The Karens

Martell Spy

On 11/4/2020 at 12:24 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

BUT I have to be fully honest, I’ll still watch those videos & not be hugely bothered because some of those women are truly vile and if we are going to constantly talk about how some men can be truly disgusting, and we should, we can’t ignore or deny that women can as well. 

HOWEVER I hate the videos of young men who are basically antagonising a woman to get video views and then she turns into some kind of stressed approximation of “a Karen” but you can tell there’s been a lot of antagonism before the video starts just to get a video with a million views. 

I would not say no woman deserves any harsh criticism.
Like there are plenty of bad women in the world. 

And I think a lot of people do not not use it in a sexist way, or see the use of it as sexist.

I would however like to see men who undoubtably are similarly—if not to a greater degree—be given as big as social flack for the type behavior we are consigning “Karens” working men nonetheless.

I mean there’s plenty of videos of guys doing a lot worse to women in the service industry, usually  sexual harassment, or white guys unjustifiably calling the cops on non-white men. 

And I do think the framing of the victims of “Karens” being men is kinda why it’s taken off.

A friend of mine has argued people should try to keep out of the hands of sexists but Idk.

I can’t really feel comfortable seeing it used even against bad women.

Like I hate Ann Coulter, she’s hurt a lot people with her rhetoric, but if someone use the word “whore” to insult her, I find myself a little uncomfortable given the sexist connotation attached to the word using the insult.

On 11/4/2020 at 12:24 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

I never used to be bothered by it and watched Karen freak out videos sometimes. Until I’ve been called a Karen...for just...existing? And daring to have opinions? And I genuinely mean that. No shouting, racism, nastiness. Just me on tiktok making one of my history or folklore videos or on livestream. “ITS A KAREN!!! HIIIIII KAREN” 

im 26 years old I just wanna talk about regional history :lol: 

Now I think there after being firmly rooted in mainstream there can be an element of sexism to the usage. 

Well did you sound confident when you said it lol?

In some local FB groups* I've seen people (men and women, actually more so women) use 'Karen' as a kind of generic insult for any woman who complains about ANYTHING. No matter how reasonable the complaint, e.g. a complaint about people letting off fireworks at their home late at night, a week after bonfire night. 

I suspect that the women who are ragging on other women are the ones who 'don't see sexism' and would happily throw women under the bus if the mens pat them on the head. 

*I joined a few groups because we are moving house and I was after the intel on which sub-areas to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, Isis said:

I suspect that the women who are ragging on other women are the ones who 'don't see sexism' and would happily throw women under the bus if the mens pat them on the head. 

This is always worth  noting; women can be just as misogynistic as men.

And I have to note that white women do tend to be the stereotypical model of the ”karen”

Both significant portions of the left and right seem to hate white women.

One for not being socially progressive enough.

The other for being too socially progressive.

Archived