Videogames - Meanwhile in Poland.

Red Tiger

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I gave up on my Repanse campaign, as it was getting a bit boring. I never liked the Bretonnian end game - get the chivalry points and do a battle. They need to make the Errantry War into some kind of period crusades, maybe like the Greenskin Waagh!

I also prefer Mortal Empires over Eye of the Vortex. And so I started a ME campaign with... Khemri, because of course. The Tomb Kings have such a different gameplay than most other races. Challenging in different ways, easier in others.

Yeah, I really enjoy Tomb Kings. You can't really doomstack with it due to unit limits. Almost get forced to do flavour army when you think about the tech tree lord traits and banners/followers. So you can still get super powerful armies but they all play very differently!

My next Tomb King playthrough might be Settra with a Chariot stack (range version) and see how it fares. He buffs em alot, but end game might not be great. It's a bit annoying how weak Tomb King chariots are, compared to some of the high elf/norsca/beastmen ones, considering Tomb Kings should be THE chariot race :(. Then again, their lords on chariots are quite powerful, so maybe it was a balance thing.

I never played Empire before. Maybe I will try that next. I feel like I will hate Cav micro before my Bretonnia campaign is done and wouldn't want to deal with shitty chariot spam lol

The last 4 pages have been dominated by the Total War discussion, so I think it's probably a good moment to take that discussion into a separate thread (or resurrect the last Total War-specific thread, if it hasn't been archived).

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

The last 4 pages have been dominated by the Total War discussion, so I think it's probably a good moment to take that discussion into a separate thread (or resurrect the last Total War-specific thread, if it hasn't been archived).

I don't see why. Just ignore the posts if they don't interest you.

8 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Been playing Hades non stop. Probably my favourite Supergiant game till date and one of the best games I've played in the last couple of years... For fans of rogue like dungeon crawlers, RPGs, Greek mythology it's a must...

It's amazing how this studio consistently outdoes its previously acclaimed titles with every new release... The characters, music, art work is fantastic in true Supergiant fashion. Highly recommended guys. 

Yeah I really love Hades. I mentioned it earlier but I love this game enough to continue mentioning it. This game really deserves all the acclaim it gets and more, and will almost certainly be my game of the year overhyped Cyberpunks be damned.

I also want to give Supergiant some props for managing a fair bit of representation on a relatively small cast - I know the ancient Greek pantheon does some of the heavy lifting on that front, but Supergiant definitely leaned in and the game's the better for it.

Edit: didn't see the next page when I was replying to Ser Rodrigo:

For once I actually agree with HoI, it seems kinda unnecessary, and what's the point of a videogames thread if not to avoid having dozens of barely used/viewed threads each dedicated to a single game cluttering up the place? Also as someone who would probably not read a dedicated Total War thread I've actually found the narrative of these campaigns to be pretty interesting to follow.

9 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Been playing Hades non stop. Probably my favourite Supergiant game till date and one of the best games I've played in the last couple of years... For fans of rogue like dungeon crawlers, RPGs, Greek mythology it's a must... 

It's amazing how this studio consistently outdoes its previously acclaimed titles with every new release... The characters, music, art work is fantastic in true Supergiant fashion. Highly recommended guys. 

I loved Hades.  Just a great mix of rogue-lite and bullet hell and dialogue.  I haven't decided if it's my game of the year yet or if it's Monster Train (another roguelite deckbuilder, similar kind of to Slay the Spire but IMO better).  Still for me having at least two amazing games out that I truly enjoy is a rarity.

2 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Yeah, I really enjoy Tomb Kings. You can't really doomstack with it due to unit limits. Almost get forced to do flavour army when you think about the tech tree lord traits and banners/followers. So you can still get super powerful armies but they all play very differently!

My next Tomb King playthrough might be Settra with a Chariot stack (range version) and see how it fares. He buffs em alot, but end game might not be great. It's a bit annoying how weak Tomb King chariots are, compared to some of the high elf/norsca/beastmen ones, considering Tomb Kings should be THE chariot race :(. Then again, their lords on chariots are quite powerful, so maybe it was a balance thing.

I never played Empire before. Maybe I will try that next. I feel like I will hate Cav micro before my Bretonnia campaign is done and wouldn't want to deal with shitty chariot spam lol

I say wait on the Empire until the new update comes. The Empire is versatile, and I'm a bit shocked you haven't tried them yet, but one of the main things about playing the Empire has always been dealing with the Chaos invasion. Except it's a joke. However, with the new update they are adding a new option - besides the regular difficulty options, one for campaign, one for battles, there will be another for the Chaos invasion. You can completely turn it off, or decide how difficult you want it to be, which basically means how many Chaos armies appear in each wave. 

2 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

One fun thing I tried to do with one of my Empire playthroughs was to play a 'pike and shot' gunpowder army build. Basically even numbers of handgunners and halberds, in a checkerboard formation, you can bring any unit that uses gunpowder, so pistolers etc, artillery. It was really fun and actually almost sort of works. I also try and ban magic but that makes life quite difficult.

