Expected deaths that are a damn sure certainty

TheLastWolf

Now some characters may or may not die, regardless of our personal biases (likes or dislikes). But there are other characters that are certainly going to get whacked. This thread will list most of them without prejudice, I hope. So let’s begin.

·         Those on Arya’s “wish”list. GRRM has told many times over the years that Tyrion and Arya are his favorite characters [Citation enclosed as link] and he even originally planned a love triangle with those two + Jon.  Eww. Fortunately good sense prevailed and gross incest was slashed. Anyway the point is that Arya will not die before aSoIaF ends for the aforementioned reason and also due to George promising Parris to not kill her off. So as long as Arya is going to live, those on her list cannot. It’s already near empty with Raff being the latest to kick the bucket. So adios and Valar Morghulis to Cersei, Dunsen, Ilyn Payne and Meryn Trant. Cersei will die at the hands of the Valonqar (let’s just not debate whether the hands are literal or if the valonqar is Jaime, Tyrion, Arya, Euron or Patchface for the millionth time please). The others, I don’t care how. Maybe a few who do can enlighten the rest on how they’re (probably) gonna die.

·         The Freys. I know how several members feel it’s unfair and unjust for an entire house to go extinct due to the crimes of…..a few? No. Only a few were innocent. You can tick them off in the fingers of a hand. Arya feels she has to add only the criminal Freys (that is, most of them) only after she learns their names. Similar to her wishlist, already a lot of Freys have been finished off by kinslaying Black Walder (and probably Big Walder too), war, disease, LSH+ BwB and other outlaws, Wyman Manderly and other innumerable factors. So only a few left. The innocent Freys will live, albeit not with the name of their house. Fair Walda will live as a Tully. Olyvar is probably the squire who is going to inherit Rosby.  Gatehouse Ami as a Darry or whoever she marries after  Lancel dumped her (Crakehall via Strongboar?). And so on the other few good or atleast okay-ish Freys will live and continue their bloodline, but not as Freys. My guess as to how those who’ll die will be at the Red Wedding 2.0 (poor Daven Lannister to some weasely Frey girl) courtesy Blackfish, Skaagosi under Rickon, LSH+BwB with the crannogmen to finish off escapees. This doesn’t mean House Frey will be declared extinct. One good Frey can probably be allowed to continue the house, if GRRM and those seeking vengeance feel merciful. My opinion is that it’s unlikely. Dead Freys listed in below archived older thread,

Next are the good ones. Perwyn may be next LotC, if they Freys don’t go extinct.

·         Boltons. Fat Walda and her son may survive to continue the bloodline of the Dreadfort…if Ramsay doesn’t finish them off first. In the unlikely possibility of her surviving, northern lords seeking vengeance for their dear Ned and his family must be feeling merciful. Roose and Ramsay are goners tho. Roose at his own son’s hand and Ramsay either fed to his own ‘girls’ like in the abomination or to the Skaagosi cannibals headed by a barbaric, bloodthirsty Rickon seeking vengeance. These are my guesses.

·         Tyrion. GRRM may face flak for allowing his fav characters to go scot free even tho they commit very bad crimes. He’ll sacrifice the Imp (his most fav) if that’s the case to allow the rest or most of the rest of his fav characters to live. Tyrion most probably will reconcile with Sansa after he learns Tysha is either dead or gone forever (Sailor’s Wife is Gerion’s and Lanna is their kid) and Sansa will reciprocate as she’s already learnt life isn’t a fairy tale and appearances aren’t their true nature’s mirror. Tyrion was the only one nice to her in KL when he could’ve shown all his bitterness (against whole KL due to their ingratitude to him even after all his sacrifices) towards her. Like Jaime’s redemption arc this one will end with a bittersweet end, maybe Sansa will bear his child after he dies. Jaime too will die, tho not a certainty. Just my hunch, gut feeling or intuition or whatever. Just not with Cersei like in the abomination. Maybe with Brienne.

·         fAegon/YG/Pisswater Prince/xxxxxxx Blackfyre – Cloth dragon (mummers’ dragon). Gonna be dragonfeed. Or Jon may kill him in a duel for Dany if GRRM decides to go Nicholas Sparks. I don’t support either shipping and it’s an official disclaimer.

