there.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Putting money where it’s needed is something I am sure we can all agree on. 

So, social programs and the like, Chats? Strong safety net? 'Fiscally conservative' in Canada generally means you're only for those things to a small degree, ergo, kinda tough to be that and socially liberal [though I know you're down with the good causes of course, LGBQT+ et al incl] 

I'm center-left, personally, but the only time I take issue with more taxes is when it's due to the ruling party's bone-headed malfeasance.  

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, shit, MSNBC had a poll up that showed Biden +3 in TEXAS. 

If this is the UT Tyler poll, then yes, it did show Biden up by 3 (should note its a B/C rated pollster), and the average of polls still has Trump up here by 1-2 points. With that in mind, some polls that show Biden ahead is not surprising (although +3 Biden is pushing any gaussian-like distribution of polls around the mean)

Should also note that Texas is now at 80% of 2016 levels in terms of early voting.

Sacha Baron Cohen responds to Donald Trump's criticism of Borat 2: 'I don't find you funny either'

https://ew.com/movies/sacha-baron-cohen-responds-to-donald-trump-criticism-of-borat-2/

Sacha Baron Cohen hit back at Donald Trump in response to the president's criticism of Borat 2. The comedian reacted to Trump's comments calling Cohen a 'phony' and a 'creep,' adding "I don't find him funny."

"Donald—I appreciate the free publicity for Borat! I admit, I don’t find you funny either," Cohen tweeted. "But yet the whole world laughs at you. I’m always looking for people to play racist buffoons, and you’ll need a job after Jan. 20. Let’s talk!"

Archived