NFL 2020: Vanity of Vanity; All is Vanity

Jace, Extat

You're revealing a total lack of insight into how sports rivalries work if you're clinging to the excellence of the teams. I (Boston resident) get at least as  much enjoyment from the Pats throttling the terrible, terrible Jets than an average non-playoff Sox/Yankees series. It's not based on anything calculated, it's just the way it is. Even the Giants, who beat the Pats in two Superbowls through mostly luck and terrible errors by the Pats don't generate the same kind of base level animosity in my heart and they should due to Dave Gettleman alone.

In terms of the time frame, Steelers v Ravens goes back twenty years. Yankees v Red Sox goes back over a hundred. It's just not the same.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, focusing so much on two years in a twenty year window misses the point.

I'm not.  You're just claiming I am as a strawman.  I've mentioned how many times they've faced each other in the playoffs - Ravens/Steelers win 4-3 - and how many times they each made the playoffs - Yanks/Sox win 7-5.  Here's one more to indicate how competitive each team has been this century - the Yanks have made the playoffs 16 times (NOT counting 2020) while the Sox have made it 10 times, for a cumulative 26.  Both the Steelers and Ravens have made the playoffs 12 times for a cumulative 24.  Again, the Yanks/Sox win.  (This isn't even mentioning the fact only 4 teams made the playoffs from 2000-2011 and only 5 from 2012-2019 compared to the NFL's 6.)

Here's one more - how many times have the teams had sub-.500 records?  If the teams are .500 or better, then presumably this addresses your "consistency" and "stakes" argument - even if they missed the playoffs, they were still competitive teams.  The Yankees have always been over .500 this century, the Steelers were only under .500 once.  Both the Ravens and the Sox were under .500 four times.  Again, Yanks/Sox slightly wins.  Thus, this...

Ravens-Steelers has been consistently good over that timespan. You can't say the same for Yanks-Sox.

is completely unfounded, and in fact wrong.  And this...

in a pervious post you basically spelled out how the rivalries are basically a wash matchup wise, and in that case, the football rivalry pretty obviously wins out unless you're being a biased fan, which is exactly what's happening here.

is just shockingly stupid.  So if it's a wash that means the football rivalry "pretty obviously wins"?  And I'm the one being biased?  Why in the fuck does the football one inherently win?  Because of, as we mentioned, football is more popular than baseball?  Ok, but as I repeatedly said, the Yanks/Sox rivalry transcends that.  And when I pointed out that was the case in terms of running a poll, you again dismissed that as bias.

Overall, on a quantitative and qualitative level, your arguments are objectively and thoroughly wrong.  And your claims of bias are absurd and pathetic.

Scarcity of games. It's why baseball is a dying sport.

LOL.  K, first of all, obviously one tenth of the games makes each game much more important in football.  That means the stakes of any given game are inarguably higher, yes, but not the stakes of the rivalry.  You conflating the two is either incredibly stupid or disingenuous bullshit.  Second, baseball isn't a "dying sport," it's just decidedly less popular than football.  In terms of the teams discussed, both the Yankees and Sox are worth significantly more than the Steelers and Ravens.  Third, saying "stakes matter significantly more" in one sport compared to another is still a completely nonsensical statement.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I'm not.  You're just claiming I am as a strawman.  I've mentioned how many times they've faced each other in the playoffs - Ravens/Steelers win 4-3 - and how many times they each made the playoffs - Yanks/Sox win 7-5.  Here's one more to indicate how competitive each team has been this century - the Yanks have made the playoffs 16 times (NOT counting 2020) while the Sox have made it 10 times, for a cumulative 26.  Both the Steelers and Ravens have made the playoffs 12 times for a cumulative 24.  Again, the Yanks/Sox win.  (This isn't even mentioning the fact only 4 teams made the playoffs from 2000-2011 and only 5 from 2012-2019 compared to the NFL's 6.)

Here's one more - how many times have the teams had sub-.500 records?  If the teams are .500 or better, then presumably this addresses your "consistency" and "stakes" argument - even if they missed the playoffs, they were still competitive teams.  The Yankees have always been over .500 this century, the Steelers were only under .500 once.  Both the Ravens and the Sox were under .500 four times.  Again, Yanks/Sox slightly wins.  Thus, this...

is completely unfounded, and in fact wrong.  And this...

is just shockingly stupid.  So if it's a wash that means the football rivalry "pretty obviously wins"?  And I'm the one being biased?  Why in the fuck does the football one inherently win?  Because of, as we mentioned, football is more popular than baseball?  Ok, but as I repeatedly said, the Yanks/Sox rivalry transcends that.  And when I pointed out that was the case in terms of running a poll, you again dismissed that as bias.

Interesting, I thought the Sox missed the playoffs more than that. But to your last point, yeah football wins out because the NFL is clearly the biggest and most popular sport while MLB is likely the fourth most popular sport. That's a huge difference. Football simply matters more than baseball. 

LOL.  K, first of all, obviously one tenth of the games makes each game much more important in football.  That means the stakes of any given game are inarguably higher, yes, but not the stakes of the rivalry.  You conflating the two is either incredibly stupid or disingenuous bullshit.  

