NFL 2020: Vanity of Vanity; All is Vanity

Jace, Extat

Lot of wild finishes today. Detroit looks like a typical Patricia team and is absolute garbage after having a big lead, then gets the ball with 18 seconds left and ends up winning on a last second 59 yard fg. Even that is typical Lions, win a meaningless game in a miracle and get a worse draft pick!

Buffalo, who I have adopted this season...drives it down for a winning td! Except they left time on the clock and Murray throws a hail mary to that WR the Texans didn't want and he pulls it in while surrounded by three defenders.

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

God the NFC East is trash.

I was watching the NFL Primetime on ESPN+ last night and they mentioned the race to 8 wins to win the East... and then they allowed that maybe its the race to 7.

And I'm over here just thinking whoever gets 6 wins from that division is probably in the driver's seat!  I don't want to do a deep dive into their remaining schedules, but considering that we are past the halfway point and the division leader is 3-5-1; I just think we are really looking at a chance for a 6 win team to host a playoff game.  And by God... I'm rooting for Alex Smith and the WFT.

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

And of course the Patriots who most people assumed were starting a full on tank beat the Ravens.  Because football.

Tanking is endemic to punditry now. Not every team that goes on a losing streak is tanking. Sometimes they're trying their best but they just fucking suck.

Damn, this is cold-blooded and I love it.

He's talking about former team chaplain and the current GM of the Houston Texans who has expressed interest in keeping Romeo Crennel as the Houston head coach. 

I love seeing the Steelers smack the Bengals around. That said, I like their skill players. Burrow and co will be a tough opponent in years to come. I think this years Dolphins is what the Bengals aspire to be in the next two years if they can draft well and get a good HC. The Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd combo is nice. Captain Obvious comment on the o line being trash. Don't want Burrow to be the next Andrew Luck. 

Lamar being on the same level as Mahommes might be the most premature take ever from the media. I can't remember who all said that exactly cause I don't jot this stuff down, but I recall all mainstream media on Fox and ESPN had Lamar in the same tier as Mahommes/Rodgers/Wilson. Pump the brakes. 

3 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Lamar being on the same level as Mahommes might be the most premature take ever from the media. I can't remember who all said that exactly cause I don't jot this stuff down, but I recall all mainstream media on Fox and ESPN had Lamar in the same tier as Mahommes/Rodgers/Wilson. Pump the brakes. 

He was playing like that last year. It's also worth noting that there were a few key departures from the offense, including a HoF level guard, and his best WR is a two on most teams. He needs more around him. 

But other than the three you listed, how many guys would you seriously take over Lamar? Murray and Watson are the only two I'd consider. 

54 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I love seeing the Steelers smack the Bengals around. That said, I like their skill players. Burrow and co will be a tough opponent in years to come. I think this years Dolphins is what the Bengals aspire to be in the next two years if they can draft well and get a good HC. The Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd combo is nice. Captain Obvious comment on the o line being trash. Don't want Burrow to be the next Andrew Luck. 

Our OL has actually been much better lately (Quinton Spain was a nice pickup). Not great by any means, but I expected it to be way worse against the Steelers. Yeah they gave up 4 sacks, but one them was just Burrow holding the ball too long trying to make a play on 3rd down.

It’s actually not even our biggest need anymore tbh. That would be DL. We have absolutely no pass rush. All teams have to do it double Carl Lawson and it’s a wrap. I think they only got their hands on Ben once yesterday, and ofc he used his mutant strength and threw a dime for a TD instead of going down. 

But yeah, Joe Burrow to Tee Higgins has been one of the bright spots of yet another abysmal season. Carson Palmer had Chad Johnson and Andy Dalton had AJ Green, it looks like we have another good duo with Joe and Tee. 

I'm the biggest Lamar fan there is, I'd take Mahomes and Wilson over him and maybe Brady/Rodgers if I was going all in on a 3 year plan and the team was otherwise golden. That's about where the conversation becomes more subjective for me. Deshaun Watson is a better passer but less dynamic, it's really dealer's choice there.

Lamar isn't playing as well this year, but the O-line was a problem before Ronnie Stanley got hurt (Ty mentioned Yanda retired) and the rest of the offense is surprisingly talent poor. Willie Snead wasn't good enough to get touches in NO and he's the most dependable WR in Baltimore, and Marquise is fast but doesn't seem like anything approaching a star. I see a lot of passes from Lamar that are on target but get dropped/broken up because his receivers are allergic to creating separation. Mark Andrews is a really good TE, but he's not a one-man playmaker or anything. I think the Ravens remain a contender, but I really want to see Lamar in an offense with more talent around him. Future is bright if this is how he struggles.

The thing I don't get about Lamar is despite having good arm strength on deep balls, it feels like he can't translate that to a crisp out route pass. I haven't looked in a while, but I recall his stats throwing outside the numbers on intermediate routes being fairly pedestrian. 

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s so grim watching the Bears.  The offense couldn’t do anything all night, even with two turnovers given to them.  And now the defense has a couple of injuries too many.

Have the Bears had a sustained good offense ever? I know there's a random year here and there, but I can't think of a period where they've actually been good in my lifetime. 

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The thing I don't get about Lamar is despite having good arm strength on deep balls, it feels like he can't translate that to a crisp out route pass. I haven't looked in a while, but I recall his stats throwing outside the numbers on intermediate routes being fairly pedestrian. 

Receivers are not built for it. TE's aren't fast enough to get there clean, the WR's are too small to run routes that rely on the receiver's physicality. It's not that he can physically not throw an out route, it gets there with fine velocity and accuracy most of the time. It's that the offense is not designed or equipped to attack defenses there. Which I think is a problem. A Ravens problem, though. Not a Lamar problem.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have the Bears had a sustained good offense ever? I know there's a random year here and there, but I can't think of a period where they've actually been good in my lifetime. 

I think they now appreciate that Jay Cutler was the best they've ever had and he's not coming back.

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Receivers are not built for it. TE's aren't fast enough to get there clean, the WR's are too small to run routes that rely on the receiver's physicality. It's not that he can physically not throw an out route, it gets there with fine velocity and accuracy most of the time. It's that the offense is not designed or equipped to attack defenses there. Which I think is a problem. A Ravens problem, though. Not a Lamar problem.

I recall it being a knock on him coming out of college though, too. 

I think they now appreciate that Jay Cutler was the best they've ever had and he's not coming back.

But even with Cutler their offense wasn't great. It was just good enough to aid some good to great defenses. 

Foles got fucked up there at the end. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He was playing like that last year. It's also worth noting that there were a few key departures from the offense, including a HoF level guard, and his best WR is a two on most teams. He needs more around him. 

But other than the three you listed, how many guys would you seriously take over Lamar? Murray and Watson are the only two I'd consider. 

I'd consider Josh Allen as well. People here have been trashing Allen since he was drafted and he has done nothing but get better every year. The addition of Diggs has made a world of difference because people are now worried about the wr's where before they really weren't. 

Lamar looks avg as a passer and it's being exposed this year. He has a hell of an arm but struggles with consistency and the tape shows it. That said, if I had him I wouldn't trade him because I think this is his team and it would destroy them. I'd have to find a way to use him better. This is a coaching thing that they need to review his tape as if they were scouting him and see what he is doing poorly and take those plays right out of the book. Draft him another OL and WR

Archived