NFL 2020: Vanity of Vanity; All is Vanity

Jace, Extat

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is so dumb it's stopped being funny.

Said only by you. Literally just about every professional commentator separates the two because they are distinctly different games. 

I have read the averages, which show there's been a marginal difference for a while now - hence me saying they're basically tied.  And if it's a bad metric why are you using it?  No matter what metric you use, the differences are negligible.

So basically tied is now okay? FFS man.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Said only by you.

Um, no.  I'm definitely not the only one who doesn't consider the NFL and college football two different sports.

So basically tied is now okay? FFS man.

Uh, yeah.  Basically tied means one isn't significantly more popular than the other.  What the fuck's your point here?

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Um, no.  I'm definitely not the only one who doesn't consider the NFL and college football two different sports.

If they were one in the same, they'd be the NBA and the G League or the various levels of European soccer. But they aren't. They are different structurally and between the lines. And college football is more popular than the NBA or MLB. It's the country's second biggest sport.

Uh, yeah.  Basically tied means one isn't significantly more popular than the other.  What the fuck's your point here?

It's only tied because of the bubble year, and younger viewers, who watch the NBA more than MLB, have been cutting the cord.

It's only tied because of the bubble year, and younger viewers, who watch the NBA more than MLB, have been cutting the cord.

You mean the MLB only beat them because of the bubble year?  Don't see why the MLB had any inherent advantage this year compared to the NBA.  Anyway, point is the differences have been negligible for at least decade now.  As for the NBA lagging due to cord cutters, first this is an unfounded assumption.  Second, if they're cutting the cord, what makes you think they're watching the finals in the first place?

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

You mean the MLB only beat them because of the bubble year?  Don't see why the MLB had any inherent advantage this year compared to the NBA.  Anyway, point is the differences have been negligible for at least decade now.  As for the NBA lagging due to cord cutters, first this is an unfounded assumption.  Second, if they're cutting the cord, what makes you think they're watching the finals in the first place?

It's admittedly an assumption, but I've read a number of articles over the past few years that make me believe the evidence is there. Baseball has slipped, and if you include college football, which is the second largest sport, MLB is now number four. A great World Series brought a lot of casual fans back, but I think overall it's still going to loose ground overall to the other major sports. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A great World Series brought a lot of casual fans back, but I think overall it's still going to loose ground overall to the other major sports. 

I have no idea why you think this year's World Series was "great."  Both went 6 games, both had LA teams vs. Florida teams, and Miami is a much larger market than Tampa.

And please stop insisting college football and professional football are different sports.  It's pathetic.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

I have no idea why you think this year's World Series was "great."  Both went 6 games, both had LA teams vs. Florida teams, and Miami is a much larger market than Tampa.

And please stop insisting college football and professional football are different sports.  It's pathetic.

It was great for a sports starved country. 

And I will not. The NFL and NCAAF are the two biggest sports leagues in the country. They are sperate entities. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was great for a sports starved country. 

And I will not. The NFL and NCAAF are the two biggest sports leagues in the country. They are sperate entities. 

To be fair, I have heard the same statement from multiple ESPN talking heads.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

To be fair, I have heard the same statement from multiple ESPN talking heads.

Fuck ESPN at this point!

Also, the "there's no penalty for flipping into the endzone" is hilarious, but Marv Albert on the call is 50 years too old. 

The Giants defense bullied the Seahawks all day.  Seattle were unlucky to only get a safety rather than TD on the blocked punt, but their offense struggled to produce anything all game, and they gave up a couple of turnovers.

The OL pass protection is still a big problem (and another injury early on today), but it doesn’t help that Wilson’s scrambling is much less effective these days.  He gets sacked for big losses or IG calls — even Eli Manning knew when to get rid of the ball.  I think he’s missing Doug Baldwin because none of the current receivers scramble to create a fresh option like Baldwin did.  They just don’t get much anymore when Wilson tries to extend the play.  Metcalf is playing really well, but Wilson didn’t spot him a couple of times when he made a good change to his original route (and Russ threw to Carson instead, who dropped it each time).  And Metcalf still drops a couple of long throws every game.  Lockett has less and less impact on games.  Tissley is doing ok for a back-up TE, but overall that’s just not enough options.  Moore hardly got targeted today. 

It doesn’t really matter though.  Seattle don’t have enough to be a danger in the play-offs.  They’d need a lot of people back healthy, and an opponent with an indifferent pass rush.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fuck ESPN at this point!

Also, the "there's no penalty for flipping into the endzone" is hilarious, but Marv Albert on the call is 50 years too old. 

I was saying that to agree with you... they argue that NCAAF is the second most popular sport in the US.

Archived