Videogames - Meanwhile in Poland.

Red Tiger

I was looking forwards to Empire of Sin, but it seems to have released in a slightly buggy state. Obviously a Paradox game, so it'll be patched a thousand times in the next three weeks.

Still tempted to get it, but I'd put it on hold until after CP77 at this point. Too close to that timesink to kick off another long-ish game.

2 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

This, as usual :D (which doesn't imply it won't be a good game once fixed, hopefully and very possibly will be)

It's also a John Romero game (and his wife and son, and a small team based in Galway, randomly), and I think the first since the 20th Century where the reviews seem to have finally managed to not mention Daikatana in the same breath :D

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I have been having a lot of fun on Assassins creed Valhalla but there’s so much to do I doubt I can finish the story before Cyberpunk comes out.  

I'm at the point where I just go to where the story wants me to go.  I'm still over levelled as all hell and all the other crap that is on the map is just that, crap.  It does nothing to enhance or detract from the game its just there.  The only extraneous thing to do are raids cause they are fun and any ones that you don't go to for the story are conveniently passed by if you sail towards story objectives.

The Xbox Series X Can Run...PS2 Games? (kotaku.com)

First I've heard of this Dev Mode, that's pretty cool. I need to read more about the limitations of what can be run on it. It'd be funny if you could install and use Playstaion Now on it. 

I still think I'm gonna get a PS5 if I can find one though, for Demon Souls and the other exclusives I've missed not having a Playstation since the second one.

I read the other day Walmart wasn't even enforcing a "1 console per address" rule. ugh. But whatever I've got a backlog no real rush. 

I'm getting psyched for the Twisted and the Twilight DLC for Total War Warhammer 2 coming out this week. The wife is away for the weekend, so I get 2 days to give it a long test drive. Most excited by the Wood Elf re-work which was badly needed. Still not sold on the zoats as an addition to the unit roster. Skaven expansion is great too, but that faction has had so much attention it probably didn't need another update right now. Beastmen needed it more, so I hope they are next on the list, including significant reworking of the hoard campaign mechanic.

29 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm getting psyched for the Twisted and the Twilight DLC for Total War Warhammer 2 coming out this week. The wife is away for the weekend, so I get 2 days to give it a long test drive. Most excited by the Wood Elf re-work which was badly needed. Still not sold on the zoats as an addition to the unit roster. Skaven expansion is great too, but that faction has had so much attention it probably didn't need another update right now. Beastmen needed it more, so I hope they are next on the list, including significant reworking of the hoard campaign mechanic.

CA said some time ago they wanted the four core races of WH 2 to have 6 lords, each. With this DLC, the Skaven will get to 6, leaving only the Dark Elves. I think there will be one more DLC before WH 3 is released, so that likely be the 6th lord for the Dark Elves + someone else, but I doubt it will come with a significant rework for any faction. The Beastmen are linked with Chaos, so more than likely they will be reworked along with the Warriors of Chaos in WH 3.

37 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

CA said some time ago they wanted the four core races of WH 2 to have 6 lords, each. With this DLC, the Skaven will get to 6, leaving only the Dark Elves. I think there will be one more DLC before WH 3 is released, so that likely be the 6th lord for the Dark Elves + someone else, but I doubt it will come with a significant rework for any faction. The Beastmen are linked with Chaos, so more than likely they will be reworked along with the Warriors of Chaos in WH 3.

I guess that makes sense re the Beastmen, since Chaos is also a hoard faction in campaign if you are going to overhaul that campaign mechanic then it should apply to both, and Nakai the Wanderer as well.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess that makes sense re the Beastmen, since Chaos is also a hoard faction in campaign if you are going to overhaul that campaign mechanic then it should apply to both, and Nakai the Wanderer as well.

They've also expanded the map slightly, in Mortal Empires. Not just the new forest locations, but they've crossed in the Dark Lands east of the World's Edge Mts. which had been the eastern end of the map. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

They've also expanded the map slightly, in Mortal Empires. Not just the new forest locations, but they've crossed in the Dark Lands east of the World's Edge Mts. which had been the eastern end of the map. 

Thar be where the Ogre's dwell right?

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Thar be where the Ogre's dwell right?

