How come Dontos's death didn't affect Sansa more?

Alyn Oakenfist

So Dontos's death is a pretty big oh shit moment, and by all logic it should serve as a catalyst for a complete distrust of Littlefinger and Sansa finally realizing that life isn't a song, after all her emotional investment into Dontos goes by way of crossbow. So the question is, why doesn't any of this happen, and Sansa isn't changed that much by the fool's death? I mean by ADWD she's still a bit naïve and somehow still trusts Littlefinger.

From Sansa's point of view Dontos was a way home and out of the Red Keep. Once Dontos dies she has an alternative to fulfil that role in Littlefinger (I didn't say a good alternative). Besides by this point her entire family is dead and the death of a person she was mildly acquainted with probably wouldn't reasonably affect her that much.

Dontos was a means to an end, when she learned that it was LF who planned everything, she shouldn't miss him so much. She didn't even know him, LF said he was a drunk who would do anything for money and maybe tell Cersei about her escape, she believed. And yes she is still naive, but she needs LF, she must trust with suspicion, Dany was right a bit when she said that someone who doesn't trust anyone is as dumb as someone who believes in everyone. I believe that LF's attraction to Sansa and her being Cat 2.0 for him will be the catalyst that Sansa will use to bring him down.

50 minutes ago, TedBear said:

Dontos was a means to an end, when she learned that it was LF who planned everything, she shouldn't miss him so much. She didn't even know him, LF said he was a drunk who would do anything for money and maybe tell Cersei about her escape, she believed. And yes she is still naive, but she needs LF, she must trust with suspicion, Dany was right a bit when she said that someone who doesn't trust anyone is as dumb as someone who believes in everyone. I believe that LF's attraction to Sansa and her being Cat 2.0 for him will be the catalyst that Sansa will use to bring him down.

Yeah I think that will be the wake up call. My guess is that LF is going to be in some pretty creepy gross sexual shit with Sansa and Harry (I dunno, watching from a peep hole because he's a creepy fuck) and Sansa will figure it out, turn against him and use said creepy shit to finally end him

5 hours ago, Thandros said:

From Sansa's point of view Dontos was a way home and out of the Red Keep. Once Dontos dies she has an alternative to fulfil that role in Littlefinger (I didn't say a good alternative). Besides by this point her entire family is dead and the death of a person she was mildly acquainted with probably wouldn't reasonably affect her that much.

4 hours ago, TedBear said:

This!

I think Sansa was in survival mode. She has a brief moment in AFFC when she fantasizes about throwing herself at the Lords Declarant's feet and begging for their protection so that she can escape Littlefinger, but then reasons that she can't trust them and goes straight back into Alayne mode. It's a survival mentality.

17 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So Dontos's death is a pretty big oh shit moment, and by all logic it should serve as a catalyst for a complete distrust of Littlefinger and Sansa finally realizing that life isn't a song, after all her emotional investment into Dontos goes by way of crossbow. So the question is, why doesn't any of this happen, and Sansa isn't changed that much by the fool's death? I mean by ADWD she's still a bit naïve and somehow still trusts Littlefinger.

What the hell are you talking about?  Sansa has watched her father get executed; been beaten by the Kingsguard on Joffrey's orders; been publicly stripped; nearly gang raped and/or murdered during a riot; and forced to marry one of her enemies. And you think Dontos's murder should cause her to realize life isn't a song?  

I'd say she realized that a long time ago.  And she trusts Littlefinger now as much as she did when she first met him.  Which is to say, not at all.  She remains with him because she feels she has no other choice.  Which, with a price on her head, may well be true.

As for her reaction to Dontos's murder, since then she has been nearly raped by Marillion and nearly murdered by her own aunt, not mention the aforementioned price on her head.  I'd say she has had a lot on her mind.

37 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

If you recall, Sansa also had just accused Dontos of murdering Joffrey.  Even though oddly enough when Sansa fled from the Hall, I think everyone was still under the assumption that Joffrey had just choked to death...

Sansa had more context than almost everyone else, she knew Dontos had a plan for her escape and, I think, he even told him it was going to be during the wedding and said he had a distraction or something like that? do I remember that correctly?

1 hour ago, CamiloRP said:

Sansa had more context than almost everyone else, she knew Dontos had a plan for her escape and, I think, he even told him it was going to be during the wedding and said he had a distraction or something like that? do I remember that correctly?

When the bells were ringing her eyes immediately went to the missing amethyst on her hairnet and she immediately came to the conclusion that it caused Joff’s death.  And she Immediately concluded it was murder.  Which is passing strange unless she already had a good idea what the amethysts actually were before she wore them to the wedding.

24 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

When the bells were ringing her eyes immediately went to the missing amethyst on her hairnet and she immediately came to the conclusion that it caused Joff’s death.  And she Immediately concluded it was murder.  Which is passing strange unless she already had a good idea what the amethysts actually were before she wore them to the wedding.

Maybe I'm talking with the benefit of hindsight here, but she knew Dontos had a plan to escape, he told her that the hairnet was magical, Joff died, and he told her to leave at that point. When she notes the stone missing it's not a far off idea that it was the cause of Joff's death, I think a fair number of people would assume Dontos to be the killer once he tells her to leave during Joff's death (tho it's understandable she didn't due to the confusion).

Tho I am curious to know, what do you think her figuring it out that fast means?

On 10/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Uh, between his creepy touching and kissing and the revelation that he was only doing it for money I can't fault Sansa for not caring.

This. In fact, I would be disappointed if she’d cared more than she did. One creepy perv is too much already. 

14 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Maybe I'm talking with the benefit of hindsight here, but she knew Dontos had a plan to escape, he told her that the hairnet was magical, Joff died, and he told her to leave at that point. When she notes the stone missing it's not a far off idea that it was the cause of Joff's death, I think a fair number of people would assume Dontos to be the killer once he tells her to leave during Joff's death (tho it's understandable she didn't due to the confusion).

Tho I am curious to know, what do you think her figuring it out that fast means?

If she truly thought those were amethysts it's very far off that she would have associated it with Joff's death.  If all she was told was that the hair net was magical and it would help her escape, then it's a pretty big leap for her eye to zero in on one missing amethyst in the hairnet and conclude that it was used to poison Joffrey.  The only conclusion is that Sansa knew exactly why the hairnet was "magical".  She knew it was poison before she went to the wedding.  This is why we aren't given her POV in the chapters both immediately before and during the wedding.  We only get Tyrion's POV.

This is especially true in that when she fled the Hall no one was accusing anyone of poisoning Joff.  In fact the consensus is that he was choking on his pigeon pie.  (And that's the purpose of the Strangler after all, to make the poisoning look like you were simply choking on your food).

Sansa immediately seeks to find someone to blame for Joff's death.  After all, she must have known that she would be a prime suspect.  So she zeroes in on Dontos.  

It's also why Sansa is ok with Dontos being killed.  Dontos knows about the poison plot.  It's best for all involved, (and Sansa is very much involved for at least bringing the poison into the feast) if Dontos is silenced.

Archived