Videogames - Meanwhile in Poland.

Red Tiger

Really enjoyed Wizard of Legend.

It's rogue-like/lite, the goal of each run is fight 3/5 Elemental Wizards (Earth, Storm, Air, Water, Fire) and then take on the Chaos Wizard.

You have a certain number of spell slots and item slots. The spells have some great pixel art animations.

Cons are the bad guys are pretty repetitive across the stages so it's not for everyone.

Debating between upgrading my PC again (I still only have a 250GB SSD, everything else is HDD; and its still a GTX 1070 GPU) and just getting one of the new consoles instead. I should probably just do the upgrade, but I'm feeling lazy. Although, I can probably still get away just fine with the 1070 since I only play in 1080p, but I feel like the lack of SSD space is going to be a real issue going forward.

37 minutes ago, Fez said:

Debating between upgrading my PC again (I still only have a 250GB SSD, everything else is HDD; and its still a GTX 1070 GPU) and just getting one of the new consoles instead. I should probably just do the upgrade, but I'm feeling lazy. Although, I can probably still get away just fine with the 1070 since I only play in 1080p, but I feel like the lack of SSD space is going to be a real issue going forward.

It'll be tight, but then again adding an SDD is one of the easiest things you can do and there's a whole raft of sales on right now. They had a 2TB SSD for under £100 a few weeks back and I was tempted by that, but ultimately my 500 GB SSD is still getting me by.

A 1070 should also see you fine for the next little while, at least at 1080p. I think I'm regretting from a 1060 to 2060, when for the same money and waiting a couple of months I could have had a 3070 for not much more (although I think my CPU is now bottlenecking my system so there are limits to what I can do without a much more in-depth upgrade).

Pumpkin Jack has bad writing but is pretty and has really great music.

Last night I wanted a comfort game so Arkham Knight it was.  I agree this game forces you into the Batmobile far too much but I find myself enjoying that more than I thought I would.  I normally don't like vehicle dependence in a game.  I hated the thing in Mass Effect.  I do like the battles with the drone tanks, though.  I find myself driving around looking for trouble.  Knight is the worst...least best...of the Arkham games but is still head and shoulders above many games I have played.  They are all just so good. 

So my favorite games now are...

Tomb Raider most recent trilogy

Horizon Zero Dawn

Arkham trilogy...Asylum, City and Knight

Control

World of Warcraft which still owns a portion of my soul

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

It'll be tight, but then again adding an SDD is one of the easiest things you can do and there's a whole raft of sales on right now. They had a 2TB SSD for under £100 a few weeks back and I was tempted by that, but ultimately my 500 GB SSD is still getting me by.

A 1070 should also see you fine for the next little while, at least at 1080p. I think I'm regretting from a 1060 to 2060, when for the same money and waiting a couple of months I could have had a 3070 for not much more (although I think my CPU is now bottlenecking my system so there are limits to what I can do without a much more in-depth upgrade).

Yeah, I'm thinking about a 3070, but I'm just not sure it's worth it at 1080p (also, I need to check its physical size, I can only barely fit the 1070 in my case). The SSD is the bigger issue. And once I start spending any money I do need to seriously think about how much I'd save if I had Xbox Gamepass (which I understand has quite a bit more than PC Gamepass on it). Also, I pretty much always just ignored the Sony exclusives, but after finally getting to play Horizon: Zero Dawn this summer, I'm thinking maybe I need to look more closely at them (also I don't want to wait another 4 years to play the H:ZD sequel, assuming it ever gets ported).

8 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Pumpkin Jack has bad writing but is pretty and has really great music.

Last night I wanted a comfort game so Arkham Knight it was.  I agree this game forces you into the Batmobile far too much but I find myself enjoying that more than I thought I would.  I normally don't like vehicle dependence in a game.  I hated the thing in Mass Effect.  I do like the battles with the drone tanks, though.  I find myself driving around looking for trouble.  Knight is the worst...least best...of the Arkham games but is still head and shoulders above many games I have played.  They are all just so good. 

So my favorite games now are...

Tomb Raider most recent trilogy

Horizon Zero Dawn

Arkham trilogy...Asylum, City and Knight

Control

World of Warcraft which still owns a portion of my soul

The main problem with Arkham Knight isn't the tank stuff so much as the fact that they stripped away so much of what made the first two games so good.  There are very few unique indoor areas compared to previous entries in the series, and that coincides with less intricate level design and stealth encounters.  If the tank had been more like 25% of the game rather than 50+, I don't think people would have minded as much.

It's still a good game and all the Joker stuff is fantastic, though.  But seriously, fuck the Riddler racing challenges.  

