NFL 2020: Vanity of Vanity; All is Vanity

Jace, Extat

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I recall it being a knock on him coming out of college though, too. 

But even with Cutler their offense wasn't great. It was just good enough to aid some good to great defenses. 

Foles got fucked up there at the end. 

I didn't watch all of Lamarr's college games. I can only tell you what I've seen as a pro (every snap).

Regarding Jay, none of those offenses were top half of the league, but Jay had franchise QB abilities that at least let them supplement the defense as you said.

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I'd consider Josh Allen as well. People here have been trashing Allen since he was drafted and he has done nothing but get better every year. The addition of Diggs has made a world of difference because people are now worried about the wr's where before they really weren't. 

No. Allen has improved and came out hot to start the year, but he's come back to Earth. I'd take Herbert over him if we're drafting tall white guys with big arms who can scoot. 

Lamar looks avg as a passer and it's being exposed this year. He has a hell of an arm but struggles with consistency and the tape shows it. That said, if I had him I wouldn't trade him because I think this is his team and it would destroy them. I'd have to find a way to use him better. This is a coaching thing that they need to review his tape as if they were scouting him and see what he is doing poorly and take those plays right out of the book. Draft him another OL and WR

If Jackson wasn't a running threat he'd be an average QB. I can't think of a comp off the top of my head though. That said, he doesn't have a lot around him and the offense is pretty conservative. Imagine him on your Cowboys with all that talent around him?

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I didn't watch all of Lamarr's college games. I can only tell you what I've seen as a pro (every snap).

I only watched a few, but you could tell he jumped off the screen. He just needs to be able to expand the playbook. I think he has the arm talent to make most throws you need a star to make, but it doesn't seem like they're running them. :dunno:

Regarding Jay, none of those offenses were top half of the league, but Jay had franchise QB abilities that at least let them supplement the defense as you said.

I still think it's hilarious that one projection I read about Mahomes was that he's basically a positive, humble and all around likeable version of Jay Cutler.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have the Bears had a sustained good offense ever? I know there's a random year here and there, but I can't think of a period where they've actually been good in my lifetime. 

55 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I think they now appreciate that Jay Cutler was the best they've ever had and he's not coming back.

There’s an alternate universe where the Bears drafted Mahomes and won the SB.  Most Bears fans spend a lot of time there.

The OL isn’t helping the Bears much.  It goes unremarked but the pass protection is consistently bad and the run game rarely gets any traction.  They probably need a better OL more than they need a better QB.  

14 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There’s an alternate universe where the Bears drafted Mahomes and won the SB.  Most Bears fans spend a lot of time there.

The OL isn’t helping the Bears much.  It goes unremarked but the pass protection is consistently bad and the run game rarely gets any traction.  They probably need a better OL more than they need a better QB.  

I really wouldn't do that to yourselves. Lament you fucked up by not drafting Watson. I would have taken him first overall that year. No one know have seen Mahomes becoming arguably the best QB ever already at such a young age. 

Our DL sucks with Hunter on IR all year, but we still pushed your line around. This game was basically an odd, but good offense against a great defense and a bad offense verses just a flat out odd defense. And we suck at special teams. 

11 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Receivers are not built for it. TE's aren't fast enough to get there clean, the WR's are too small to run routes that rely on the receiver's physicality. It's not that he can physically not throw an out route, it gets there with fine velocity and accuracy most of the time. It's that the offense is not designed or equipped to attack defenses there. Which I think is a problem. A Ravens problem, though. Not a Lamar problem.

I agree that Baltimore's receiving corps is just not good enough.  Against the Steelers, the Ravens appeared to have consistent trouble running or completing their routes, and none of them were big or strong enough to dominate the Pittsburgh DBs in 1v1 matchups.  This has to cause confidence issues in the QB no matter who it is, as the read progressions would be "No, no, nope, uh, time to run" almost every snap.

If Lamar played with the Pittsburgh WRs, he would have a much better opportunity to find an open receiver or at least a positive matchup.

Also, I don't think the Ravens have an incremental improvement or innovation to their offensive game plan this season that adds to their success last year.  Defenses are seeing a lot of things that were new and thus difficult to stop last year again this year, so they are prepared for them.

These two factors, stale offense and mediocre receivers, don't give Lamar a big envelope for successful performance this year.  I am sort of surprised that Baltimore didn't act to improve their receivers or innovate/play call to use what they have better.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I really wouldn't do that to yourselves. Lament you fucked up by not drafting Watson. I would have taken him first overall that year. No one know have seen Mahomes becoming arguably the best QB ever already at such a young age. 

Our DL sucks with Hunter on IR all year, but we still pushed your line around. This game was basically an odd, but good offense against a great defense and a bad offense verses just a flat out odd defense. And we suck at special teams. 

I stopped watching after Thielen’s second TD.  I knew the Bears wouldn’t be able to generate any offense even with 10 minutes remaining.  And the defense was facing the same 4th quarter problem of injuries and fatigue after being on the field for ~80% of the game so far.

If the Bears managed their usual sweep of the Vikes and Lions, they’d be in the playoffs this year.  The extra wildcard spot and the terrible NFC East make it attainable for them if they just pick up wins in the division.  But they have nothing to offer in the playoffs anyway.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I stopped watching after Thielen’s second TD.  I knew the Bears wouldn’t be able to generate any offense even with 10 minutes remaining.  And the defense was facing the same 4th quarter problem of injuries and fatigue after being on the field for ~80% of the game so far.

If the Bears managed their usual sweep of the Vikes and Lions, they’d be in the playoffs this year.  The extra wildcard spot and the terrible NFC East make it attainable for them if they just pick up wins in the division.  But they have nothing to offer in the playoffs anyway.

It's an inspiring defense, but the offense really is terribad. Tough being friends with Bears fans sometimes, their optimism brings them only pain.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

If the Bears managed their usual sweep of the Vikes

Say what now? Vikings own the head to head record.

53 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It's an inspiring defense, but the offense really is terribad. Tough being friends with Bears fans sometimes, their optimism brings them only pain.

Idk about that. I think each NFC North fan base has pretty rational relationships with their teams. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk about that. I think each NFC North fan base has pretty rational relationships with their teams. 

Yeah but I find any amount of optimism offensive. To see it for the Bears offense to turn it around is maddening.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Umm yeah no. Every year Lions fans actually believe this will be their year...and that isn't rational. 

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Over a century, yes.  Bears had won the last four in a row though.  Same against the Lions (and extended that record this season so far).  Nagy seemed to have an easy four game boost to the record each season, even with Trubiskey as QB.  But even that crumb of comfort is disappearing now.

4 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Brian Flores seems like the only Patriot coaching system graduate who isn't an absolute piece of garbage. Patricia, Judge, O'Brien - all terrible as both coaches and leaders. Patricia still the worst by far but it's early.

How quickly Mangina is forgotten. 

BB coaching tree is like the white tree of Gondor, shriveled and dead, because unless you have the BB big brain to go with the rest of it, you're never going to be able to pull it off, this is why his coordinators always fail.  I would put Vrabel on the tree and so far he's doing okay, and so is Flores, but that isn't much of a tree after 20+ years, is it? 2 dudes who have yet to flame out spectacularly and Nick Saban. 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Over a century, yes.  Bears had won the last four in a row though.  Same against the Lions (and extended that record this season so far).  Nagy seemed to have an easy four game boost to the record each season, even with Trubiskey as QB.  But even that crumb of comfort is disappearing now.

And before that the Vikes won six out of seven. That's how it goes.

Archived