Watch, Watched, Watching: The cancellations continue

Red Tiger

I watched Weathering With You. I thought Makoto Shinkai's previous film Your Name was excellent, I think this film had many of the same strengths although perhaps the plot wasn't quite as compelling. I felt the ending wasn't as strong as the rest of the film. Visually it looks stunning, and I thought it had a good soundtrack as well.

"Guilty pleasure" isn't a distinguishing entertainment concept for me. But if it was, surely The Crown would be it, for me.  Watching these utterly useless people be useless, does entertain me, and I wish it didn't! because, you know, useless, not particularly bright people who are so generationally wealthy while remaining useless and not particularly bright shouldn't be entertaining, because in reality they are very boring, when not dangerous to the rest of us! :cheers: 

But hey, tv -- makes bloody serial killers into sympathetic heroes so of course it's a slam dunk for tv to dothat with obscenely wealthy, non-ruling monarchs.

Haven’t watched the new Crown:) I’m a bit apprehensive about Diana. Zorral, the monarchy needn’t be remarkable people. They need to do the ceremonial role adequately. It sounds tedious and invasive. Trump would have been fine as a constitutional monarch as long as his powers were duly curtailed. He also needed to be willing to stand in the rain and actually have or fake respect for others.( like war dead and families or sick people or handicapped people...the list goes on.) Trump could have been dumped by his own party or by non confidence vote in a different system. Kings can be forced to abdicate if they are really bad.

18 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Haven’t watched the new Crown:)

Just about to start it!  I almost started it at 3am last night but actually decided to sleep.  Anyway, The Crown has its own thread, albeit it was started by a pretty huge douchebag:

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Everyone raves about into the spiderverse so I'm going to stick with it, but the first 10 mins are as bad as the first 10 mins of episode 9. 

Aw, I enjoyed Into the Spiderverse. Didn't think it was the best thing ever, but it was fun, stylish and very watchable. 

The next series of Un Bore Mercher (Keeping Faith) has just started. I've watched the first two episodes, and the next is out tonight. I'll be catching up on Monday, since tonight is definitely His Dark Materials night. I do keep asking myself why I still kind of like UBM, since it's often overwrought, and has at least one dreary pop song with pictures of people looking sad per episode. On the bright side, the cast is great, Eve Myles is magnetic, there are occasionally jokes and humour, and Mark Lewis Jones is oddly convincing as the back-up love interest. I'm not sure he could be said to smoulder consistently, but he does at least send up the odd smoke signal. 

31 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

I liked Olivia Coleman in other things a lot more. BFC and others might comment on how good she is in Christ Church:) Shy Di was more personally accessible, so maybe harder to portray? It’ll bother me if it’s wrong.

She's a fantastic actress, but having her play a reserved, always-dignified queen limits her. Even so, she has her moments when she makes even that role look brilliant.

Archived