Videogames - Meanwhile in Poland.

Red Tiger

Got the Amazing Cultivation Simulator, just looking through the tutorial stuff and beginner advice vids.

The idea seems to be building a sect that then allows one spiritual transcendence and/or apotheosis. Really liking the Chinese fantasy aspect, didn't even know that there's a fantasy genre - Xian - dedicated toward this idea of Cultivation.

55 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Got the Amazing Cultivation Simulator, just looking through the tutorial stuff and beginner advice vids.

The idea seems to be building a sect that then allows one spiritual transcendence and/or apotheosis. Really liking the Chinese fantasy aspect, didn't even know that there's a fantasy genre - Xian - dedicated toward this idea of Cultivation.

The little I saw felt like Rimworld, at least in the beginning.

I can feel myself lagging in AC: Valhalla. It's a decent game for sure, but I'm 40 hours in and all the sagas are just blending together and I think I'm at least 40 hours from the end. Likely more. I don't think I'll last all the way to CP2077's release.

Not helping matters, I picked up Dragon Age II for $5 on Steam (easier than digging out my 360) and started a new game of that to mess around for a bit. First time I've touched the game in 8 years. The graphics look worse than I remember (which is always the case), but damn is it fun to be in that world again. I really like those characters, so much more than Inquisition's, even though I like that game too. It's flaws are well known, but I really wish Bioware had gone more in that direction, of a very focused, more personal story, rather than what they have been up to in recent years.

Bananas.

Guy plays Microsoft Flight Simulator on a flight. He actually flies the flight he's flying in real life simultaneously on his laptop. The degree to which things match up - the game entering and leaving clouds at the same time as in RL, the length of the flight matching up almost exactly (he lands four minutes ahead of the actual plane) - is extremely impressive.

Noclip has an absolutely superb documentary on the making of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Fascinating stuff on the technology involved, particularly the dynamic cloud downloading tech which could be hugely important for future games, to remove the limitations of hard drive space. MS Flight Simulator's dynamic world takes up 25,000,000 GB of data which is obviously far beyond the capability of any home PC or console to store, but cloud storage and streaming makes it viable.

Noclip's coverage of Hades is also pretty good.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The heads of both Mass Effect and Dragon Age at BioWare have left. It's unclear if they went willingly or were pushed, but both of them going simultaneously seems unlikely. They've both been with the company for 20+ years (well, Hudson left for a bit but came back).

In other news the dessicated ears of a years-dead wildebeest have rotted into the wind. It remains to be seen what kind of effect this will have on the late wildebeest's impending releases.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Phoenix Point has arrived on Steam and it's 50% off. For those who've already played it, how is it?

When I first played it, it was solid but a bit janky. The strategic map layer was very good, better than the modern XCOMs, but the combat could be grindy. Vehicles and the ability to manually aim were really good though, and allowed you to mitigate RNG issues.

Since then there's been a bunch of DLC, updates and patches which have reportedly made it a much stronger game. I'm planning to get back to it after CP77.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:29 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Phoenix Point has arrived on Steam and it's 50% off. For those who've already played it, how is it?

If you like XCOM, definitely a buy. I really enjoyed the combat system. The classes can be a lot more varied than XCOM. Lot of similarities (your heavies, assaults, snipers, psychics, support etc) but the fact that you can dual class makes all the difference. Opens up really OP/fun combos. I also like the manual targeting system, which i think is wayyyy better than XCOM and its infurating 99% misses (still salty about my last few misses.....).

Combat can be quite a challenge. Not always in an interesting way as it was originally envisioned. The more you fight, the quicker the enemy evolves. So fighting is almost a disincentive since you can't power up as quickly as the enemy. So for a while there was a weird meta where you would avoid scavenging for supplies and avoid fighting ambushes to deny enemy power up opportunities. I believe they changed that evolution curve since then, but i haven't played that update and the dlcs.

I am definitely planning on getting it (i played on the xbox pass for pc).

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

The heads of both Mass Effect and Dragon Age at BioWare have left. It's unclear if they went willingly or were pushed, but both of them going simultaneously seems unlikely. They've both been with the company for 20+ years (well, Hudson left for a bit but came back).

Seems very unlikely they both independently decided to leave at the same time, yes, but perhaps possible they both decided to leave together (to work on some sort of joint project, maybe?).  Timing does seem pretty weird, whether they were pushed or not.

Not clear what this means for the "veteran team" supposedly working on the new Mass Effect, either (though if Hudson's not involved, maybe it will have a halfway satisfying ending...).

15 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

In other news the dessicated ears of a years-dead wildebeest have rotted into the wind. It remains to be seen what kind of effect this will have on the late wildebeest's impending releases.

I don't think that's quite right. It's more that Dr. Frankenstein has shooed a couple vultures away from the corpse of a years-dead wildebeest in the hopes that the corpse can still be brought back to life through mad science lightening.

Bioware's almost certainly not going to make a comeback. But it definitely wasn't going to make a comeback if the guys responsible for ME3's ending, ignoring Andromeda's rot, Anthem, and scrapping years of development of DA4 to make a live-services DA4 instead were still in charge.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Bioware's almost certainly not going to make a comeback. But it definitely wasn't going to make a comeback if the guys responsible for ME3's ending, ignoring Andromeda's rot, Anthem, and scrapping years of development of DA4 to make a live-services DA4 instead were still in charge.

You mean EA? They're the ones who mandated the scrapping of DA4.

The rest are down to a mixture of the BioWare team and EA, or BioWare trying to follow directives from EA, or being forced to use EA's hugely unsuitable engine.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

You mean EA? They're the ones who mandated the scrapping of DA4.

The rest are down to a mixture of the BioWare team and EA, or BioWare trying to follow directives from EA, or being forced to use EA's hugely unsuitable engine.

Nope. I blame Bioware. Even if they couldn't convince EA that they could hit revenue targets without going live-services; the fact that they weren't able to salvage almost anything they had done for over 2 years to be part of the new game speaks to just how awful the development processes are in that studio.

"Bioware magic", which is responsible for a lot of their problems, is utter trash and the result of bad studio management, not EA. The only part I truly blame EA for is the mandate to use the Frostbite engine.

Went back to Frostpunk to play the last expansion, On the Edge, and it's good fun, although a little contrived. You have to set up a new outpost city and negotiate a tricky relationship with New London. Which is fine, but "my" New London at the end of the base game was humming perfectly along, so the city in this game being low on supplies and constantly screwing you over is a bit weird, but for the sake of more Frostpunk fair enough.

So the new Zelda (Immortals: Fenyx Rising) is fun so far. World is a lot more busy than Hyrule but it's still beautiful, filled with puzzles and baddies. The narration by Zeus and Prometheus is equal parts funny and annoying. I got it for the PS4.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Do not buy Empire of Sin right now.

At this stage the game is unplayable.

Not that it's a bad game unplayable. It could be fun once fixed. But within 2-3 hours you will hit a game breaking bug and will have to start your campaign over. (Your characters shoot enemies, but the damage doesn't register, so you can't kill them and are unable to win battles. Or the black market breaks, so you can't buy/sell items. Thus crippling your economy. These are the bugs I've run into repeatedly very early on during multiple playthroughs)

Wait until they fix it a couple times.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Do not buy Empire of Sin right now.

At this stage the game is unplayable.

Not that it's a bad game unplayable. It could be fun once fixed. But within 2-3 hours you will hit a game breaking bug and will have to start your campaign over. (Your characters shoot enemies, but the damage doesn't register, so you can't kill them and are unable to win battles. Or the black market breaks, so you can't buy/sell items. Thus crippling your economy. These are the bugs I've run into repeatedly very early on during multiple playthroughs)

Wait until they fix it a couple times.

Weird, I am like 10 hours into it and no bugs so far.  I wonder if it is triggering a certain thing.

Archived