The Dark Lands are the domain of the Chaos Dwarfs, who are most famous for being dedicated to wearing the most elaborate hats in the Old World, They're also dwarfs that use magic, use greenskin slaves as soldiers in their armies and for that purpose created the black orcs because the regular ones were kind of useless.

The Ogre Kingdoms are to the east of the Dark Lands.

I'm also looking forward to giving the Wood Elves another go with the upcoming DLC. Should be fun.

The expansion does look great actually, I was initially underwhelmed but they've given Wood elves a much better flavour, so you can really play tall and jump around the map fixing forests. 

The skavens mutant lab looks like a lot of fun as well. It's one of these interesting innovations where you wish they would go and use that system for all the races and lords. Forging weapons as Wood Elves now looks antiquated, never mind how the dwarves and tomb kings do it. 

Oh and..

STOP TALKING ABOUT TOTAL WAR GUYS... IT'S BOOOOOORING!!

On 11/30/2020 at 6:03 PM, Werthead said:

I was looking forwards to Empire of Sin, but it seems to have released in a slightly buggy state. Obviously a Paradox game, so it'll be patched a thousand times in the next three weeks.

Still tempted to get it, but I'd put it on hold until after CP77 at this point. Too close to that timesink to kick off another long-ish game.

I have been watching a Streamer play it for the past couple of days, he sunk about 20ish hours into it and encounter no bugs.  There are a couple of UI things he felt were needed, but not deal breakers.  He also noted that there is a big difference between the press release and the actual release of the game. Difficulty for one got turned up a notch.

I bought it, so far, it has been fun, no bugs on my end.

3 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I have been watching a Streamer play it for the past couple of days, he sunk about 20ish hours into it and encounter no bugs.  There are a couple of UI things he felt were needed, but not deal breakers.  He also noted that there is a big difference between the press release and the actual release of the game. Difficulty for one got turned up a notch.

I bought it, so far, it has been fun, no bugs on my end.

Yeah, I've now seen a few more reviews but they do seem to be very varied. All agree there's a potentially great game there but the finished opinions seem to be all over the place. The biggest criticism is that a lot of the game's intricate systems can be completely ignored, and once you have taken over just one district, that generates enough cashflow for you to curb-stomp the next and then, without adjusting any of the goods or selling layers, you can just blast through to the end too easily. Basically that Total War thing of getting enough cities and income that all economic issues for the game evaporate, except that only really happens in the late game in Total War, not as early as it does in Empire of Sin.

Definitely doesn't seem to be worth £35 so far, especially as that's on sale and it's going back up to £45 in a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, I've now seen a few more reviews but they do seem to be very varied. All agree there's a potentially great game there but the finished opinions seem to be all over the place.

Definitely doesn't seem to be worth £35 so far, especially as that's on sale and it's going back up to £45 in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I am still not sure what are the bugs, because after a good 6 or so hours into the game, nary an issue.  There are things that could be tweaked, but, like nothing game breaking.

Cyberpunk 2077's photo mode (which has its own trailer) seems very impressive and shows the detail and the degree to which the 3rd-person model is present in the game, which isn't helping CDPR's argument that implementing a 3rd-person gameplay camera would be too hard. I suspect that is going to be something they add later on given the number of people complaining about it.

28 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Yeah, I am still not sure what are the bugs, because after a good 6 or so hours into the game, nary an issue.  There are things that could be tweaked, but, like nothing game breaking.

A few of the reviewers noted corrupted saves, which seems potentially annoying. Camera issues and clipping as well, but given that's something that seems to crop up in all XCOM-alikes, I'm not sure if that's something easily avoided.

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Cyberpunk 2077's photo mode (which has its own trailer) seems very impressive and shows the detail and the degree to which the 3rd-person model is present in the game, which isn't helping CDPR's argument that implementing a 3rd-person gameplay camera would be too hard. I suspect that is going to be something they add later on given the number of people complaining about it.

A few of the reviewers noted corrupted saves, which seems potentially annoying. Camera issues and clipping as well, but given that's something that seems to crop up in all XCOM-alikes, I'm not sure if that's something easily avoided.

The biggest thing I saw is that whips can pull you through a wall, but that is probably just how the did cover in the game.

Archived