I'm about 35 hours in to AC: Valhalla now. There maybe appears to be the glimmers of the main story starting to appear; up until now its just been a series of mostly unconnected 5-ish hour stories. My understanding is that this style of "sagas" continues the whole game; but I'm hoping they start to get at least a little more connected as things go on. It's a little hard to stay invested when there's basically no connective tissue through the game except the main character, and the cast of characters keeps changing.

I'm also worried that the "main story" may be severely under-baked. Overall I've found the writing pretty good in the game. But I've just gone through a series of cutscenes that involved other characters from your clan who were involved in the lengthy prologue (which is why I think it's main story-related) and it seemed like the game skipped a couple steps in everyone's character motivations and relationships to each other. It was all a bit jarring.

2 hours ago, Poobah said:

For once I actually agree with HoI, it seems kinda unnecessary, and what's the point of a videogames thread if not to avoid having dozens of barely used/viewed threads each dedicated to a single game cluttering up the place? Also as someone who would probably not read a dedicated Total War thread I've actually found the narrative of these campaigns to be pretty interesting to follow.

With all of the general threads - What Are We Watching, What Are Reading, Videogames etc - there's a general idea that people will be discussing lots of different topics/titles that don't warrant their own thread. If a single topic/game/book/TV show that takes over the discussion altogether for pages on end so that other discussions get swamped, that's a sign it is popular enough to be spun out into its own thread. We've had Total War-specific threads before that were so popular they ran to multiple instalments (the Rome II threads back when the game came out was particularly popular for discussion, if not entirely for the reasons the developers might wish), because it's one of the board's perennial favourite franchises.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I say wait on the Empire until the new update comes. The Empire is versatile, and I'm a bit shocked you haven't tried them yet, but one of the main things about playing the Empire has always been dealing with the Chaos invasion. Except it's a joke. However, with the new update they are adding a new option - besides the regular difficulty options, one for campaign, one for battles, there will be another for the Chaos invasion. You can completely turn it off, or decide how difficult you want it to be, which basically means how many Chaos armies appear in each wave. 

I haven't played since late August but the Empire then was all about dealing with the Vampire Counts as CA buffed the cheats they got in the Paunch DLC.  I assume it still is but it was regular for at least 1 of the elector fiefdoms to be destroyed prior to turn 10, usually 2 even on normal  campaign difficulty which severely fucks with your economy and PO.  And on top of that they have the seemingly hardcoded greenskins that go after you (which one depends on which Empire spot you are playing out of) 100% of the time and ignore everyone else.  The chaos invasion is a joke but by the point it comes you are either a super power or are almost dead already.  It is probably jokier for them than say the High elves, as for the High Elves the invasion doesn't come from the same spot every single time.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm about 35 hours in to AC: Valhalla now. There maybe appears to be the glimmers of the main story starting to appear; up until now its just been a series of mostly unconnected 5-ish hour stories. My understanding is that this style of "sagas" continues the whole game; but I'm hoping they start to get at least a little more connected as things go on. It's a little hard to stay invested when there's basically no connective tissue through the game except the main character, and the cast of characters keeps changing.

I'm also worried that the "main story" may be severely under-baked. Overall I've found the writing pretty good in the game. But I've just gone through a series of cutscenes that involved other characters from your clan who were involved in the lengthy prologue (which is why I think it's main story-related) and it seemed like the game skipped a couple steps in everyone's character motivations and relationships to each other. It was all a bit jarring.

I assume and hope it has something to do with the betrayal you are supposed to do to Sigurd?  They introduced that and sort of implied that Sigurd would go bad and you turn good but at least where I'm at; Sigurd seems like a cool dude and we are going to betray him to get more power.  Which honestly would be a neat twist to make you the "bad guy". Or I guess it could be anything in the present time but that stuff is laughably bad.  I'm not even sure why they still do that crap.

15 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Hide contents

I assume and hope it has something to do with the betrayal you are supposed to do to Sigurd?  They introduced that and sort of implied that Sigurd would go bad and you turn good but at least where I'm at; Sigurd seems like a cool dude and we are going to betray him to get more power.  Which honestly would be a neat twist to make you the "bad guy". Or I guess it could be anything in the present time but that stuff is laughably bad.  I'm not even sure why they still do that crap.

Spoilers for 25ish hours and then 30ish hours into the game; nothing too major I think.

Spoiler

Not sure where you are in the game, but for me so far I've seen three possible options so far for how that betrayal plays out. And maybe all three end up happening.

1. You can get into a romantic relationship with his wife. I don't know how it plays out fully yet, but unlike every other "relationship" so far that I've seen, this one seems like much more than a one-and-done thing.

2. In the 4th England saga (or 5th, depending on your order), Sigurd and Basim show up in a big way again; obsessed with finding a stone (which I assume is an Isu relic, but I haven't seen it yet) to the detriment of everything else. They act very strangely, keeping you out of the loop, and you get into a bunch of arguments with them. It was all very strange since the last time before then you're with them everyone parts on the best of terms. It made me feel like I missed a bunch of stuff. (Likewise, there's been a few times Dag has spoken up, after going many hours of being a slight part of my crew; and the way he talks makes it seem like I've missed a bunch of scenes somewhere). And I wonder if Sigurd will go fully bad somehow there.

