Videogames - Meanwhile in Poland.

Red Tiger

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Sorry to hear that man, I didn't even bother to try after last time. I want to play Demon Souls for the first time but I'll just wait. 

Yeah... GameStop is supposed to guarantee at least two PS5 per store for Black Friday.  

On the one hand:  We aren’t actually cooking and doing Thanksgiving until Sunday.

On the other hand: I’ve always made fun of the losers in line outside Best Buy instead of spending the holiday with family.

Of course; I’ve never had a ten year old who wanted a system on release before either.  He dropped the “I’ll ask Santa for it...” and when I told him that Sony doesn’t let elves make the PS5 he pulled out the nuclear option “If Santa doesnt bring it, I’ll know he’s not real and it’s just you and mom.”  :dunno:

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

So normally I'm not into this fantasy business. However do have the first Total Warhammer game (vampires weren't fun, didn't like it) and the 2nd one is discounted on Steam with some factions that look more interesting. I'm considering buying it. But am I supposed to have the first game installed as well? I remember some talk of the campaign maps being conjoined when you played or something? I don't have the remotest idea how to google that word salad question and throw myself on your gentlemanly graces.

No, owning the game is enough.

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

So normally I'm not into this fantasy business. However do have the first Total Warhammer game (vampires weren't fun, didn't like it) and the 2nd one is discounted on Steam with some factions that look more interesting. I'm considering buying it. But am I supposed to have the first game installed as well? I remember some talk of the campaign maps being conjoined when you played or something? I don't have the remotest idea how to google that word salad question and throw myself on your gentlemanly graces.

Definitely get it. You only need WH2 installed and as long as WH1 is on your library, it should be fine. The standard WH2 campaign is called Vortex while the conjoined map is Mortal Empires. Vortex is a bit boring after the first couple playthrough, but is generally a shorter campaign. Mortal Empires offer a lot more flexibility as you could go for the short victory condition, long victory condition or paint the map (takes a loooong time).

I think Skaven is the only race you shouldn't start with, as they start a bit weak and require unconventional tactics to succeed. If you don't mind the quirky tactics and sneaky-rat-bastard like thinking it requires succeed, they are an extremely powerful faction. Probably the most well developed faction once you take into account the DLC packs.

Good luck!

Fifteen years late to this party, but I have to say that Halo 2 is a very strong FPS and a massive improvement over the original game. Lots of well-designed areas, the more advanced weapons management systems are pretty good and the much more present story gives you a clearer idea of what's going on and why you're doing it.

Also, as a long-time fan of Keith David, he is exceptional as the Arbiter (not quite up there with him playing himself as Vice-President in Saint's Row, "having conquered acting", but nothing is).

Any recommendations on CPU's and GPU's? I see AMD Ryzen has overtaken Intel in quality this year, and maybe before, too, but I am much more familiar with Intel. On the GPU side, I've only ever used NVidia cards, so will probably stick with that, but there are quite a few options to choose from. I know the new RTX's are selling like hotcakes, but I'm probably only going to get the previous RTX or a GTX. I doubt I will go for a 4k monitor, something like 1440p should be sufficient.

I'm building a new machine for my sons 21st Bday, and we are going with AMD. Goal is to get a 5600. For gaming ryzen is where its at, especially for the cost. That you can pretty much mix and match motherboards and chipsets for it is really great. 

Haven't decided on gpu yet because January should see a whole line of new GeForce skus that we are going to wait on. Doesnt hardly matter as nothing is available. 

I got Titanfall 2 recently on Steam for around £8 and bloody hell I am glad I did. I vaguely remember it coming and and being well received, but bombing because it was released between COD and BF. I just played through single player mode and I’m really impressed. Sure the plot is generic and predictable as hell, but it has a surprising amount of heart and the gameplay is really innovative. It’s short, but really fun. So that’s my four-years-late review. We live in a truly unjust world if TF2 can bomb but COD and BF continue to make shitloads of money by doing the same thing every time. :( 

14 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Any recommendations on CPU's and GPU's? I see AMD Ryzen has overtaken Intel in quality this year, and maybe before, too, but I am much more familiar with Intel. On the GPU side, I've only ever used NVidia cards, so will probably stick with that, but there are quite a few options to choose from. I know the new RTX's are selling like hotcakes, but I'm probably only going to get the previous RTX or a GTX. I doubt I will go for a 4k monitor, something like 1440p should be sufficient.

I've seen a lot of people grumpily going with prebuilds, because Alienware and Cyberpower managed to secure nVidia cards for their stock and that's about the only place you can get 3070s through 3090s at the moment. If you want to hold off for six months the supply issues should ease.

I've had AMD before and they're fine. You'll probably never know the difference, and AMD do seem ahead of the game with that latest cycle.

nVidia aren't necessarily technologically superior at the moment for GPUs, but companies do seem to be optimising much more for nVidia first and Radeon second, so sticking with nVidia is not a bad idea.

If you're not going 4K, a 3070 should be more than sufficient at 1440p on all but the most demanding games with RTX (DLSS 2.0 should massively mitigate that though) switched on. A 3080 might give you a bit more future-proofing against demanding titles released two or three years down the line though. Being in the growth phase of the new consoles with each game testing the hardware more than the one before does put PC graphics card choice in a harder place at the moment.

I have concluded that I upgraded to a 2060 at completely the wrong moment (although for 1080p it should be absolutely fine for the next couple of years; I have no interest in 1440p and can't afford to seriously consider 4K).

So here's a pickle I'm not sure anyone can help out with: I'm looking to get a new entertainment/media center for my living room to hold my TV, old consoles, soundbar, and, crucially, my PC that is always hooked up to my TV. Right now I've just got an old TV stand with my consoles under it and my PC just sitting on the floor next to it.

