Is Dany going to burn Lys, Myr and Tyrosh?

Alyn Oakenfist

To all the poor souls trying to convince a few (blatant lie, not a few but many) that Dany isn't the main protagonist of the story/series, all I say is that don't waste your time. 

They think that aSoIaF is a fairytale and Dany is Cinderella, Quaithe is the Fairy Godmother while the Starks, North and Jon Snow are the Stepmother and her daughters.

GRRM didn't write the series with one main protagonist in mind. He expresses the ambiguity of morality and ethics and honr and all BS through many POVs. Nothing is right or wrong. It's all in where you stand (Ygritte, oh how I miss her!). Jon is fighting against an approaching apocalypse/ armaggedon...or so he thinks. Not the main protagonist nor evil incarnate. To prejudiced bigots like Bowen Marsh and all haters who support him, Jon is a srew up.

Similarly with those who think the sun shines out of Dany's ass (and by extension, all Targs) versus Dany haters. Irrationality on both sides stems up in heated arguments. I'm going to be Swiss neutral as long as irrational insanity is below Cersei/Aerys levels of madness.

But Alyn, Man! Enough. Cool. Don't blow this forum up. Small Q's v.10x21 or something is there. And no more what-if threads please. If you must, let it atleast be interesting. No Stark/Snow vs. Dany/Targ or Baratheon/rest of Westeros vs Targs forum war-provoking theads too.

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

To all the poor souls trying to convince a few (blatant lie, not a few but many) that Dany isn't the main protagonist of the story/series, all I say is that don't waste your time. 

They think that aSoIaF is a fairytale and Dany is Cinderella, Quaithe is the Fairy Godmother while the Starks, North and Jon Snow are the Stepmother and her daughters.

GRRM didn't write the series with one main protagonist in mind. He expresses the ambiguity of morality and ethics and honr and all BS through many POVs. Nothing is right or wrong. It's all in where you stand (Ygritte, oh how I miss her!). Jon is fighting against an approaching apocalypse/ armaggedon...or so he thinks. Not the main protagonist nor evil incarnate. To prejudiced bigots like Bowen Marsh and all haters who support him, Jon is a srew up.

Similarly with those who think the sun shines out of Dany's ass (and by extension, all Targs) versus Dany haters. Irrationality on both sides stems up in heated arguments. I'm going to be Swiss neutral as long as irrational insanity is below Cersei/Aerys levels of madness.

But Alyn, Man! Enough. Cool. Don't blow this forum up. Small Q's v.10x21 or something is there. And no more what-if threads please. If you must, let it atleast be interesting. No Stark/Snow vs. Dany/Targ or Baratheon/rest of Westeros vs Targs forum war-provoking theads too.

I think there are those who are definitely in the wrong.  The Freys, Boltons, slave drivers, Bloody Mummers etc.

As to rest, we should expect more or less sympathetic characters to be in conflict with each other.  For example, I like both Arianne and Dany, but they’re being set up as enemies to each other.

44 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think there are those who are definitely in the wrong.  The Freys, Boltons, slave drivers, Bloody Mummers etc

You'd think I'd include them in the definite bad guys list. But you'd be surprised to see the defense those scum get when it suits people's personal biases and crackpot tinfoils.

So why another pointless argument with them? So I didn't mention them. Poor Walder Frey. Kind Ramsay and Roose. Good loyal Bowen and Janos etc. 

12 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

So why another pointless argument with them? So I didn't mention them. Poor Walder Frey. Kind Ramsay and Roose. Good loyal Bowen and Janos etc. 

Alright so Bowen maybe makes a lick of sense (he doesn't strike me as a bad person, just a very conflicted one who's biases led him towards a dark road) but the rest? What can you say in defense of Walder, Roose, Ramsay or Janos?

11 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

But does fighting the Others not count as a main protagonist? That was the question asked.

Fighting the Others would be a good thing.  But that is not what Jon did in the end.  He was about to throw the entire north into further chaos and got the Nightswatch involved in a personal war with Ramsay over his sister. 

11 hours ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Jon screwed and he has caused more damage at the wall than the Night's King.  