·         JonCon. Unless WHO (Westeros Health Org) steps in, he’ll die of greyscale (before or after starting a winter pandemic/epidemic. And the Shivers is separate/different)

·         I think the Starks are all going to survive since A Dream of Spring was originally titled A Time for Wolves. Besides GRRM has already killed Ned, Cat and Robb and now feels content. All the other Starks are presumed dead so I think they’ll only come back resurgent, not die. This is not including Jon of course. If someone has to die, it will be irrational/unreasonable, bloodthirsty, wild, blacksheep (no, blackwolf shaggydog) Rickon who doesn’t have a POV. Besides I don’t see him improved after so long with a wild direwolf who influences him too much, a wildling and in an island full of several cannibal barbarians.

·         Stannis and his gang (i.e; Meli, Shireen, Selyse and that oaf Florent) He is the wrong AAR/TPWWP and Maester Aemon was right about the sword having only light, no warmth. Stannis is stubborn. He’ll die before he gives up the throne (even if it’s to a rightful claimant like Dany or any of Rhaegar’s kids running around)  becoz he’s gone too far in his wrongly righteous (paradox alert. oh sry, too late) fanaticism. Shireen will die of greyscale as Val predicts…coz it’s the Far North. Beyond the Wall or close enough to make no difference. Southron diseases work differently there. Val’s right. Or maybe Stannis will pull off an abomination type burning of own girl and bag the dad of the century award before the disease can strike. Selyse and Axell Florent, I don’t care how. Just die. Meli….probably will die resurrecting Jon using Shireen or herself. I can’t see Shireen surviving the other two scenarios itself, so it will mostly be Meli herself. She may even think Jon is AAR due to Red Rahloo’s repeated sending of his images thru pinterest…sry, the fires and sacrifice herself (in vain for her belief, not for the Realm)

·         Dany if she continues to be a stupid wench and persists on the wrong side of the world

Can’t think of anymore as of now. Thoughts people?

Arianne Martell ("She burned as bright as any man and so shall I") will die, along with Prince Doran, and some at least of the Sand Snakes.  I expect that means fAegon and Jon Con will perish as well.  I believe the whole story of the Martells is of a family that is so hell bent on revenge that they're consumed by their own firestorm. 

I'm sure that Euron and Victarion will meet the Drowned God as some point.  Cersei, Tommen, Myrcella are unlikely to survive.  I think there's a good chance that Margaery dies when Arianne/fAegon/Jon Con carry out a purge of their enemies, after taking Kings Landing.

Most of the Freys will be wiped out, along with Roose and Ramsay.  We know Stannis will burn Shireen, and I doubt he will survive such a deed.

Of the big six, I think Daenerys is the likeliest to die.  She's spent most of the series being pursued by assassins, and sooner or later, one of them must get lucky - if she doesn't die first in the War for the Dawn.  Tyrion may or may not survive,  I don't think that being the author's favourite guarantees his safety.  If he compasses Daenerys' death (as per the show) I expect his motives will be base, like those of Richard III or Iago, and he will pay the price. 

Now for the Starks.  It seems like a cheat if every Stark survives.  Bran becomes king (or the equivalent) it seems.  Jon and Arya seem the least likely to survive.  We don't know what form Jon will come back in, but I don't think that life after resurrection is at all enviable.  Despite Martin's promise to Paris, I don't know if Arya will live either - there is the comment about her being found frozen with Needle.  I think she's at a watershed.  Her story may end up very dark.

Victarion will be killed by a dragon. Littlefinger (he will burn), Varys (same here), Illyrio (and here), fAegon (he will be killed by Robert Strong), Barristan Selmy and septa Lemore (this two will die with fAegon). Jojen (probably he is already dead). Stannis. Dany's current husbant. Green Grace (the Harpy). Cersei and Euron (they both will die and then burn together with King's Landing). Golden Company (they will be defeated by Euron's Ironborn).

How did Benfrey Frey make it to the list of "decent" Freys when his ass was killing left and right during the Red Wedding?

