MLB 2020: Where Are We Now?

kairparavel

Even on a field with the fences back it seems like you would've seen the occasional inside the parker.

Nevertheless most Little Leaguers  would've learned the baserunning rule (that your out if you overtake the runner ahead of you) by Tee Ball .

1 hour ago, Trishkin said:

One year I hit 4 home runs in little league. Those are still the 4 best days of my life.

You go, Al Bundy.

And the running rule is pretty typical. In little league, it's generally gonna be applied to lesser baserunning infractions not involving home runs, especially the younger kids...it's more likely to rear it's head with Pony and Colt leagues, and HS ball...

23 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Even on a field with the fences back it seems like you would've seen the occasional inside the parker.

Nevertheless most Little Leaguers  would've learned the baserunning rule (that your out if you overtake the runner ahead of you) by Tee Ball .

I once stole home to win a game 1-0 in the 9th. That was pretty fucking sweet.

I think the players knew the rule, but they were just seeing different things and shit happens. It should absolutely apply when the ball is in the field of play, but I'm of the opinion that a HR should automatically count all the runs even if there is a weird base running error like what we just saw.

Super weird events in a 2-0 Twins game with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. A pitch bounced off the catcher's leg and went right into the home plate ump's throat. He was down for a bit, then one of the trainers who came out to see him collapsed unexplainably. 

ETA: And that's the game. Buxton off to a nice start going yard in both games.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm pretty sure you stole this from the end of The Sandlot.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nope. The catcher on the play is getting married in a month or so. We ended up playing HS football together.

Whatever. Me and the 4 guys I hit my 4(!) home runs off of are all getting married to each other tomorrow. That’s how meaningful those 4 home runs are to all of us.

20 minutes ago, Trishkin said:

Whatever. Me and the 4 guys I hit my 4(!) home runs off of are all getting married to each other tomorrow. That’s how meaningful those 4 home runs are to all of us.

L.A. is so ahead of the Midwest.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Other than Gary Sanchez and Clint Frazier, the Yankees offense sucks ass through three games.

Somehow I think Stanton, Judge, Torres, DJLM, et al will be just fine.

On 4/3/2021 at 9:20 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I think the players knew the rule, but they were just seeing different things and shit happens. It should absolutely apply when the ball is in the field of play, but I'm of the opinion that a HR should automatically count all the runs even if there is a weird base running error like what we just saw.

Weird shit like this is the lifeblood of baseball. 

Another oddity: last night Jacob deGrom made history as the first pitcher in Mets history to record the Mets' first hit of the season. Likely to be the last with the MLB-wide DH seemingly, and sadly, inevitable after this year.

55 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regarding a fulltime DH rule in the near future.

Just wondering in cases like when Ohtani pitches, could he still hit for himself? Effectively being a DH and Pitcher in the same lineup?

Isn't that what they did the other night when he hit a monster homerun in the two hole and also was throwing heat at 100mph...?

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Isn't that what they did the other night when he hit a monster homerun in the two hole and also was throwing heat at 100mph...?

Yeah he's hitting for himself now. I was speculating on whether a pitcher could still hit for themselves in  future seasons if they go to mandatory DH mlb wide, like Onianhaireborn(sp) was mentioning.

My guess in those rare cases the pitcher could still hit for themselves and the manager retains the option to use the DH on another weak hitting position player like a all defensive glove, no hit type.

I actually seen that years back where the manager had his pitcher hit and DH'd one of the infield positions but I can't remember the exact game or players.  It seems like Jack Morris may have been the pitcher but it was yrs ago?

Eta: If Ohtani has to be the DH when he pitches and hits, you lose a big advantage. It would be even better to have him pitching, hitting as your pitcher and then DH for your worse hitting position player. That gives you the full advantage to Ohtanis unique skill set.

Archived