Videogames - Meanwhile in Poland.

Red Tiger

3 hours ago, Week said:

Might need to do this too. Been forever since I last played DA:O. I skipped DA:2 after hearing how it was rushed. I did enjoy Inquisition - was a bit of a slog but I played while I was unemployed for a couple months, so it worked.

I just started Hyrule Warriors - I've played a terrible amount of Dynasty Warriors and Zelda (LttP, OoT, MM, and BotW) - really enjoying it. It may be a bit dumb - or I am - I don't totally get Impa's move set. Big fan of Link and Urbosa thus far though.

If you do, definitely give DA2 a shot (though wait till it's on sale). I can't guarantee you'll like it. It's definitely rushed and its flaws are very easy to spot, but it has a great cast of characters and I love that it's really just about one person's life in one city over the course of ten years.

I'm still trying to decide if I should get Age of Calamity. Maybe I'll wait for a sale. For what it's worth, when I played the demo, I didn't understand Impa's moveset at all.

@Werthead I like that Steam idea. Though my hard drive has so little space I'm not sure it would work well for me. And speaking of more Steam games to buy... as soon as the Thanksgiving sale hits I'll be picking up Crusader Kings 3.

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Just finished Hades, defeating the final boss. Got a twinge of depression for the protagonist knowing he's doomed forever  to rinse and repeat :(

You beat him the once?  You aren't anywhere near finished lol

I feel like I'm missing something with Hades:

It took me forever to beat him once, and doing so was immensely gratifying. Then I beat him with all the weapons and some of the contract things on but I lost interest after maybe 8 victories. It's a fun game, I just can't imagine beating it 100 times. Most of the remaining upgrades seem to be cosmetic.  

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

I feel like I'm missing something with Hades:

Hide contents

It took me forever to beat him once, and doing so was immensely gratifying. Then I beat him with all the weapons and some of the contract things on but I lost interest after maybe 8 victories. It's a fun game, I just can't imagine beating it 100 times. Most of the remaining upgrades seem to be cosmetic.  

There's a bunch of story progression still to go both main story (the most notable of which occurs at 10 victories) but also tons of equally important interpersonal things with a arcs for pretty much every character in the house, as well as other things for various characters' relationships and their situations in the underworld. Also unlocking the different weapon aspects, particularly the hidden aspects, gives a variety of different play styles, which I'd definitely recommend you experiment with. If you're looking specifically for challenges to overcome the Extreme Measures and Forced Overtime pacts of punishment are the ones that bring the biggest changes in difficulty to the game without hobbling you in any way the way some of the others do, extreme measures in particular with the tougher boss fights.

That said if you're the kinda person for whom the rogue-ish gameplay loop doesn't really take hold then yeah I'd suggest maybe you just get a few more victories for story purposes and call it good. Spoilers below for the story if you're feeling done already or want to know what's ahead to judge if you want to bother:

Spoiler

After 10 wins Persephone will decide to return home and the family dynamic will change a fair bit, at this point you'll see the credits and the game could be considered won.
After this there's an epilogue with further main story progression.

I would beat the final boss of Hades ten times before calling it a day, since that's when you get the "ending" of the game.

Spoiler

I really wanted to progress some of the sidequests, but I did find the RNG aspects of it frustrating at a certain point. "You need to talk to Nyx to deal with Orpheus and Eurydice's situation; sorry, Nyx isn't here this time; next time she's in dialogue with another character; the time after that she wants to talk about something else." For me I think it makes sense to just take a break from the game and come back to it after a while to finish sidequests when the gameplay feels more fresh again, since the runs were starting to feel pretty repetitive after victory 15.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:04 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

Paralyzed by choice in the number of games I have on Steam that I haven't played yet, I've decided to... replay the Dragon Age trilogy, starting with Origins. My crime syndicate dwarf commoner just got out of Ostagar (RIP stupid king) and is ready to take down some Darkspawn and usurpers. Let's do this!

I've been meaning to replay Origins for most of this year.  Actually started a couple of times, but I always find myself giving up around the same point, around Redcliffe / the Circle Tower.  (I have the Skip the Fade mod installed, so that's not the problem.)  Would be nice to do though, since I've never actually played Awakening or any of the later DLC.

1 hour ago, Plessiez said:

I've been meaning to replay Origins for most of this year.  Actually started a couple of times, but I always find myself giving up around the same point, around Redcliffe / the Circle Tower.  (I have the Skip the Fade mod installed, so that's not the problem.)  Would be nice to do though, since I've never actually played Awakening or any of the later DLC.

For my money, Awakening is the best part of the entire Dragon Age saga (to date, anyway). Really enjoyed that expansion.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

For my money, Awakening is the best part of the entire Dragon Age saga (to date, anyway). Really enjoyed that expansion.

I'm not always able to agree with you, but in this I think you tell it true. It's like the main DA:O game, but not as bloated and miserable with the previously mentioned chore levels. I love, love, LOVE, DA:2 for what it attempted, but the actual game playing is really frustrating at times.

I liked Awakening a lot too.  Extremely good for an expansion pack. Ferret Baudoin was the lead writer on it - by coincidence, he worked on NWN2, which also had a castle as stronghold for the main character. He seemed to disappear for ages after that, but apparently left Bioware for Bethesda. 

Anyway, I remember Awakening being atmospheric and fun. Justice was my favourite of the companions; Anders was entertaining. I don't think I've replayed it since DA2 - I should go back at some point and see how Anders & Justice seem with prior knowledge of what happens. 

I think I still prefer Origins on the whole, simply because it's got the epic factor that an expansion pack can't really reproduce. As hard as BG:ToB tried. 

1 hour ago, Plessiez said:

I'm not proud of this, but I got a mod yesterday that basically activates god mode one hit kills. I turn it off when I'm interested in doing some combat, but it really helps to get me through the slog of some of the main quests, like the Circle Tower (and I definitely will be using it for the Deep Roads).

I only played Awakenings once, so I'm excited for it in this playthrough, because it should be pretty fresh- I have very few memories of it, aside from the writers for some reason deciding that the companion they really needed to bring over was... Oghren.

I'm thinking of doing a new PC build, though I'm looking to see how much cheaper it would really be to get the parts vs a full build.

Also looking at VR, as I would like to play Beat Saber, but I've no familiarity with VR. Any recommendations? Beat Saber looks fun, anyone try it?

19 hours ago, RumHam said:

Walmart is supposed to have more PS5's tomorrow at 9pm EST

Good luck with that, though, with all the bots. 

Saw that.

Wish they would put some sort of protections on that.  The things will sell out regardless of what they do... so why not require a captcha or if you have something in your shopping cart, its there for something like 30 minutes?  Would it really be that hard to guarantee a better customer experience?

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yup...

Refreshed several times only to get the Out of Stock notice at 9:01

Sorry to hear that man, I didn't even bother to try after last time. I want to play Demon Souls for the first time but I'll just wait. 

So normally I'm not into this fantasy business. However do have the first Total Warhammer game (vampires weren't fun, didn't like it) and the 2nd one is discounted on Steam with some factions that look more interesting. I'm considering buying it. But am I supposed to have the first game installed as well? I remember some talk of the campaign maps being conjoined when you played or something? I don't have the remotest idea how to google that word salad question and throw myself on your gentlemanly graces.

Archived