Watch, Watched, Watching: The cancellations continue

Red Tiger

13 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The Hateful Eight. Tarantino has sited The Thing as inspiration, and Russell talks about the similarities here

Heh.  I actually just watched the extended version or "miniseries" last night.  I really like Hateful Eight - and think a lot of the criticisms are overborne - but it doesn't induce that creepy feeling on the viewer.  It's still a fun-loving Tarantino flick.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I just mean that using it for a horror movie as a way of making the audience feel more vulnerable is fairly unique.

I'm not a huge fan of Hitchcock but I'd say a lot of films rely on paranoia, mistrust, and confusion to evoke the "horror" of the viewer.

@Maithanetthere are a few things you’ve brought up I’d like to address, but I’ll have to later because I’m slammed at work. To your last point, I think there are a number of horror films that sort of work like The Thing. You just need a small cast stuck in an isolated setting. I’d nominate Alien and Event Horizon. They’re not exactly the same, but they’re in the ballpark.  

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh.  I actually just watched the extended version or "miniseries" last night.  I really like Hateful Eight - and think a lot of the criticisms are overborne - but it doesn't induce that creepy feeling on the viewer.  It's still a fun-loving Tarantino flick.

Pretty interesting to see them side by side...

https://filmschoolrejects.com/the-thing-about-the-hateful-eight-john-carpenters-influence-on-tarantino-s-latest-b7e3cef910c9/

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Well I guess since you didn’t like it they couldn’t be at all similar. :rolleyes:

Hateful Eight isn't a horror movie nor particularly suspenseful.  The movies strike me as very dissimilar.  There is a feeling of mistrust in H8, but it comes from everyone being so untrustworthy, not from a crew of allies being corrupted by an outside force.  That's a pretty crucial difference, because it is what makes the paranoia and isolation of Thing so interesting. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’d nominate Alien and Event Horizon.

Alien definitely has the setting and confusion similarities, but I wouldn't really say it has the paranoia factor outside of robot Bilbo.  Never was a fan of Event Horizon, don't really remember it.

34 minutes ago, Ran said:

I know he just thought it was awfully cool and something he wanted to work with, but why not save it for a script where you could really use those qualities? Weird.

I've always found this curious too.  Rewatching it last night, I did notice a good handful of shots in the haberdashery during key moments that he obviously lingered on because they were pretty cool and he wanted to show off.  I don't remember if they were the same in the original as opposed to the extended version, but I suspect the latter considering the lack of time constraints.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

Alien definitely has the setting and confusion similarities, but I wouldn't really say it has the paranoia factor outside of robot Bilbo.  Never was a fan of Event Horizon, don't really remember it.

It’s not a perfect comparison, but the paranoia does set in once most of the crew is dead. Event Horizon is a better example even if you don’t like it. It’s one of the few movies that scared the piss out of me when I was a kid.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

the paranoia does set in once most of the crew is dead.

Well, sure I guess, but that's more entirely justified paranoia, which is a feature of most horror movies.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The Conversation?

I need to see that.

David Fincher is probably the best modern example of using paranoia as a theme: The Game, Zodiac, Gone Girl, Fight Club.

I really didn't get that from the Hateful Eight. Just a little too cool, a little too schlock.

46 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'll never understand why Tarantino revived Ultra Panavision, a format not used in some 50 years that famous for its extraordinary panoramic vistas .... and then set the vast majority of the film inside a cramped cabin. I know he just thought it was awfully cool and something he wanted to work with, but why not save it for a script where you could really use those qualities? Weird.

Word.

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Memento, The Prestige...

Yeah Nolan was all about paranoia, mistrust, and confusion in his early work - Following.  Even Insomnia, which I've never been able to get all the way through.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

No I think the mistrust among the crew is entirely different.

Sorry, I meant the justified paranoia. But you’re right, in Alien the tension is mainly just between Ripley and Ash and it takes a while to develop.

5 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The Faculty was basically The Thing in highschool.

I thought about mentioning The Faculty, as they definitely had some similarities.  But (it's been 20 years since I saw this) as I remember, they only really had one or two scenes where it was genuinely unclear if someone had been turned or not.  Most of the time, it's the teachers, who are turned, chasing after the kids, who are normal. 

Archived