MLB 2020: Where Are We Now?

kairparavel

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Talk about a left side of the infield.  Could almost make ARod and Jeter blush.

The age gap is hard to account for, but this tandem has the possibility of outshining them. 

Also, since I've stopped paying close attention, is this the youngest player to get this kind of deal? 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, since I've stopped paying close attention, is this the youngest player to get this kind of deal? 

Yup. Dude will still only be 36 when this 14yr contract ends. The Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla. Also, it’s the largest pre-arb contract by nearly $200mm.

43 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Yup. Dude will still only be 36 when this 14yr contract ends. The Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla. Also, it’s the largest pre-arb contract by nearly $200mm.

Okay, that's what I thought. At first I thought he maybe in his mid 20's, but 22 for that kind of deal....hope it works out.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The age gap is hard to account for, but this tandem has the possibility of outshining them. 

I was referring to the money/contracts.  Difficult to compare the two on a performance basis because, yeah, Tatis is so much younger.

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was referring to the money/contracts.  Difficult to compare the two on a performance basis because, yeah, Tatis is so much younger.

I still can't believe they gave a guy that young that kind of deal. Five years from now we could be talking about the great value there, but they bypassed a lot of cheap years.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still can't believe they gave a guy that young that kind of deal. Five years from now we could be talking about the great value there, but they bypassed a lot of cheap years.

It's probably an underpay by about $100M - assuming he stays healthy. Regardless, congrats to the young man and glad to see an organization pay it's own talent.*

*That they acquired for the price of "Big Game" James Shields. Imagine him with Luis Robert, Eloy Jimenez, Yoan Moncada, Lucas Giolito et al. That would make an already great core positively stratospheric.

Really highlights just how bad Acuna's deal was a couple of years ago.

Signed for 8 years and $100 million.  Or 9 years/$107 million if one option is picked up; 10 years/$124 million if both options are picked up. 

One of the worst contracts for a player in a long time.

1 hour ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Really highlights just how bad Acuna's deal was a couple of years ago.

Signed for 8 years and $100 million.  Or 9 years/$107 million if one option is picked up; 10 years/$114 million if both options are picked up. 

One of the worst contracts for a player in a long time.

The worst since Albies :(

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot wait to watch live baseball.  I have decided to celebrate the end of Covid...whenever or if ever that happens...with a game at Safeco without a mask.  T-Mobile...wherever they're playing when we get past this.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It wouldn't be Yankee Spring Training. Robinson Chirinos has a fractured wrist apparently. 

Speaking as Not A Yankee Fan, I wish the best recovery possible to all injured parties...but hope they also somehow never play again?

15 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Joc Pederson just might be better as a Cub than he ever was as a Dodger...that's a nice thing...

I really hope he gets a chance to make it as an everyday player over there. Always felt the Dodgers gave up too early on him.

6 hours ago, Trishkin said:

I really hope he gets a chance to make it as an everyday player over there. Always felt the Dodgers gave up too early on him.

Apparently the every day LF job is his at the moment, according to David Ross...could be a very good thing...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived