Watch, Watched, Watching: The cancellations continue

Red Tiger

Hateful Eight is awesome and is a Christmas movie. These are the facts. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I need to see that.

The Conversation is a pretty much perfect movie. The ending has stuck with me ever since I saw it a few years ago. Coppola’s run in the 70s is insane.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Hateful Eight is awesome and is a Christmas movie. These are the facts. 

You sir have gone too far!

Also, imo Hateful Eight is a lot better the second time you see it. I had really mixed feelings after my first viewing.

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I'm aware of that theory.  On the whole

Reveal hidden contents

I definitely think that Childs is assimilated and that MacReady figures that out and that's why he laughs at the end.  How MacReady figures that out could be any of:

1. Childs has changed clothes.  When the Thing assimilates you, it ruins your clothes, so him changing clothes is extremely suspicious.  It is hard to come up with a reasonable explanation for why he would have gone to the trouble to do this given all that was happening.

2. Childs breath isn't steaming as much as MacReady's breath.

3. Childs accepts the drink, even though earlier in the movie they establish that Thing can spread by even a small amount of saliva.  It is almost impossible to believe that Childs would do this. 

4. Possibly the bottle is filled with gasoline, which confirms MacReady's suspicions from items #1-3.  But personally I don't even think it is needed. 

Spoiler

The first point you cited is really interesting, and it's something I've always overlooked. If you're right, I don't think the gas theory matters. But your second and third points don't seem like that big of a deal. I've never heard that all people's breath looks the same in the cold, and if you're pretty sure you're going to die, why not hit the head on some scotch?

I'm onto the second season of "succession" and the show gets better with every episode. I don't think I've enjoyed a cast or characters and dialogue so much since "Deadwood". One of the best black comedies out there - and I really have to view it as that, otherwise it's just a bunch of crazy power hungry spoiled brats.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hide contents

The first point you cited is really interesting, and it's something I've always overlooked. If you're right, I don't think the gas theory matters. But your second and third points don't seem like that big of a deal. I've never heard that all people's breath looks the same in the cold, and if you're pretty sure you're going to die, why not hit the head on some scotch?

Thing spoilers

Spoiler

Even if I'm going to die, I am definitely not going to do something that might get me assimilated.  Freezing to death is a LOT better than that. 

Child's breath looks very different.  If you just pull up the final scene, it is quite noticeable that MacReady's breath is steaming like 10X as much. I definitely think it was done intentionally by the film, not just a coincidence about Russell and David's manner of breathing.  Now, you can assume it's a red herring, that's your choice - the ending is ambiguous after all. 

41 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm onto the second season of "succession" and the show gets better with every episode. I don't think I've enjoyed a cast or characters and dialogue so much since "Deadwood". One of the best black comedies out there - and I really have to view it as that, otherwise it's just a bunch of crazy power hungry spoiled brats.

I’ve been looking for something to binge after finishing Perry Mason, think I’ll give this a try. 

46 minutes ago, red snow said:

I didn't find the first few episodes funny enough to to get past watching "a bunch of crazy power hungry spoiled brats" who I thoroughly disliked.    So I gave up on it.  

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Thing spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Even if I'm going to die, I am definitely not going to do something that might get me assimilated.  Freezing to death is a LOT better than that. 

Child's breath looks very different.  If you just pull up the final scene, it is quite noticeable that MacReady's breath is steaming like 10X as much. I definitely think it was done intentionally by the film, not just a coincidence about Russell and David's manner of breathing.  Now, you can assume it's a red herring, that's your choice - the ending is ambiguous after all. 

Spoiler

I just watched it and you're right. Even with some lighting disparities it's clear the difference was done on purpose. So I guess testing Childs to see if he will drink it and MacReady's laugh is the key to indicate that Childs has likely been assimilated. 

Another aspect of The Thing that is great - and there are so many - is that the characters are acting largely intelligently. They do figure out what's going on quickly. They do think about ways to deal with the problems. They quickly figure out how much shit they are in, and how they can't trust anyone. There are very few, if any, truly stupid decisions like hugging it out with a creature or something. They're just so hugely over their heads that it doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Another aspect of The Thing that is great - and there are so many - is that the characters are acting largely intelligently. They do figure out what's going on quickly. They do think about ways to deal with the problems. They quickly figure out how much shit they are in, and how they can't trust anyone. There are very few, if any, truly stupid decisions like hugging it out with a creature or something. They're just so hugely over their heads that it doesn't matter.

The people act smart. 

But the creature..... I don’t get it. It is smart enough to build a starship, but not smart  enough to communicate effectively for first contact?

I like to believe it was a biological weapon sent by a more intelligent third party to cleanse Earth of its native species before future settlement.

It just landed in the wrong place. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’ve been looking for something to binge after finishing Perry Mason, think I’ll give this a try. 

Definitely worth a try!

6 hours ago, Leofric said:

I didn't find the first few episodes funny enough to to get past watching "a bunch of crazy power hungry spoiled brats" who I thoroughly disliked.    So I gave up on it.  

Like I said you have to see it more as a comedy poking fun at these horrible people otherwise I think it's hard to empathize. I know it's entirely fictional but I like the idea that the children of the mega rich are all messed up in bizarre ways because of the money and obsession with the rat race. They all make themselves miserable in order to have more because it's all they think they have left to aim for. Even though they could just walk away from it at any time and have an easy life.

The cast are brilliant too.

The thing

When the one half assimilated guy is running in the snow and they catch him doesn't his breath show? I dunno it seems flimsy to me. It's not like they digitally added visible breath to one guy and not the other to suggest something, it was just cold when they shot it.

Well, well, well. As I look for something to watch, checking out what we have on Showtime, under horror, what do I find?

Also, at 1:48 with credits and all, this film is pretty tightly shot. There's no dead meat on it.

*And presses play*

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

The thing

Hide contents

When the one half assimilated guy is running in the snow and they catch him doesn't his breath show? I dunno it seems flimsy to me. It's not like they digitally added visible breath to one guy and not the other to suggest something, it was just cold when they shot it.

Continuity error. It's fine.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

The people act smart. 

But the creature..... I don’t get it. It is smart enough to build a starship, but not smart  enough to communicate effectively for first contact?

I like to believe it was a biological weapon sent by a more intelligent third party to cleanse Earth of its native species before future settlement.

It just landed in the wrong place. 

Nah. It was incredibly smart. It has no interest in first contact. Why would you attempt to make first contact with an ant colony?

Or even better, what it tried to do WAS first contact. For an organism that can assimilate any life it comes in contact with the most efficient way to communicate is taking them over. They're a biological borg.

Archived