I've been looking online, but haven't been able to find anything that has a space to fit the PC (and that is either open-sided or open-backed to prevent overheating). Has anyone had any luck buying something like this?

I literally just bought a prebuilt pc and was dithering over Intel vs AMD, I've always gone intel in the past. I did a bit of research which seemed to suggest that AMD will probably be the better option at my price range, though intel would maybe get some advantages from overclocking. But seeing as I will never really want to play anything more advanced than Total War and Crusader Kings I'm not especially worried about squeezing out top performances.

I'm almost done with the story in red dead redemption 2. Wow! I don't know what it is with Rockstar games but it takes months for them to click. I bought red dead a year ago. Dipped in and out for several months with very little progress. But in the last week I've been playing non stop and absolutely loved it. I'm not even in a rush to reach the end bevsuse I'm loving the extras like being a bounty hunter.

And i also helped my wife best Uncharted 3 on crushing difficulty on ps4. That was so hard. Seemed easier on ps3 four years ago.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I've had AMD before and they're fine. You'll probably never know the difference,

nVidia aren't necessarily technologically superior at the moment for GPUs, but companies do seem to be optimising much more for nVidia first and Radeon second, so sticking with nVidia is not a bad idea.

If you only have one point of reference, I highly doubt that you'll ever know any difference no matter what.

Anyway, I think that the same goes for the CPU with regards to optimisation. It probably isn't an issue if you play games from the big studios, but there are poorly optimised games out there. I don't know if this is still true now, but Intel had significantly better single core performance while AMD made up  (and exceeded) the difference with multicore. 

I only got a slight performance increase from upgrading to AMD from my six years old PC on a particular game while other games had massive gains. Its not a good feeling when your upgrade feels almost like a sidegrade. 

20 hours ago, Fez said:

So here's a pickle I'm not sure anyone can help out with: I'm looking to get a new entertainment/media center for my living room to hold my TV, old consoles, soundbar, and, crucially, my PC that is always hooked up to my TV. Right now I've just got an old TV stand with my consoles under it and my PC just sitting on the floor next to it.

I've been looking online, but haven't been able to find anything that has a space to fit the PC (and that is either open-sided or open-backed to prevent overheating). Has anyone had any luck buying something like this?

They seem to be moving away from having PC-friendly units (not they were ever commonplace) in favour of people having their PC elsewhere in the house and streaming to the TV (I use an old Steamlink piece of hardware, but most modern Smart TVs can access the Steamlink app instead), so I'm not sure there's a good solution.

Having open-sided or backed PCs to prevent overheating is also not a great solution, due to the dust issue (which will increase heating risks later on), unless you're willing to blast out the insides with compressed air every few days.

I suspect you might have to go something custom, and correspondingly more expensive.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

They seem to be moving away from having PC-friendly units (not they were ever commonplace) in favour of people having their PC elsewhere in the house and streaming to the TV (I use an old Steamlink piece of hardware, but most modern Smart TVs can access the Steamlink app instead), so I'm not sure there's a good solution.

Having open-sided or backed PCs to prevent overheating is also not a great solution, due to the dust issue (which will increase heating risks later on), unless you're willing to blast out the insides with compressed air every few days.

I suspect you might have to go something custom, and correspondingly more expensive.

Yeah, I'm worried I might need to go custom, and I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much.

I don't mean the PC is open though, I mean I need a space in the center that's open for the PC. I don't want to put it in a wood cabinet and get heat death. I need a center that either has a spot with no back or no sides where I can put a PC. There's plenty of centers with an open space like that, but its always way too small for a PC.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Yeah, I'm worried I might need to go custom, and I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much.

I don't mean the PC is open though, I mean I need a space in the center that's open for the PC. I don't want to put it in a wood cabinet and get heat death. I need a center that either has a spot with no back or no sides where I can put a PC. There's plenty of centers with an open space like that, but its always way too small for a PC.

Is a really long HDMI cable not an option?  Set the PC up somewhere else in the room and run the cable?

In my office here at work when I remodeled, I had a dual HDMI plate installed behind the wall mounted TV.  The two cables run through the ceiling and terminate in a plate underneath my desk.  I have a dock for a Switch console plugged into one and my old PS3 is actually using the other, but I could use my PC for it if I wanted to.

And as Wert mentioned, I have used the Steamlink downloaded onto my Samsung smart TV to play directly on the TV as well.

My PC is 6 years old, longest I’ve ever had the same one. Probably brcause I barely use it. I mainly use my ps4 for gaming (when I have the time), my phone for general browsing, and my laptop for writing.

I’d like a new one but with the ps5 coming out, a kid, and various house renovations needing done at some point, it’s not a luxury I can justify.

At this point, the only games I’d bother with on it are Star Wars Old Republic, The Secret World, and various Old rpg’s like Baldurs Gate, which should run on my laptop throuugh steam

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

My PC is 6 years old, longest I’ve ever had the same one. Probably brcause I barely use it. I mainly use my ps4 for gaming (when I have the time), my phone for general browsing, and my laptop for writing.

I’d like a new one but with the ps5 coming out, a kid, and various house renovations needing done at some point, it’s not a luxury I can justify.

At this point, the only games I’d bother with on it are Star Wars Old Republic, The Secret World, and various Old rpg’s like Baldurs Gate, which should run on my laptop throuugh steam

All those games are easily playable on an older laptop, so you should be fine. I'm in a few SWTOR groups on Facebook and there are guys playing that game on a toaster (not really, but ancient laptops and Microsoft Surface tablets, etc.). 

Archived