It's neither. One requires your eyeballs every time they play while the other doesn't. It's a different story if they meet in the playoffs, but for most fans, baseball isn't the emotional investment that football is, and that plays a role when ranking rivalries. 

Second, baseball isn't a "dying sport," it's just decidedly less popular than football.  In terms of the teams discussed, both the Yankees and Sox are worth significantly more than the Steelers and Ravens. 

That's apples and oranges. The markets play a huge role in the value of a franchise, hence why the shitty Knicks are worth more than the Sox and every football team not named the Cowboys per Forbes, but on average, NFL teams I believe are worth about a billion or so more than MLB teams.

Third, saying "stakes matter significantly more" in one sport compared to another is still a completely nonsensical statement.

What? A loss in football is way worse than a loss in baseball. The stakes are far higher in football than they are in baseball. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

yeah football wins out because the NFL is clearly the biggest and most popular sport while MLB is likely the fourth most popular sport. That's a huge difference. Football simply matters more than baseball.

Um, what?  Baseball is not the fourth most popular sport.  It's obviously over hockey in any metric.  Basketball and baseball is arguable either way using different metrics, they're basically tied (within the United States, obviously basketball is more popular globally).  Anyway, there's no point in arguing if your only argument is football matters more because it's more popular than baseball - even ignoring the fact this is different when it comes to the Yanks-Sox rivalry.  For all your whining about bias, it is you that's being openly and admittedly biased.  Based on your logic, whatever rivalry is the biggest in football is inarguably the biggest in sports, any other considerations be damned.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's neither. One requires your eyeballs every time they play while the other doesn't. It's a different story if they meet in the playoffs, but for most fans, baseball isn't the emotional investment that football is, and that plays a role when ranking rivalries. 

Yep, this is an incredibly stupid argument.  Baseball isn't an emotional investment for its fans because there's ten times more regular season games?  What a baselessly dumb thing to say.  Division rivals play each other nineteen times a season.  There's the obvious argument that makes it MORE of an investment for baseball fans in terms of rivalries.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The markets play a huge role in the value of a franchise

So?  If you're gonna simply and only use the crutch "football is more popular," then why the fuck should that matter?  Yes, the Yankees and Sox are more popular because of their markets.  By your logic, that should mean they easily win because they're clearly the bigger, more popular, and more wealthy markets.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What? A loss in football is way worse than a loss in baseball. The stakes are far higher in football than they are in baseball. 

OMG you're so obtuse.  The stakes of a single game are higher.  All you said was "stakes" - themselves - "matter significantly more" in one sport compared to another.  That statement makes no sense.  How you don't realize that is concerning.

11 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I always knew you were good people. 

Oh, forgot, guess I should explain my annoyance at Steelers fandom.  Ironically, it predates me moving to Pitt.  It started, just generally, that wherever I moved to or even visited I would find Steelers fans everywhere.  It grated on me for awhile, then when I moved to Orlando in 2007 it started to seethe.  EVERYWHERE around the I-4 corridor, there are tons of Steelers fans.  And not, like, transplants from Pittsburgh.  Just random ass and/or bandwagon Steelers fans that seemed to populate every fucking bar I went to.  Then, when I started frequenting the Beef O'Brady's that was about 150 yards from my apartment complex, it too was literally a Steelers themed bar.  I still became a regular there cuz I hung out with the staff, but come to find out it wasn't even because the owners were Steelers fans, but rather that's who most of their regulars were.  In fucking east Orlando.  Grr.

Since I've moved to Pitt I don't have much of a problem with Steelers fans.  My only real complaint is just there's so damn many of them and this city has so few bars that have NFL ticket.  So when I wanted to go to the bar to watch the Niners game we'd have to show up around an hour early to Bdubs to make sure we could sit down somewhere.

43 minutes ago, briantw said:

Come on now. Just because it's a Lions superfan who always defends him while consistently referring to him as "Coach Patricia," never tweets during games, and follows Brady, Gronk, Edelman and the Pats, doesn't mean that's Patricia. You would have known better if you'd just listened to Coach Patricia, who is the best thing to happen to Detroit since Insane Clown Posse.

14 hours ago, briantw said:

Ravens just put in their third string QB...Trace McSorley?

That's gotta be a fake name, right?

I remember him from when UK beat Penn State in a bowl game a couple years ago.

24 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

That was an excellent bit of penalty calling in the Dolphins/Bengals game.  5 penalties and 3 ejections on one punt return.  And the ref kept it all straight without notecards.

This game has been an absolute shit show. Zac Taylor should be fired immediately after the game, and forced to take an Uber back to the airport. 

24 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

A stupid sack-fumble by Trubiskey at his own 10yd line inside the 2-minute to give them the winning TD.  

God bless the Bears for not drafting Mahomes or Watson :P

Ugly win for the Vikings, but we're the leaders of "in the hunt." 

25 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

This game has been an absolute shit show. Zac Taylor should be fired immediately after the game, and forced to take an Uber back to the airport. 

No, you're wrong Nic. Dead wrong.

He needs to be fired out of a cannon into the sun. 

Archived