MLB 2020: Where Are We Now?

kairparavel

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Very happy the Yanks are finalizing a deal with LeMahieu, and 6/90 sounds like a great deal.  Now, maybe ya know, try to get some pitching.

6/90 sounds like a steal -- perfect player for that team. Pisses me off that they didn't pay through the nose for him.

Wish the Sox hadn't banked on Pedey's return with cadaver's knees and signed someone decent (a la DJL).

21 hours ago, DMC said:

Very happy the Yanks are finalizing a deal with LeMahieu, and 6/90 sounds like a great deal.  Now, maybe ya know, try to get some pitching.

Looks like they’re taking your advice. Kluber 1yr/$11mm

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Looks like they’re taking your advice. Kluber 1yr/$11mm

Well, I guess that's something.  $11m seems pretty steep for a guy that's barely pitched the last two years, but whatever it ain't my money.  I mean seriously, so next year LeMahieu will make $15 million and Kluber will make $11 million?  Baseball is funny.

Twins about to sign Bauer.* They're going to need him if they want to stay competitive in the Central, let alone make any move towards winning a playoff game. To this point, they've been just shedding parts of a club that was good-not-great last year.

*Hahaha... I crack myself up. Like they'd do what they need to acquire a true top-tier pitcher.

Yanks trade for Jameson Taillon, who's been a very good pitcher when he's actually on the mound, but is coming off his second Tommy John and hasn't pitched since Summer 2019.  By all accounts, at least his velocity is still there.  Cashman continues to impress - he was able to provide high-upside options for the rotation while staying under the $210 million tax threshold.  The fact ownership is forcing him to stay under the threshold is absolutely, Scrooge McDuck-level absurdly and comically greedy, but such is life.

Because of such golden handcuffs, Cashman has assembled 7 starters to fill 4 spots after Cole, all with significant to very significant question marks:  Severino, Kluber, Taillon, Montgomery, German, Garcia, Schmidt.  That may well be enough to get through the whole season, and maybe they're lucky enough that two or three of them are in peak shape come playoff time.

The best part of the deal is the Yanks didn't give up much of anything.  I like Roansy Contreras but in terms of stuff/performance/level he's a dime a dozen.  Yajure even more so, albeit he's considerably more likely to provide more actual production at the major league level.  Smith barely has any trade value and Escotto is a pure lotto ticket.

The worst part of the deal is that this seems to seal the deal that they're moving on from Tanaka.  His production wasn't exactly eye-popping, and I certainly will not miss watching his painstakingly slow pitching style, but he was a rock in terms of reliability and more importantly was a super class act that is the epitome of how you want a professional athlete to comport himself.  Thanks and best of luck, Masa!

Yanks salary dumped Adam Ottavino to the Red Sox.  So now he'll get to eat up the Yanks' almost all righty lineup for twenty games this season all so the Steinbrenner family can stay under the $210 tax threshold.  Fucking outrageous.

Is there anyone that was clinging to this year as their last chance to get in?

I guess Bonds, Clemens, and Schilling get one more shot? I think Schilling is a douchenozzle but people aren't voting for Most Congenial. All things being equal in 'the era' shouldn't all three get in?

9 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I guess Bonds, Clemens, and Schilling get one more shot? I think Schilling is a douchenozzle but people aren't voting for Most Congenial. All things being equal in 'the era' shouldn't all three get in?

Bonds and Clemens deserve it more than Schilling.

So many small moves happening the past week or so (wonder if the gate $$ really affected teams and the way they’re spending dough this offseason)

Which of these moves will pay dividends first?

Springer to Toronto::Hand to Washington::Ramos to Detroit::Galvis to Baltimore::Simmons to Minnesota::Semien to Toronto::Loup to NY Mets::Matz to Toronto

Bonds should be in, even if you exclude his "alleged roid years", he had already had a HOF career on his HR, SB and Gold Glove totals before the steroid era even existed.

But then again I'd put Rose and Shoeless Joe in as well so, 'it is what it is."

Eta: Fuck Schilling though.

So apparently the Cubs have decided to replace Kyle Schwarber with Joc Pederson...who is essentially the west coast version of Kyle Schwarber...no details on the actual contract yet, but if it's more that the 10 million that the Nats have Schwarbs, there might be some sort of revolting in Chicago...

I'm absolutely baffled at what you guys are doing upstate. 

Cards signed Waino back, our first move we've made in months, seems like. I laughed out loud at the Athletic posting a rumor that the Cards are interested in Arenado. Again. For the fifth straight year. Shocking development.

Archived