US politics: 2 weeks notice

IheartIheartTesla

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Because of what you said - it hasn't been a legitimate issue in over 80 years.  Like I said, I agree once the Dems take up expanding the court it will be polarizing and salient, but that's why I said the distribution is very likely to align with partisanship.  Watch as those 2 to 1 numbers all of a sudden shift to the issue becoming at least 80 percent Dem & Dem leaners in favor in a matter of weeks if not days.

I'm not sure that they will. There have been months of the more extreme Democrats pushing for court packing and they barely have half of Democrats on board. I think you are right that this is how it would work for most issue, but this one is special.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Second, strategically it's simply incredibly ass backwards to try and pass any other major legislation expending political capital - and particularly as was mentioned earlier having to potentially pass a federal law for abortion.  That's expending your political capital putting out fires and still leaving everything susceptible to a court 6-3 in opposition - with at least four of those six being trained for/awaiting precisely this opportunity their entire legal careers.  Whereas if you successfully expand the court it will cost quite a bit of political capital too, sure, but then you can turn your attention to the myriad pressing substantive policy agenda items without the judicial handcuffs.  Will the GOP respond in kind if they can?  Of course.  Like Fez said, that's why you make sure you keep the House to block that from happening anytime soon.

Well, they're definitely not packing the court in the first 6 months of the administration -- Biden pretty much said so in the 60 minutes interview:

In a preview of an interview that will air Sunday on 60 Minutes, Biden outlines a plan for what he calls a "bipartisan commission" to examine potential reforms to the federal courts. In the clip, posted to the show's Twitter feed on Thursday morning, Biden says he would fill the commission with constitutional scholars from across the ideological spectrum and that he would give the body 180 days to review not only court-packing but "a number of other things," though he does not elaborate.

If you watch the one minute clip, at the very end Biden explicitly says that the last thing we need to do is to turn the Supreme Court into a political football which is precisely what packing the court would do.

1 minute ago, Altherion said:

There have been months of the more extreme Democrats pushing for court packing and they barely have half of Democrats on board.

There's also been months of Biden demurring and hedging on the issue.  If the party leadership unites behind it - and it seems pretty clear Pelosi and Schumer are already on board - I am very confident it will align Democrats in the electorate.

3 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Well, they're definitely not packing the court in the first 6 months of the administration

Well, yeah, he's gotta get the stimulus bill passed the first six months anyway.  As for Biden saying he doesn't want to turn the court into a political football, that's exactly what he should be saying right now.  He's trying to win an election.  Means jack shit if he wins and takes office.

13 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Holy dammmm. We’re nearly into single digit days until President Trump is a lame duck. I’m starting to get excited.

(If I’ve just jinxed us, then everyone is allowed one free punch onto my left upper arm without accessories . 

I never accessorize. The ring I bear is treacherous. It will hold you to your word.

25 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Holy dammmm. We’re nearly into single digit days until President Trump is a lame duck. I’m starting to get excited.

(If I’ve just jinxed us, then everyone is allowed one free punch onto my left upper arm without accessories . (Not my right arm, I need that in good shape for reasons))

I’d only think it's appropriate to feel that level of satisfaction  if the polls in swing states stay where they are by at least Thursday.

This is right around the time Clinton’s lead took a nose dive--due to Comey but still.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

There's also been months of Biden demurring and hedging on the issue.  If the party leadership unites behind it - and it seems pretty clear Pelosi and Schumer are already on board - I am very confident it will align Democrats in the electorate.

Well, yeah, he's gotta get the stimulus bill passed the first six months anyway.  As for Biden saying he doesn't want to turn the court into a political football, that's exactly what he should be saying right now.  He's trying to win an election.  Means jack shit if he wins and takes office.

We'll just have to wait and see. I very much doubt Biden would do this (if only because he's been around long enough to understand that since the 1990s, it does not take long for either party to win united control of government).

25 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I never accessorize. The ring I bear is treacherous. It will hold you to your word.

Don't make promises you don't intend to keep. One of my greatest joys in life is not lying. 

(Though rings count as accessories. Why do you think I threw that in in the first place? I was already planning ahead. Just in case Frodo). 

8 minutes ago, Altherion said:

if only because he's been around long enough to understand that since the 1990s, it does not take long for either party to win united control of government

Um, it's actually much more difficult for the Dems to achieve unified government than it was during their congressional dominance from FDR to the 94 takeover, which means you need to seize the moment.  Biden's been around long enough to understand that.

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Peloshi flip-flops on having another term if Democrats keep the house.

...that's not a flip-flop, as the article clearly states:

The statement is in line with an agreement Pelosi made when she was elected to the office, which limits her speakership to four years.

11 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So I know this may be weird to bring up as the election approaches, but anyone else find the ”Karen” meme to be sexist? Or at least something to easy to use by sexists?

Only 'Karens'. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

So in the 60 minutes interview, Biden did address the issue more concretely. He said he would form a national commission of legal scholars from both parties to review the issue over 180 days and to make recommendations as to how to reform the court system. He said it’s “getting out of whack—the way in which it’s being handled.”

So he will act on it and hopefully, the bipartisan commission will give any changes he decides to make legitimacy in the eyes of some republicans at least. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Only 'Karens'. 

Eh.

This article makes a case on how this meme devolved into being another tool for sexists.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/apr/13/the-karen-meme-is-everywhere-and-it-has-become-mired-in-sexism

Anecdotally I've seen and talked to people who genuinely thought the gender politics of the 1950s where more preferable to today's.

Which refers to who? Entitled women.

Which plenty sexists couch is a major problem in today’s society

But it can extend Entitled white women. Which racist white men also tend to hate for being well more socially liberal.

9 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Eh.

This article makes a case on how this meme devolved into being another tool for sexists.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/apr/13/the-karen-meme-is-everywhere-and-it-has-become-mired-in-sexism

Anecdotally I've seen and talked to people who genuinely thought the gender politics of the 1950s where more preferable to today's.

Which refers to who? Entitled women.

Which plenty sexists couch is a major problem in today’s society

But it can extend Entitled white women. Which racist white men also tend to hate for being well more socially liberal.

There is a term for male Karens. A Chad.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Um, it's actually much more difficult for the Dems to achieve unified government than it was during their congressional dominance from FDR to the 94 takeover, which means you need to seize the moment.  Biden's been around long enough to understand that.

...that's not a flip-flop, as the article clearly states:

Yeah, the Supreme Court could strike with some horrific ruling right when the Democrats are newly out of power for 6 years or whatever. Which is why they have to act while they can.

4 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

There is a term for male Karens. A Chad.

And Zach could be seen as equivalent.

But not really?

These names hadn't exploded in popularity as an insults towards entitled(usually white), men the way Karen has.

And the origins and evolution of the term just seem to have sexism baked into it.

Only Karens(women), apparently shop selfishly.

Archived