3. I've only finished the 1st of the vision sagas (and I don't know how many there are). But I've been very curious about which characters there share voice actors with the viking characters. I'm wondering if you end up betraying the character with Sigurd's voice actor there, and if there is some tangible connection between those sagas and the regular ones.

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

With all of the general threads - What Are We Watching, What Are Reading, Videogames etc - there's a general idea that people will be discussing lots of different topics/titles that don't warrant their own thread. If a single topic/game/book/TV show that takes over the discussion altogether for pages on end so that other discussions get swamped, that's a sign it is popular enough to be spun out into its own thread. We've had Total War-specific threads before that were so popular they ran to multiple instalments (the Rome II threads back when the game came out was particularly popular for discussion, if not entirely for the reasons the developers might wish), because it's one of the board's perennial favourite franchises.

There have also been countless video game threads where Total War hasn't even been mentioned. Theres what, 4 pages where a few people are talking about it? Not sure what the problem is other than its a game you just aren't interested in. Let people have their fun. 

21 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I haven't played since late August but the Empire then was all about dealing with the Vampire Counts as CA buffed the cheats they got in the Paunch DLC.  I assume it still is but it was regular for at least 1 of the elector fiefdoms to be destroyed prior to turn 10, usually 2 even on normal  campaign difficulty which severely fucks with your economy and PO.  And on top of that they have the seemingly hardcoded greenskins that go after you (which one depends on which Empire spot you are playing out of) 100% of the time and ignore everyone else.  The chaos invasion is a joke but by the point it comes you are either a super power or are almost dead already.  It is probably jokier for them than say the High elves, as for the High Elves the invasion doesn't come from the same spot every single time.

Hopefully this will fix the Chaos invasion and make it scary like it was the first time I played Warhammer 1. Right now the VC just seem to gobble up most of the empire in every playthrough, which I find far more challenging than chaos.

Last night I hit 100 wins in Hades! I still feel like there's so much more room for me to grow and explore as a player, I've been on quite the win streak lately, rotating through the weapons and pushing the heat gauge up, and it's really been challenging me to try and hold on to it in some runs that haven't synergised well; there's a lot more learning and experimentation to do to really understand how to make the best decisions for my runs and how to utilise some of the boons I don't take too often. Also it's only around now that I'm really feeling like a lot of the npcs have run out of unique things to say to me - that's a hell of a lot of content.

https://i.imgur.com/mPKTvDk.jpg

Paralyzed by choice in the number of games I have on Steam that I haven't played yet, I've decided to... replay the Dragon Age trilogy, starting with Origins. My crime syndicate dwarf commoner just got out of Ostagar (RIP stupid king) and is ready to take down some Darkspawn and usurpers. Let's do this!

1 hour ago, Poobah said:

Last night I hit 100 wins in Hades! I still feel like there's so much more room for me to grow and explore as a player, I've been on quite the win streak lately, rotating through the weapons and pushing the heat gauge up, and it's really been challenging me to try and hold on to it in some runs that haven't synergised well; there's a lot more learning and experimentation to do to really understand how to make the best decisions for my runs and how to utilise some of the boons I don't take too often. Also it's only around now that I'm really feeling like a lot of the npcs have run out of unique things to say to me - that's a hell of a lot of content.

https://i.imgur.com/mPKTvDk.jpg

I'm honestly the point that I know all the fights etc that the only boon that really matters is if you can get the extra dashes from Hermes.  Otherwise pretty much everything works.  I've even done a build where I didn't attack Hades and he killed himself on my Revenge damage from boons.  Quite hilarious to just put the controller down on the final boss fight and still win.

29 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Paralyzed by choice in the number of games I have on Steam that I haven't played yet, I've decided to... replay the Dragon Age trilogy, starting with Origins. My crime syndicate dwarf commoner just got out of Ostagar (RIP stupid king) and is ready to take down some Darkspawn and usurpers. Let's do this!

Might need to do this too. Been forever since I last played DA:O. I skipped DA:2 after hearing how it was rushed. I did enjoy Inquisition - was a bit of a slog but I played while I was unemployed for a couple months, so it worked.

I just started Hyrule Warriors - I've played a terrible amount of Dynasty Warriors and Zelda (LttP, OoT, MM, and BotW) - really enjoying it. It may be a bit dumb - or I am - I don't totally get Impa's move set. Big fan of Link and Urbosa thus far though.

Polished off Cloudpunk which was very solid. Just the right length at under 10 hours. Interested to see what the expansion they're working on will add to the game (as well as the already-announced sky races).

I decided to press on with my playthrough of the Halo series. Polished off Reach earlier in the year so I decided to replay Halo 1 and yikes that was a bad idea. I'd somehow forgotten just how insanely awful the level design is, and how it repeats the same rooms again and again and again. The combat's aged pretty well but the structural design of the game is excruciating.

Have never played any of the other Halo games. Halo 2 next up after this.

2 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I think Steam was playing around with this idea that they would just pick an unplayed game at random for you to play from your list, maybe even install it anonymously so you wouldn't know what it was until you fired it up.

Archived