NFL 2020: Vanity of Vanity; All is Vanity

Jace, Extat

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Big picture this is a good thing. Handsome Jimmy isn't very good, and your coach knows it. The Niners are probably the best team in the NFC with an above average QB. 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Probably, and I expected them to cut ties with Jimmy G after the season even before yesterday.  I agree the Niners can go very far with an above average QB, the problem is finding one.

In retrospect, maybe going all in on Tom Brady would have been a good move... and if Handsome Jim had gone back to NE, ironically they would likely be better too.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In retrospect, maybe going all in on Tom Brady would have been a good move

Yeah the problem there was if they released him before the season they would have had at least $25 million in dead cap, which would've made signing Brady rather impossible.  Only way to do it would be to trade him, and I'm guessing it was difficult finding takers.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Probably, and I expected them to cut ties with Jimmy G after the season even before yesterday.  I agree the Niners can go very far with an above average QB, the problem is finding one.

Well I guess I'd propose this hypothetical, would you trade a third for Darnold with the hopes that Shanahan can fic him? You're not getting Lawrence or Fields in this draft and Idk what other prospects will be available. 

17 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In retrospect, maybe going all in on Tom Brady would have been a good move... and if Handsome Jim had gone back to NE, ironically they would likely be better too.

IIRC the Niners actually inquired about Brady first.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

would you trade a third for Darnold with the hopes that Shanahan can fic him?

No.  Even if they had their third rounder, which they traded for Williams.  Rather just keep Mullens.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

IIRC the Niners actually inquired about Brady first.

There were definitely reports they had serious interest.  Don't recall if they were reported to be first or not.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

No.  Even if they had their third rounder, which they traded for Williams.  Rather just keep Mullens.

Mullens isn't going to get you anywhere though, and the team is too good to tank either this year or next. You'll probably have to trade for someone. Darnold would be the most obvious choice if you're thinking long term. Otherwise Idk what you guys do. Want to take Cousins' contract off our hands for a 7th? 

:P

Mullens isn't going to get you anywhere though, and the team is too good to tank either this year or next. You'll probably have to trade for someone. Darnold would be the most obvious choice if you're thinking long term.

Point is I don't think Darnold is any better than Mullens.  And no I don't think even Shanahan could justify taking on Cousins' contract.  Anyway, I agree that there doesn't seem to be any good options out there.  Then again, replacing Jimmy's production only requires getting a middling QB.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Point is I don't think Darnold is any better than Mullens.  And no I don't think even Shanahan could justify taking on Cousins' contract.  Anyway, I agree that there doesn't seem to be any good options out there.  Then again, replacing Jimmy's production only requires getting a middling QB.

I think there’s a real possibility that Dak Prescott is on the market. :dunno: 

19 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think there’s a real possibility that Dak Prescott is on the market. :dunno: 

Dallas is unlikely to let him walk in FA. What would you trade for an above average game manger with a fucked up ankle? 

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And there’s a sentimental part of me that wants to bring back Alex Smith! :grouphug:

Heh, was trying to think of some veteran replacement.  Wondered if Fitzpatrick would be available, but didn't know he's 38 already, damn.  Thought maybe Foles?  I think either has a chance to be better than Garappolo under Shanahan.  Looking at mock drafts it seems even the North Dakota and BYU guys are projected to go in the top ten.  Not sure the Niners can suck enough to get there (and I know absolutely nothing about either of them).

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh, was trying to think of some veteran replacement.  Wondered if Fitzpatrick would be available, but didn't know he's 38 already, damn.  Thought maybe Foles?  I think either has a chance to be better than Garappolo under Shanahan.  Looking at mock drafts it seems even the North Dakota and BYU guys are projected to go in the top ten.  Not sure the Niners can suck enough to get there (and I know absolutely nothing about either of them).

As a friend, I must say when you're telling yourself that Foles might be the solution, you need to get help. Idk for what, but help is required.

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The Niners can take Trubiskey.  Problem solved.

Thanks again for not drafting Mahomes or Watson! 

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

As a friend, I must say when you're telling yourself that Foles might be the solution, you need to get help. Idk for what, but help is required.

Meh beggars can't be choosers.

Also just realized the Niners technically got Fred Warner in the Thomas/Trubisky trade.  That's pretty cool.

I was hoping the Seahawks would make a trade for some help on pass rush, but they haven’t got much salary cap room.

The Bears should definitely be looking for some OL help, and they do have salary cap room.  The defense makes this team competitive, and Miller and Robinson can run dangerous routes if Foles can have enough time in the pocket to locate them. 

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh beggars can't be choosers.

Also just realized the Niners technically got Fred Warner in the Thomas/Trubisky trade.  That's pretty cool.

I'd rather have Jimmy than Foles. Don't let one season and a good playoff run fool you.

5 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I was hoping the Seahawks would make a trade for some help on pass rush, but they haven’t got much salary cap room.

They traded for Dunlap. Not a game changing trade, but he's been good throughout his career. There just weren't many edge options available and the Ravens were smart to move quickly trading with the Vikes for probably the best option that was available at fair value.

I'm curious if the Texans will trade Watt. Everyone seems to think the Packers will try to get him. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd rather have Jimmy than Foles. 

Not when you compare the contracts.  And I honestly think Foles has good chance to at least match Jimmy's production under Shanahan.

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not when you compare the contracts.  And I honestly think Foles has good chance to at least match Jimmy's production under Shanahan.

It's a lateral move at best. Take a risk and do something that says you want to win now.

Given the Texans two firsts and two seconds for Watson, assuming you have the picks. 

Archived