Watch, Watched, Watching: The cancellations continue

Red Tiger

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Christmas movies??  You all skipping over the amazing Thanksgiving movie (just fired it up myself) - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

"People train runs out of Stubville."

"Last baby, come out sideways..." Good times.

Haven't seen it in ages.

Edit: holy crap it's playing in theaters here.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Eh, home alone isn't on my list. 

while I'm fucking myself I'll add Black Christmas and The Ice Harvest. 

I thought I heard that Black Christmas was bad, and I've never even heard of the other film.

Watched the BBC series Bodyguard over the past few days.

Not sure what to make of it tbh. It's got a lot going for it, but I could write a long rant about what was wrong with it.

Though I'll say it's full of surprises and the first episode is one of the best pilots I've ever seen.

52 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Watched the BBC series Bodyguard over the past few days.

Not sure what to make of it tbh. It's got a lot going for it, but I could write a long rant about what was wrong with it.

Though I'll say it's full of surprises and the first episode is one of the best pilots I've ever seen.

I have to agree that the pilot is fantastic and really gives you a sense that this is going to be a brilliant series.

Hard to emphasise how much the last episode does to destroy that notion.

Watched I'm No Longer Here (Ya no estoy aquí), a Mexican drama directed by Fernando Frías de la Parra. Earlier this week Mexico submitted it as its entry for best foreign film at the Academy Awards. It tells the story of Ulises, a teenager from Monterrey, Mexico who is part of a gang... well, I wouldn't exactly call them a gang, but maybe street urchins is the better term, just a bunch of kids who express themselves through cumbia music, baggy clothes, and weird hair cuts. The story jumps back and forth, beginning with his leaving Monterrey, then going back to the situation several months prior, and jumping ahead to when he's an illegal immigrant in New York City struggling to get by with no friends, no family, not even any English. It moves back and forth, explaining both what happens to him in NYC and why he left.

It's a poignant film, a sense of melancholy over all of it as you realize there's no really good ending for Ulises (although, that said, it doesn't go the obvious route I expected). The only rough patch was the New York City section where he's befriended by a bodega owner's grand-daughter; either because she's a relatively inexperienced actor, or because of the writing, or both, she comes off as out of place in a film that feels realistic and lived in, overly earnest and just a bit fake. A shame. In contrast, this is the first acting role for Juan Daniel García Treviño, who plays the lead Ulises, and there's something about him that commands attention and suggests depths of feeling despite his not being a trained actor (he's a native of Monterrey from a family of musicians who was encouraged by a music teacher to try out for the role).

Good film, well-worth watching to see one thread of what life can be like in Mexico and for undocumented immigrants in the US. 

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I thought I heard that Black Christmas was bad, and I've never even heard of the other film.

They've remade it twice, I think. I know at least one of them was bad but I like the original. I don't think The Ice Harvest is a super well known film. It's basically Jon Cussak and Billy Bob Thorton trying to avoid getting caught stealing from the mob on Christmas. 

Hillbilly Elegy -- just not working for me, for whatever reason(s).

His Dark Materials is pretty dull.  I put the first ep of the new season on pause about half way through, and just haven't returned.  Only Pan, and Lee Scorsby, who I barely glimpsed in that time frame -- but my goodness did that leap out in contrast to the dreary of what was before that, had any effect/affect -- for me.  Others here, as one can tell from its own thread, really love this series.  Also, the flying -- the martial artists from Pugilist World in Nirvana in Fire, provide a real sense of what it might be like to have a body that can fly -- it actually provokes the same sense of weightless flying when one does in one's dreams. Whereas Sarfina has to stress and strain to keep position and fight through the relentless weight of atmosphere.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

They've remade it twice, I think. I know at least one of them was bad but I like the original. I don't think The Ice Harvest is a super well known film. It's basically Jon Cussak and Billy Bob Thorton trying to avoid getting caught stealing from the mob on Christmas. 

Ah, that explains it. I thought you meant the new one. And if you're trying to sell that movie, lead with Connie Nielsen. ;)

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ah, that explains it. I thought you meant the new one. And if you're trying to sell that movie, lead with Connie Nielsen. ;)

I didn't know her name, though I recognized her from something else. She is very good in it. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I didn't know her name, though I recognized her from something else. She is very good in it. 

Her biggest role is probably in Gladiator. She's also the Queen of the Amazons in Wonder Woman.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Her biggest role is probably in Gladiator. She's also the Queen of the Amazons in Wonder Woman.

You're right about Gladiator but my favorite role of her's is in Devil's Advocate...

Spoiler

where she's Al Pacino's daughter trying to get Keanu Reeves to put the antichrist in her.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're right about Gladiator but my favorite role of her's is as Al Pacino's daughter in Devil's Advocate who's trying to get Keanu Reeves to put the antichrist in her.

I know who stars in Devil's Advocate, and I know the general plot, but I can't remember if I've ever actually watched it start to finish.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know who stars in Devil's Advocate, and I know the general plot, but I can't remember if I've ever actually watched it start to finish.

Fair enough.  Good reminder to spoiler tag that post, my bad.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Fair enough.  Good reminder to spoiler tag that post, my bad.

I'm not sure you need spoiler tags for a movie that's over 20 years old unless it's something like The Usual Suspects or Seven.

Is DA worth renting?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure you need spoiler tags for a movie that's over 20 years old unless it's something like The Usual Suspects or Seven.

Is DA worth renting?

Meh, whatever.  I'm not editing again.

I've always really enjoyed it.  Pacino is great hamming it up, and it's probably in my top two/three favorite roles for Reeves as well.  And a young Theron with a great performance.  It's a blast, quite rewatchable too.

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh, whatever.  I'm not editing again.

I've always really enjoyed it.  Pacino is great hamming it up, and it's probably in my top two/three favorite roles for Reeves as well.  And a young Theron with a great performance.  It's a blast, quite rewatchable too.

That's a good enough pitch for me. Downside is every time I see a movie listed as streaming on HBO Max I have to hold my breath checking basic HBO.

Looks like I'll have to rent this one.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's a good enough pitch for me. Downside is every time I see a movie listed as streaming on HBO Max I have to hold my breath checking basic HBO.

Looks like I'll have to rent this one.

People still rent movies? Devil Advocate is a good bad movie. Worth watching once, IMHO. 

25 minutes ago, Relic said:

People still rent movies? Devil Advocate is a good bad movie. Worth watching once, IMHO. 

On demand, yeah, and through things like Prime. I would say it's odder to see people buy movies these day, at least physical copies. 

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

On demand, yeah, and through things like Prime. I would say it's odder to see people buy movies these day, at least physical copies. 

I still do both. I only rent a movie on Prime every once in a while, but I still buy blu rays pretty frequently. Mostly of older or more obscure films that I can’t just easily find on a streaming platform. 

Archived