Yes he did. 

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Alright so Bowen maybe makes a lick of sense (he doesn't strike me as a bad person, just a very conflicted one who's biases led him towards a dark road) 

Precisely! I'm not defending what he did, because even tho Jon's crime was punishable by death he was likely planning the queue before he know he would become a deserter, meaning he wanted to kill him for other stupider reasons, but he's not bad in the same way as Bolton or Fray, he doesn't do it for himself, he likely thinks he doing the best for the people, and you know is a decision that pained him.

Martin has said many times that, originally, the main characters were Bran, Arya, Tyrion, Jon and Dany. He then added Sansa to the group, and started referring to the main characters as “the big 6”. It’s a coming of age story, so it makes sense that out of these 6 characters only one is an adult. All six are protagonists, and all are very important to the story. Anyone who’s not happy with that fact can take it up with the author, or stop reading the story. :cheers:

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It’s a coming of age story, so it makes sense that out of these 6 characters only one is an adult. All six are protagonists, and all are very important to the story. Anyone who’s not happy with that fact can take it up with the author, or stop reading the story. :cheers:

And really Tyrion does have a lot of child like attributes and innocence at the beginning

It’s not necessary to burn those cities down.  The slaves themselves will overthrow their masters and win their own freedom.  The Widow and her allies will lead the revolution in Volantis and that will give confidence to the slaves in the other cities to take up arms against slavery.  Most of this bloodshed is avoidable.  The slave masters can free their slaves.  The choice is theirs.  

The fall of Volantis will have a domino effect throughout Essos.  This Vogaro’s Widow will be responsible for leading the revolution.  She will become one of Daenerys Targaryen’s most valuable allies in the future. I hope this will be the start of a new Targaryen Empire.  

20 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

It’s not necessary to burn those cities down.  The slaves themselves will overthrow their masters and win their own freedom.  The Widow and her allies will lead the revolution in Volantis and that will give confidence to the slaves in the other cities to take up arms against slavery.  Most of this bloodshed is avoidable.  The slave masters can free their slaves.  The choice is theirs.  

The fall of Volantis will have a domino effect throughout Essos.  This Vogaro’s Widow will be responsible for leading the revolution.  She will become one of Daenerys Targaryen’s most valuable allies in the future. I hope this will be the start of a new Targaryen Empire.  

Me too. 

22 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

All hail, Empress Daenerys!  Long may she rein!

:commie:

Why do people persist in the opinion that stories have to follow existing rules like one protagonist, or themes like good vs. evil, or that there isn't enough time to visit x location because there isn't time.  the story is the story.  Whom the author has in mind to do what or who screws something up (and later corrects it maybe?) or which city and culture are necessary to further advance the story towards a conclusion doesn't need to follow what was done in the past or traditional stories.  Accept that maybe Dany has to go through Volantis or other cities to get to where she's going and do what she will do. Accept that Jon, Arya, Tyrion, Dany, etc. are viewpoint characters who contribute to the story as a whole regardless of whether one, more than one, or zero of them fulfill what someone other than the author decides they will fulfill (or not), accept that this story is it's own  complex story (and I think amazing) with faults, inconsistencies (redundant?) and missing pieces throughout that are really insignificant to the overall picture but just fun to talk about for us folks. 

On 10/26/2020 at 7:20 AM, Quoth the raven, said:

Fighting the Others would be a good thing.  But that is not what Jon did in the end.  He was about to throw the entire north into further chaos and got the Nightswatch involved in a personal war with Ramsay over his sister. 

Yes he did. 

I seem to remember the Pink Letter threatening the Nights Watch itself. 

Bastard,

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.

Your false king's friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king's queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard's heart and eat it.

Ramsay Bolton, Trueborn Lord of Winterfell

Yup. That's an explicit threat to the Nights Watch. There is no ambiguity there. 

Since Jon also made clear that only wildlings unnafilliated with the Nights Watch would be accompanying him so his brothers wouldn't break any oaths, I'm unclear on why you believe he got the Nights Watch involved with anything. 

Saying Jon has caused more damage at the Wall than the Nights King is ridiculous.

Archived