GRRM's draft of the last two Brienne chapters recovered from Russian translation

zionius

On 10/24/2020 at 9:12 PM, zionius said:

Her whole face, from eyes to jaw, was torn sharply by the claws of some beast. Black oil oozed from the unhealed wounds.

This bit might be the most interesting to me.  The wounds were clearly where she clawed herself after Robb was killed.  (much in the same way that the wildling woman clawed herself when Varamyr tried to enter her).  

The black oil oozing from her wounds definitely puts her in the same category as Beric and perhaps Melisandre.  Beric's black blood lit his sword on fire.  And Melisandre's blood also comes out black when she birthed the shadow assassin.

I've seen some people say that the end of the original chapter indicates interference from the Old Gods (aka Bran/Bloodraven), which really interests me, because I have wondered if Jaime will survive his upcoming encounter with Stoneheart through some interference from Bran. Rather than going down a darker path, I personally think Bran has shown a huge capacity for forgiveness, which is why he reached out to Theon through the weirwood trees. 

Archived