MLB 2020: Where Are We Now?

kairparavel

29 minutes ago, Week said:

It's unbelievable that he hasn't been arrested. He absolutely would be if he wasn't a professional athlete. Just absolutely awful. Plenty of warning signs in his past of misogyny and bullying too.

In the same week that a rapist was set free and a 39 year old woman wasn't granted agency, nothing about the legal system in this country surprises me.

Hm.

When Bauer meets a potential romantic partner, he outlines for her the parameters of any possible relationship on their very first date. “I have three rules,” he says. “One: no feelings. As soon as I sense you’re developing feelings, I’m going to cut it off, because I’m not interested in a relationship and I’m emotionally unavailable. Two: no social media posts about me while we’re together, because private life stays private. Three: I sleep with other people. I’m going to continue to sleep with other people. If you’re not O.K. with that, we won’t sleep together, and that’s perfectly fine. We can just be perfectly polite platonic friends.”

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/trevor-bauer-cleveland-indians-training-tools-twitter-controversy-cy-young

I dont have an ethical problem with someone being clear from the get-go that it's only about the sex. I've said similar things about no-strings, over when there's feelings repeat hookups, albeit in a much less shitty  way and it's usually my partners that walk when I want something more than physicality. I am also not going to close-fist punch a woman, nor anally rape them while they are unconscious. Somehow I doubt his up front conversations about rough sex including those actions. Some fleeting days I yearn for medieval punishment, and abusers like this got their junk chopped. What an abominable creature. 

Guys like this keep kink as something to be ashamed of. Dude isn't kinky or into rough sex, he's just a violent scumbag who needs to have his career ended, and wear a T Shirt explaining his proclivities on any date he ever goes on again.

51 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I dont have an ethical problem with someone being clear from the get-go that it's only about the sex. I've said similar things about no-strings, over when there's feelings repeat hookups, albeit in a much less shitty  way and it's usually my partners that walk when I want something more than physicality. I am also not going to close-fist punch a woman, nor anally rape them while they are unconscious. Somehow I doubt his up front conversations about rough sex including those actions. Some fleeting days I yearn for medieval punishment, and abusers like this got their junk chopped. What an abominable creature. 

Guys like this keep kink as something to be ashamed of. Dude isn't kinky or into rough sex, he's just a violent scumbag who needs to have his career ended, and wear a T Shirt explaining his proclivities on any date he ever goes on again.

You can take a t-shirt off. Aldo Raine couldn't abide that. Nor could Lisbeth Salander. I'd follow the latter's course of action.

4 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I hope this piece of shit never wears civilian clothing (let alone a baseball jersey) ever again. I don’t know what the CBA allows in this situation, but I hope the Dodgers cut him as soon as possible.

13 minutes ago, Trishkin said:

I hope this piece of shit never wears civilian clothing (let alone a baseball jersey) ever again. I don’t know what the CBA allows in this situation, but I hope the Dodgers cut him as soon as possible.

It depends on the language in his contract.  Every multi-year deal has language that allows the team to terminate the agreement without pay under certain circumstances.  But the specifics of each deal will be different depending on what the club and agent negotiate.

Another brilliant effort by the Yankees today. I’m seriously hoping for a Mets sweep to force some sort of changes to happen. This team is shockingly boring and pretty much unwatchable at this point.

I’d rather watch dumb soccer than them. 

39 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Another brilliant effort by the Yankees today.

Honestly not even bothering to follow at this point, but yeesh, look like Justin Wilson really ate it.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:43 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ohtani is full on beast mode, going yard at a rate of once every 9 AtBats.

Not too shabby for a pitcher with Nolan Ryan velocity.

And now he’s been selected to the All-Star game as both a pitcher and a position player. This guy can’t reasonably keep this up season after season (can he?), but man is it sure fun to watch right now.

Yeah I just worry about his being able to keep pitching long term. Although he did do the whole Tommy John rehab thing already, so maybe he can, we'll just have to enjoy watching while we can.

It's not out of the question he hits 50 homers, 20 SB's and maybe strikes out 200 for a season like none ever witnessed previously. Pretty neat stuff.

Another thing, shouldn't his WAR be the combined one for pitching and hitting, I notice he's always listed with separate WAR numbers?

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Another thing, shouldn't his WAR be the combined one for pitching and hitting, I notice he's always listed with separate WAR numbers?

It's combined on the topline summary stats for his baseball reference page.  5.2 total.

8 hours ago, Trishkin said:

And now he’s been selected to the All-Star game as both a pitcher and a position player. This guy can’t reasonably keep this up season after season (can he?), but man is it sure fun to watch right now.

Don't know about that. The one time I got to tune in to watch him bay recently, he was striking out...he's a bum! :P

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Don't know about that. The one time I got to tune in to watch him bay recently, he was striking out...he's a bum! :P

You heard it here first folks, Ohtani is a bust!

15 minutes ago, Trishkin said:

You heard it here first folks, Ohtani is a bust!

Bum. Not bust. He's just not that exciting, flashy player people keep talking about.  I mean, I tune in one time time and the guy strikes out! Bum. He had one, absolutely random, chance to impress me and he blew it. :bs:

47 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Shhh nobody tell Trishkin but I think Kershaw might be broken

Just you shut your mouth.

(Totally forgot I was still going by Trishkin)

The Phillies are taking a “herd immunity” approach to Covid, because apparently several “clubhouse leaders” are vociferously anti-vax. This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard; everyone knows that the way you beat Covid is to have your fans throw batteries at it. 

Archived