Gears Tactics started off so well but has gotten decidedly tedious at what appears to be around the halfway mark. The side missions have become mind-bogglingly repetitive and grindy; the absolutely maddeningly tiny, incrementally-better loot drops requiring you to micro-manage your squad's loadout between every single mission are the creation of a madman; and the constant introduction of new enemies who are just massively more bullet-spongey instead of a genuine new tactical challenge is lazy.

The story combat missions are still fun (although the story itself is bobbins, with very little effort made to fill newbies to the franchise in on what's going on), the amusingly rectangular characters with their infinite ammo supply (where are all their bullets coming from?) aren't off-putting and the chunky action can be quite satisfying, but it's becoming a bit of a chore, and not a patch on Chimera Squad (which seemed to get the rough end of the review stick when the two games came out within days of one another).

14 hours ago, briantw said:

The main problem with Arkham Knight isn't the tank stuff so much as the fact that they stripped away so much of what made the first two games so good.  There are very few unique indoor areas compared to previous entries in the series, and that coincides with less intricate level design and stealth encounters.  If the tank had been more like 25% of the game rather than 50+, I don't think people would have minded as much.

It's still a good game and all the Joker stuff is fantastic, though.  But seriously, fuck the Riddler racing challenges.  

I completely agree with everything you say here.  That's Knight in a nutshell.  The Joker could have been bad but they really nailed it.  Hamill's Joker makes me love the Joker and I'm typically ambivalent about him.  Has to be an all-time great voice performance.

I also hate the Riddler races but I do like his trap rooms.

24 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I completely agree with everything you say here.  That's Knight in a nutshell.  The Joker could have been bad but they really nailed it.  Hamill's Joker makes me love the Joker and I'm typically ambivalent about him.  Has to be an all-time great voice performance.

I also hate the Riddler races but I do like his trap rooms.

The trap rooms were fine.  The races just existed to justify the inclusion of the Batmobile and weren't fun at all.  It was the first game in the series where I didn't bother beating Riddler.

16 hours ago, briantw said:

This hits the nail on the head for me. They introduced more enemy types too, which really changed the dynamics of the predator sections, so it’s a shame they were so lacklustre.

I played the VR Batman game and the story is not bad but it has less content than the Rick and Morty VR game and I finished that one in 2 hours. 

I got XCOM 2 because it was on sale. The story works pretty well for me because the most fun campaign I played was an impossible difficulty ironman game and I lost XCOM Base Defense mission which ended that campaign in principle(the game allows a reload for this mission and for the final mission even on ironman though).

On 10/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, Sci-2 said:

Really enjoyed Wizard of Legend.

It's rogue-like/lite, the goal of each run is fight 3/5 Elemental Wizards (Earth, Storm, Air, Water, Fire) and then take on the Chaos Wizard.

You have a certain number of spell slots and item slots. The spells have some great pixel art animations.

Cons are the bad guys are pretty repetitive across the stages so it's not for everyone.

I really liked it, but you're right that it got very repetitive.  Played it for a couple weeks and didn't pick i up again.  Think it was only like $5 though, so well worth it.  I feel like Dead Cells has a lot of similar concepts, but just does everything a little bit better.

On 11/1/2020 at 10:15 AM, Luzifer's right hand said:

I played the VR Batman game and the story is not bad but it has less content than the Rick and Morty VR game and I finished that one in 2 hours. 

Yeah, that game is really just an extended demo.  I felt better about dropping $20 on it when I thought of it as more of a movie.

I finished Disco Elysium over the weekend. It really is a great game- probably one of the best RPGs I've played in a while. I got pretty invested in the main plot and the world itself, though it did suffer from RPG over-exposition at times (and my Encyclopedia skill was as low as it could be!). The ending was slightly disappointing:

Spoiler

The resolution to the murder mystery was completely unsatisfying, since it's a character who you've never met before and have no way of knowing about. I get that this is a postmodern murder mystery, but still.. after all the interesting interplay between Klaasje, Ruby, the Hardie boys, the mercenaries, etc... this was not a great way to end things.

I did love the surrealist fantasy stuff at the end though, which fit very well for my character, who was all in on Inland Empire, Shivers, and other psychic skills and viewed himself as a paranormal detective.

I'm looking forward to another playthrough at some point soon. I think it's pretty clear that this isn't an RPG with different endings, really, but I do think that the game could be really interesting to explore again with completely different skills and role-playing.

There it is.  Get ready for Miranda’s ass in HD.

Some rumors out there of a new game in the Mass Effect world from a “veteran team.”  Have not seen any word on if it’s A2 or a step back to the Milky Way.

Archived