US politics: 2 weeks notice

IheartIheartTesla

29 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

Early voting data suuuuuuuucks and is basically a rorschach test

I don't really disagree with anything he said - and as Maith and IHT mentioned we've discussed the fact early voting is useful for turnout but not for preferences multiple times - but I find it funny you're citing a major league douchebag like Sean Trende.

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So I know this may be weird to bring up as the election approaches, but anyone else find the ”Karen” meme to be sexist? Or at least something to easy to use by sexists?

I find it offensive to use particular given names in this way, as it quickly becomes an easy way for jerks to disrespect and harass the majority of people who have the name who do not fit the stereotype.

It certainly has the potential to be part of sexism. Although I have seen a couple of times recently that "Ken" has begun to be used as a male version of "Karen." That's still offensive, but someone who uses both is certainly being less sexist. 

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Lol, I'm not getting into a debate about who the incels hate the most! haha!

Anyway, its actually a bigger topic, but sure. ok.

It's women. Plenty are racist as hell so none-white men come in second, but number one is women. Please don't try interject a false sense of nuance by pretending incels of all people haven't made perfectly their primary target of hate is the dreaded femoids.

But okay, you’d rather turn inceldom into about primarily hating men who get laid easily.

Ok then. 

Lol.

Two Texas counties, Denton in the Dallas-Fort Worth suburbs and Williamson in the Austin suburbs, have now surpassed their total 2016 turnout with early voting, according to Dave Wasserman of the Cook Political Report.

Sort of an interesting coincidence -- Williamson County, Tennessee, which is the suburban county just south of Nashville which includes the wealthiest and most highly educated suburbs of Nashville, was one of the counties that made that biggest shift toward the Democrats in 2016. 

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I find it offensive to use particular given names in this way, as it quickly becomes an easy way for jerks to disrespect and harass the majority of people who have the name who do not fit the stereotype.

It certainly has the potential to be part of sexism. Although I have seen a couple of times recently that "Ken" has begun to be used as a male version of "Karen." That's still offensive, but someone who uses both is certainly being less sexist. 

Here's the thing Ken isn't really utilized as widely as ”karen” and I don't think there's a good reason why.

Anymore for why ”slut” or ”whore” is used as a primary insult against women.

It's not hard to find a white man being rude to a waiter.

Or calling the cops unnecessarily because of their racist views of the people they’re calling the cops on them.

Like I get how not everyone who uses ”Karen” is a Jordan Peterson level sexist.

But still.

Re: Karen, I'm unconvinced that this is a US politics topic as opposed to a general (if mostly US) cultural topic. Might be better in its own thread. Provided it's a reasonable discussion and not people just flaming each other.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was just talking to a friend who has family members who bought a house in Arizona so they could do the snowbird thing, moving south for the winter months.

Apparently some enterprising campaign worker has figured out which houses in the development they’re in are owned by Canadians and has loaded them up with Trump signs, figuring no one was going to show up to object.

Why does it specifically have to be Canadians?  My folks have a second home outside of Phoenix...they haven't been able to get out there since January due to Covid...I now wonder/worry if their property wouldn't be used in such a manner...

20 minutes ago, mormont said:

Re: Karen, I'm unconvinced that this is a US politics topic as opposed to a general (if mostly US) cultural topic. Might be better in its own thread. Provided it's a reasonable discussion and not people just flaming each other.

Perhaps.

Though a large part of of my grievance with it seeing used against women who’d style any remotely feminist, or progressive rhetoric in a political discourse.

Again I don't think you need a Jordan Peterson level sexist to use the term.

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Incels hate themselves the most.  That’s why they project their self hatred onto others.

Not exactly. 

Despite how physically repulsive many claim to be they’re still very much narcissistic. It's not enough to have sex--they deserve to have government provided sex slaves. And decently pretty ones too, not ”land-whales” 

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Perhaps.

Though a large part of of my grievance with it seeing used against women who’d style any remotely feminist, or progressive rhetoric in a political discourse.

Again I don't think you need a Jordan Peterson level sexist to use the term.

Not exactly. 

Despite how physically repulsive many claim to they’re still very much narcissistic. It's not enough to have sex--they deserve to have sex slaves. And pretty ones too, not ”land-whales” 

Interesting.  It’s rather oxymoronic, isn’t it...

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Despite how physically repulsive many claim to be they’re still very much narcissistic. It's not enough to have sex--they deserve to have government provided sex slaves. And decently pretty ones too, not ”land-whales” 

You can be a sel - loathing narcissist. Analyzing why these people are the way they are is a pretty interesting, if acutely disturbing, undertaking.  They are extremely dangerous, as a group, however, and shouldn't be ignored. 

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why does it specifically have to be Canadians?  My folks have a second home outside of Phoenix...they haven't been able to get out there since January due to Covid...I now wonder/worry if their property wouldn't be used in such a manner...

My friend’s family members bought into a development that actively sold to Canadians, but sure, snowbirds from anywhere. However, I think Americans aren’t as afraid to travel in the US as Canadians are. I suspect more Americans will show up than Canadians. Canadians are allowed to fly to the US.

12 minutes ago, Relic said:

You can be a sel - loathing narcissist. Analyzing why these people are the way they are is a pretty interesting, if acutely disturbing, undertaking.  They are extremely dangerous, as a group, however, and shouldn't be ignored. 

One of the worst mass killings in Canada happened a couple of years ago when an incel decided to drive down sidewalks of a major Toronto street on a beautiful day while people were out walking and deliberately ran down women, killing 10 (8 women) and injuring 16 other people.

That happened in April of 2018, but his trial has been delayed for various reasons and this year repeatedly because of Covid-19. It is supposed to start on Nov. 9, so you should be seeing more stories about incels soon.

Archived