Videogames - Meanwhile in Poland.

Red Tiger

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So my local Target had a sign earlier this week that PS5/XboxSX would only be available via pick-up and would not be on the shelves.  So I asked the dude in electronics about it and he said he really wasn't certain but that the local inventory would go up online at some point and then buyers could come pick it up.  He said to try being online at 12.

So I'm up last night and I try.  No luck.

This morning, I see some comments online that Target made the PS5 available to order for store pick up at 1:30 AM.  WTF????

You paying the extra scratch for the right to put discs in it? I gotta say, it's really considerate of Sony to even offer such an option.

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

You paying the extra scratch for the right to put discs in it? I gotta say, it's really considerate of Sony to even offer such an option.

I am old an old and curmudgeonly 42 years of age... of course I'll get the one with the disc drive!  :tantrum: 

(Seriously though, my son is 10 and is already hogging the PS4 for things like Fortnite and NBA 2K.  I fully expect during this console lifespan to be purchasing a second machine.  I will get him one with just the disc drive eventually.)

58 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Hmmm, Elite Dangerous will be free on Epic Store, 1 week from now. As if I hadn't enough games in my backlog. But I've wanted to play it for so long. I'm doomed. I really need several weeks of lockdown and complete stop of all non-essential economy (or basically special vacations paid by the government), right now :D

To be fair, you'll get bored of Elite: Dangerous really fast. XD Happened to me as well. My poor ship is still stranded in the middle of nowhere.

My backlog is extreme as well, but unfortunately I know even if it goes back to lockdown, I still have to do all the homeschooling, meaning I don't gain any time whatsoever. <_<

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I am old an old and curmudgeonly 42 years of age... of course I'll get the one with the disc drive!  :tantrum: 

(Seriously though, my son is 10 and is already hogging the PS4 for things like Fortnite and NBA 2K.  I fully expect during this console lifespan to be purchasing a second machine.  I will get him one with just the disc drive eventually.)

This is the difference between us writ in 4.5 sentences. I'll die before I pay extra for my birthright; a laser disc reading device in every console!

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

This is the difference between us writ in 4.5 sentences. I'll die before I pay extra for my birthright; a laser disc reading device in every console!

Don't die Jace.  I'll send you one of those gigantic laser disc things from the early 90's or something....

1 hour ago, Toth said:

To be fair, you'll get bored of Elite: Dangerous really fast. XD Happened to me as well. My poor ship is still stranded in the middle of nowhere.

My backlog is extreme as well, but unfortunately I know even if it goes back to lockdown, I still have to do all the homeschooling, meaning I don't gain any time whatsoever. <_<

Yeah. I tried Elite again recently and I just couldn't stick with it. It seems like the coolest space sim ever for the first five hours or so. And then you realize just how little there is to do and how copy-pasted everything is (at least all the settled space; if you grind enough to be able to explore maybe there's some neat visuals to see. Though not much gameplay).

The Demon's Souls Remake is great.  It plays the same way (except faster and with better dodging) with amazing graphics.  All remakes should do this.  Haven't tried Miles Morales yet, Valhalla is ok a little bit in too.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

The Demon's Souls Remake is great.  It plays the same way (except faster and with better dodging) with amazing graphics.  All remakes should do this.  Haven't tried Miles Morales yet, Valhalla is ok a little bit in too.

How did you manage to get one?

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

I'm sure that's very scary to be in the middle of.  Sounds like the situation is stable as of when I read the article.  Hope everyone is okay.

Watch_Dogs 2 was a bit too GTA-ish for way too long, but becomes absolutely brilliant when you unlock the "call police" and "call hitmen" options, which removes the need to do any of the shitty combat or use the shitty stealth system to get past enemies. Just stand a couple of blocks away with your drone tagging people to be arrested by SWAT teams or taken out by rival gangmembers and just waltz in once the carnage is over.

Although this does break the game logic at times. I used it when I was hacking a satellite (!) inside a NASA clean-room and called the cops in to arrest a couple of the heavy security guards and they resisted and suddenly the place turned into a frenzied warzone with security guards and cops blowing one another away. I would have felt a bit bad about that if the game hadn't gone to some lengths to say that every single security contractor and cop in the game is corrupt and evil so you don't have to feel any qualms about murdering them (or manipulating thing so they get murdered). Ah, Ubisoft.

I'm sure that's very scary to be in the middle of.  Sounds like the situation is stable as of when I read the article.  Hope everyone is okay.

Sounds like it was a hoax, which is annoying but also preferable to it being a real incident.

Weirdly that news broke just as I was standing outside Ubisoft's San Francisco headquarters in-game in Watch_Dogs 2 (which, in what now seems like a Bad Idea, is actually at the correct address as the real-life Ubisoft CA and looks identical).

19 hours ago, Rhom said:

How did you manage to get one?

Lucky enough to try the website at exactly the right time I guess on thurs. Got one from bestbuy of all places. Should probably buy a lottery ticket.

I'm not a fan of the UI at this point. I was a big fan of the simplicity of the ps4 and this one they mucked up with more stuff. If I was interested in some of the stuff I might like it more but like I have no need to have video walkthroughs of levels I'm on show up. Probably a way to turn it off but I haven't really looked into it. There was a really annoying feature where computer voice read out whatever I was hovering over ad nauseum. Figured how to shut that off though.

