Will Jon and Aegon ever meet?

Alyn Oakenfist

I have to be honest, a meeting between them (supposing that Aegon is legit and Jon will be aware of R+L=J) sounds like a great springboard for some really great dialogue and characterization not to mention great contrast. SO what do you think, will GRRM take the opportunity to have them encounter one another?

I think that it won't happen.

fAegon is a mummer's dragon so he will be met at King's Landing (where else?) by a cheering crowd (what Dany saw in a vision). And then there was Aeron's vision in which Euron was sitting on Iron Throne. So I think that first fAegon will seize KL, but then he and Golden Company will be defeated by Euron's Ironborn. Melisandre saw a dark tide rising from the sea, then turning into skulls, and then turning into mist. Could be that this vision depicted arrival of Golden Company (dark tide because they serve to Blackfyres, skulls because of obvious reason), and then them turning into mist means that they will be defeated.

In my opinion if Jon will go south-east to KL or Dragonstone, then it will happen already after fAegon will be dead, furthermore already after Dany and her dragons will arrive to Westeros and defeat Euron. When Jon and Dany will finally meet, all other players will be already either on their sides (J-camp or D-camp) or eliminated.

21 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

According to me (Ha!) yes, they will. I think Aegon will head north. I think that he'll go there to fulfill what he believes is his destiny. There's no reason to believe, right now at least, that Aegon's entourage no longer believes that he is the PtwP.

I don't think Aegon will have the time to go North before Dany arrives. 

On 10/24/2020 at 10:27 PM, FictionIsntReal said:

"No longer"? I don't recall the evidence of them believing in it in the first place. It doesn't seem like Rhaegar ever told Jon Connington about that.

Well, I did say according to me. I do think Jon Connington knows about the prophecy. If anything, his thoughts seem to indicate that he was on Dragonstone when Aegon was born.

But there is something else. And that is duty. Aegon will go north for the same reason Stannis went north.

"I am no lord, sire. You came because we sent for you, I hope. Though I could not say why you took so long about it."
Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. "You're bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the foe that I was born to fight." (Jon XI, ASoS 76)

Kings must learn to put the realm before their desires (Tyrion VIII, ACoK 36). Kingship is a duty and a king must put his people first and live and rule for them (Epilogue, ADwD). This is what Varys says Aegon was taught. It's the same thing that Davos advocated to Stannis. It should also be noted that after those letters came from the Wall that Varys tried to have Tywin send the men who deserted the gold cloaks during the Battle of the Blackwater to Castle Black to hold the Wall instead of having their kneecaps shattered with a hammer. 

20 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

I don't think Aegon will have the time to go North before Dany arrives. 

And when is our lovely Dany going to arrive in Westeros? Last we saw her, she was somewhere in the Dothraki sea. So she's supposed to unite the khalasar, return to Slaver's Bay, maybe sack Yunkai on her way to Meereen, deal with whatever is going on there, then apparently, she'll go to Volantis to sack it before she turns north to make good on the promise that was made to the Tattered Prince, then sail for Westeros. That's like a year and half worth of campaign and it's not like winter isn't coming in Essos as well. 

I could be completely wrong about this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere a while back that it would be a long while before Dany and Tyrion met. 

2 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Well, I did say according to me. I do think Jon Connington knows about the prophecy. If anything, his thoughts seem to indicate that he was on Dragonstone when Aegon was born.

But there is something else. And that is duty. Aegon will go north for the same reason Stannis went north.

"I am no lord, sire. You came because we sent for you, I hope. Though I could not say why you took so long about it."
Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. "You're bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the foe that I was born to fight." (Jon XI, ASoS 76)

Kings must learn to put the realm before their desires (Tyrion VIII, ACoK 36). Kingship is a duty and a king must put his people first and live and rule for them (Epilogue, ADwD). This is what Varys says Aegon was taught. It's the same thing that Davos advocated to Stannis. It should also be noted that after those letters came from the Wall that Varys tried to have Tywin send the men who deserted the gold cloaks during the Battle of the Blackwater to Castle Black to hold the Wall instead of having their kneecaps shattered with a hammer. 

And when is our lovely Dany going to arrive in Westeros? Last we saw her, she was somewhere in the Dothraki sea. So she's supposed to unite the khalasar, return to Slaver's Bay, maybe sack Yunkai on her way to Meereen, deal with whatever is going on there, then apparently, she'll go to Volantis to sack it before she turns north to make good on the promise that was made to the Tattered Prince, then sail for Westeros. That's like a year and half worth of campaign and it's not like winter isn't coming in Essos as well. 

I could be completely wrong about this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere a while back that it would be a long while before Dany and Tyrion met. 

I think she'll get to Westeros faster then you think, there's only 2 books left. Add in the fact that she'll probably get word of someone taking the IT and they're claiming to be Aegon Targaryen, she'll want to get to Westeros asap. Aegon is not going to go North until he gets the South under control and that should take some time too. The only way I see Jon and Aegon meeting, is if Jon goes South. 

12 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Which thoughts are those? We know he wasn't as close to Rhaegar as Arthur Dayne was.

Stannis was told by Melisandre to go north. Aegon doesn't have someone comparable, nor was he in Westeros when the Watch were sending out all those ravens. I think he's going to be busy consolidating his rule for a while before Varys brings up the Wall.

9 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

I think she'll get to Westeros faster then you think, there's only 2 books left.

He says there's two more books left now, but in his pitch letter GRRM said there would be a total of three books. A Game of Thrones got split into three books, then when he started working on A Dance With Dragons he found that he had to split off A Feast for Crows, and even by the end he still didn't have the Dothraki invasion his pitch letter said was to be the subject of ADWD. It seems like the number of books required keeps going up.

2 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

He says there's two more books left now, but in his pitch letter GRRM said there would be a total of three books. A Game of Thrones got split into three books, then when he started working on A Dance With Dragons he found that he had to split off A Feast for Crows, and even by the end he still didn't have the Dothraki invasion his pitch letter said was to be the subject of ADWD. It seems like the number of books required keeps going up.

Honestly, most people don't see him as being able to finish the books because of the time he takes writing, I doubt he would be able to finish because his 'gardener writing' will make him keep adding endlessly

15 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Honestly, most people don't see him as being able to finish the books because of the time he takes writing, I doubt he would be able to finish because his 'gardener writing' will make him keep adding endlessly

I hope not, I can't have the abomination be the only ending we get!

But, realistically his plots don't simplify as time goes on, so it is an unfortunate and realistic possibility. 

On 10/26/2020 at 7:16 PM, Bronn Urgandy said:

Yes and Aegon will be taking on Danys’s role from the show

I disagree.  Aegon will take over for Jon in the books.  The show left fAegon out because they preferred Jon to him.  Jon boy is dead in the books.  

10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I disagree.  Aegon will take over for Jon in the books.  The show left fAegon out because they preferred Jon to him.  Jon boy is dead in the books.  

Actually we have not seen Jon's corpse in the books so there is a chance that he is still alive.

Secondly there are couple possibilities that he is either revived by Melisandre or he would rise a wight but he would keep his own will bc he has blood of Starks who might have inherited their immunity of becoming puppets from Barrow Kings. Naturally assuming Barrow Kings had those necromantic powers.

It is also possible that his brother/cousin who is becoming new Old God will intervene and will use his godlike powers to make (un)Jon immune to any kind of mental control by Others. There might be even a chance that he will find a way overthrow old management of the Others and he could become new ruler of them.

So I very strongly disagree that Jon's story would be over in the books.

Archived