Watch, Watched, Watching: The cancellations continue

Red Tiger

7 hours ago, DMC said:

I absolutely adore Dog Day Afternoon, but I can't really disagree with most of this.  The "themes" aren't exactly ambitious, and yeah, they've been done better elsewhere.  And the largest appeal is simply watching Pacino and Cazale.  But Lumet does a great job drawing you in with the intensity of the situation and it's one of those movies that when the credits role you can't believe it's already been two hours.  The only recent film I'd say that could compare in that regard is Dunkirk.  Also, it has one my favorite movie quotes of all time:

That quote is brilliant and apparently was improvised by Casale. Great actor really, gone way too soon.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Pacino is incredible in Dog Day Afternoon imo. 

It didn't connect with me much :wacko:

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Agreed.  In fact I'd say it's his best performance outside of Godfather.

Are we forgetting Scarface?

Not to mention this GOAT performance:

17 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

That quote is brilliant and apparently was improvised by Casale. Great actor really, gone way too soon.

Godfather, Conversation, Godfather II, Dog Day Afternoon, Deer Hunter in six years.  No one will ever match that, and he did the last one with terminal cancer. 

24 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Are we forgetting Scarface?

No.  It's obviously the most iconic performance outside Godfather, but I'd easily put DDA and Serpico above it if we're talking "best."  And @Deadlines? What Deadlines? might be right about Angels in America too, I don't really remember it well.

I'd never seen that Dunkaccino thing before.  Wow.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:14 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I would say it's odder to see people buy movies these day, at least physical copies. 

I still buy quite a few 4K discs. Sound and picture quality is far better than any streaming service.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I still buy quite a few 4K discs. Sound and picture quality is far better than any streaming service.

I think it's all at the margins at this point. I only notice the difference when it's something that was shot incredibly poorly. 

The cost of Blue-rays has also dropped a lot. It cost me less than $20 to get both Pulp Fiction and Enter the Dragon, which is odd to be because PF is a top 50 to 100 film and Enter the Dragon is an incredibly important movie for a few reasons.

My wife and I watched The Happiest Season, a lesbian holiday rom com on hulu.  It has a good cast - Kristin Stewart, Daniel Levy, Aubrey Plaza.  

I wanted to like this movie, but I couldn't.  Kristin Stewart's girlfriend treats her so terribly for the first 90 minutes that I was just really hoping that they would break up.  When they reconcile it feels totally unearned.  It would have been better if she ended up with Aubrey Plaza, who they were ( very tentatively) setting up as a false romantic lead.

In addition, the movie wasn't as funny as it could have been, as they gave very little screen time to the characters who were actually funny.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer – a single episode, from season 4, "Pangs", the Thanksgiving episode, of course.  Watched it last night after a couple Nirvana in Fire episodes, and finishing up Hillbilly Elegy.

“Pangs”  has been one of my favorite Buffy episodes all along.  It still remains very good – and it includes ‘plague.’ Or syphilis.  Something microbial that kills released by the Native sorcerer who was executed by Spaniards of California's Mission era.

The episode got in everything that people do and think about Thanksgiving, from arguments about the real history, to politics, to the mom determined this is going to be the fantasy perfect Thanksgiving with all the people behaving just as she wants them too.

It was also notable that this was the Buffy family, and who wasn’t at this meal?  Riley, who’d gone home to Iowa for his Saturday Evening Post country Thanksgiving with great big family.

Who was there, though?  Spike – who had nothing to eat on this day of gorging.  But he was there, as he was even through the very end, and on into the Angel universe. Gads Marsters plays his character so very well throughout all his permutations.

I have the complete boxed set, which I watched often.  But I haven't watched any Buffy in years, but I easily  could get sucked back into the Buffy verse.  

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer – a single episode, from season 4, "Pangs", the Thanksgiving episode, of course.  Watched it last night after a couple Nirvana in Fire episodes, and finishing up Hillbilly Elegy.

“Pangs”  has been one of my favorite Buffy episodes all along.  It still remains very good – and it includes ‘plague.’ Or syphilis.  Something microbial that kills released by the Native sorcerer who was executed by Spaniards of California's Mission era.

The episode got in everything that people do and think about Thanksgiving, from arguments about the real history, to politics, to the mom determined this is going to be the fantasy perfect Thanksgiving with all the people behaving just as she wants them too.

It was also notable that this was the Buffy family, and who wasn’t at this meal?  Riley, who’d gone home to Iowa for his Saturday Evening Post country Thanksgiving with great big family.

Who was there, though?  Spike – who had nothing to eat on this day of gorging.  But he was there, as he was even through the very end, and on into the Angel universe. Gads Marsters plays his character so very well throughout all his permutations.

I have the complete boxed set, which I watched often.  But I haven't watched any Buffy in years, but I easily  could get sucked back into the Buffy verse.  

A bear! You made a bear!

Just finished a complete Buffy rewatch two months ago.  Anya........:crying:. It should have been Xander or Willow. 

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

A bear! You made a bear!

There were so many successful comic bits in that episode weren't there?  Marsters provided many of them!  It was a kick too, with Buffy being Mom and Giles being Dad.  That worked as well as one would think it might. :D

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think it's all at the margins at this point. I only notice the difference when it's something that was shot incredibly poorly. 

The cost of Blue-rays has also dropped a lot. It cost me less than $20 to get both Pulp Fiction and Enter the Dragon, which is odd to be because PF is a top 50 to 100 film and Enter the Dragon is an incredibly important movie for a few reasons.

I generally go for discs featuring above average cinematography and/or sfx. Some of my favourite 4K HDR experiences have been Alita: Battle Angel, Fury Road, and Logan. 

We've also just got a new blu-ray player that upscales to 4k. My movie collection has never looked so good.

I'm hoping the new 4K LotR box set will make my christmas stocking. They've re-processed the sfx for 4K. Bet it looks amazing.

Archived