Load times are glorious though. Its almost like playing a cartridge system like snes or n64.

Okay, I don't know whether I'm stupid or not. I abandoned my Total War: Troy playthrough... because I managed to get Total War Warhammer II for cheap. And... to be honest, using the abysmally long loading for workouts is actually doing a favor to my health! XD

Anyway, I started with the Bretonnian campaign as Repanse de Lyonesse. I'm not at all familiar with Warhammer Fantasy lore, but I found the premise of that campaign extremely amusing. So you are playing a Jeanne d'Arc expy from a people of Monty Pythonesque Arthurian knights "ALWAYS QUESTING, ALL THE TIME!". Having grown up as one of the comically oppressed peasants she is supposed to have slightly more common sense than her fellow knights, but apparently not that much in effect. But due to the jealousy of her colleagues she has been sent to a suicidal crusade into the country of the undead Tomb Kings. The Tomb Kings meanwhile might be undead mummies, but they became like this thanks to a botched magical ritual by some ludicrously homicidal villain who wanted to subdue them. Therefore they woke up one day undead, but still retaining their personalities and free will and then... well, just,.. kinda had to go on with their lives like before.

So... there are these completely harmless mummies who don't bother anyone and just want to be left alone and then come these completely out of place knights charging in screaming at the top of their lungs "Die, you foul fiends!". I'm imagining this whole thing to look like that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail where Lancelot massacred the wedding reception, just with the guests being rotting undead.

In any case... this went rather well, until it suddenly didn't. As usual with my playthroughs I focused entirely on building up a decent economy and ignoring everything else. I only used Repanse with a full army to go around do my main quests and clobber vampires and mummies. I struck an alliance with the dwarves and the Empire early on, but both got reduced to a single province due to Skaven and Lizardmen invasions respectively. I was then caught unaware by a main quest mission where you had to charge across the map and save three dwarf armies from annihilation and failed because I couldn't save one. That's the part where I regrouped and started to build better stables to come again with a full-cavalry army for this stupid quest. But until that army was built I went and tried to mop up the Tomb Kings who by now are reduced to just one faction: Khemri. The faction of Settra the Imperishable, their leader.

I bit more than I could chew. Crap.

I took a black pyramid and then the capital of Khemri itself. The latter was an atrocious battle. My besieging army was suddenly attacked by three enemy armies which boasted a stupid amount of giant monsters who hammered my lines. And who kept coming even after I managed to snipe all enemy generals. In the end my army routed with two battalions of knights having been killed to the last man. And yet... In an utterly silly scene that proved how ludicrously overpowered heroes are, Repanse found herself to be the last one standing behind enemy lines as she was too busy murdering chariots to notice that her army was gone. And then she proceeded to single-handedly murder all remaining enemies, leaving Khemri unprotected and me to take it. Sheesh. My losses were so enormous I thought it best to barricade myself in the city and wait for my forces to replenish.

... and then a severely pissed Settra marched up to me with just another monster heavy army and ludicrously experienced guard units. Oh shit... I guess I have no choice but to wait this out and hope I can arrive in time with some reinforcements. At least I have a whole lot of archers left, so if Settra intends to storm the walls of Khemri, I will make him bleed. Metaphorically speaking of course.

The Repanse campaign is actually quite fun, I do really enjoy the Bretonnians even if their roster is pretty limited and underwhelming. Their gameplay is the same too.. just wedge up the middle with chaf and then run round the sides with your cav. Rinse and repeat. 

I know what you mean about load times though, I usually have a book or multitask between turns!

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Their gameplay is the same too.. just wedge up the middle with chaf and then run round the sides with your cav. Rinse and repeat. 

Yeah, I noticed that, too. There isn't much variety in my roster, which in turn forces me to focus on my strengths and get the job done with whatever I have. Of course this means large monsters are severe trouble since my heroes are as far as I can tell the only ones who can take them.

Case in point, before writing my post I actually tried a sortie and Repanse actually succeeded in killing Settras Warsphinx which actually generates half of his army's threat... unfortunately I lost almost my entire army in doing so, meaning Khemri would have fallen the next turn, so I decided to get back to my last save and sit the siege out. Maybe Settra will attack anyway, the autobattle screen is massively in his favour, but then I have at least some city walls between myself and the spooky skeletons. And maybe I can manage to hold out until Henri le Massif respawns as he was killed alongside my army when I took Khemri and he got some hefty anti-monster bonuses.

I also completely forgot that the dwarves double fucked me over by suicidally attacking the Lizardmen, whose empire in the south is even larger than Settra's remaining Tomb Kings. And of course they dragged me into it, because I couldn't leave one of my only remaining allies... but hey, maybe the dwarves even have a chance to handle this on their own. I watched the beleaguered elves actually succeeding in taking down two lizard armies recently.

As expected my XCOM 2 ironman run ended in defeat. I nearly lost a retaliation mission and my entire squad was injured. On the next mission I was surprised by the powers of the psionic chosen and got wiped (I hate the psi transmitter missions) and things spiraled out of control after that as all decent soldiers were in the infirmary(I got one or two injured soldiers during most missions even before that). I had a number of Squaddies left but that was not enough.

It was fun and I will try again although I think I will use the option that doubles the number of turns in timed missions from now on.

Archived