If LF dies without getting to see the faces of the people he lied to, manipulated, and so on, I'll be very disappointed. LF kicked off the Wot5K. His death shouldn't be a whimper. This guy's machinations destroyed the realm and killed countless people. I want a real, grandiose fucking trial. I'll be upset if he never came face to face with Tyrion and Catelyn again.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Now for the Starks.  It seems like a cheat if every Stark survives.  Bran becomes king (or the equivalent) it seems.  Jon and Arya seem the least likely to survive.  We don't know what form Jon will come back in, but I don't think that life after resurrection is at all enviable.  Despite Martin's promise to Paris, I don't know if Arya will live either - there is the comment about her being found frozen with Needle.  I think she's at a watershed.  Her story may end up very dark.

The context of which is in relation to her continued choice of hiding her identity/FM arc. Jon begins by telling her to go back to her room or else... the "sewing through winter, frozen with needle" etc. Arya ends that same chapter by returning to her room to find her mother & Septa waiting for her. 

Speaking of foreshadowing, blood oranges are often associated with death. In AGOT, Arya throws a blood orange that "hits [Sansa] in the middle of the forehead with a wet squish" before falling into her lap and staining her dress a "blotchy red". Sansa rips the dress off and goes to sleep and dreams of being reunited with her dead direwolf. Next time we see that dress, Sansa is wearing it but now it's dyed black the color of mourning. Ironic considering Arya has a valkyrie theme running through her story which literally makes her a "chooser of the slain".  

Back to Arya, this thread might be of some interest, carefully highlighting parallels between Arya chapters. This one stands out:

Memories and smiles:

Immediately after Arya thinks about blowing off the candle, this ensues:

Fear cuts deeper than swords, the quiet voice inside her whispered. Suddenly Arya remembered the crypts at Winterfell. They were a lot scarier than this place, she told herself. She'd been just a little girl the first time she saw them. Her brother Robb had taken them down, her and Sansa and baby Bran, who'd been no bigger than Rickon was now. They'd only had one candle between them, and Bran's eyes had gotten as big as saucers as he stared at the stone faces of the Kings of Winter, with their wolves at their feet and their iron swords across their laps.

We get a long and adorable memory of Arya playing with her siblings in the crypts, the one where Jon is covered with flour, and it concludes like that:  

The memory made Arya smile, and after that the darkness held no more terrors for her.

In The Blind Girl we witness this scene:

The dead men had their own smell too. One of her duties was to find them in the temple every morning, wherever they had chosen to lie down and close their eyes after drinking from the pool.

This morning she found two.

(…)

The second body was that of an old woman. She had gone to sleep upon a dreaming couch, in one of the hidden alcoves where special candles conjured visions of things loved and lost. A sweet death and a gentle one, the kindly man was fond of saying. Her fingers told her that the old woman had died with a smile on her face.

... Is Arya being compared with the old woman? Is Martin saying that in leaving the Red Keep Arya was symbolically dying? Or that Arya will only die when she is very old? I’m lost guys, but it does feel like these two passages resemble each other in an intentional way.

I envision Arya dying when she is very very old, a peaceful death at that. Seems like something GRRM would do, subverting the (so obvious) expectations of the people who read too much into the very death-heavy themes in Arya's story. 

40 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

How did Benfrey Frey make it to the list of "decent" Freys when his ass was killing left and right during the Red Wedding?

If LF dies without getting to see the faces of the people he lied to, manipulated, and so on, I'll be very disappointed. LF kicked off the Wot5K. His death shouldn't be a whimper. This guy's machinations destroyed the realm and killed countless people. I want a real, grandiose fucking trial. I'll be upset if he never came face to face with Tyrion and Catelyn again.

Having him killed by Lady Stoneheart would be perfect, which is why I'm convinced it won't happen. Characters motivated by revenge in GRRM's books are almost always undone by that desire for revenge, nor does their vengeance ever play out the way they hoped. Stoneheart, Oberyn, Tyrion, Arianne, Arya, they're all warped or even killed because of their refusal to let things go. The only major exception I can think of is Wyman Manderly; yes, he was very seriously injured, but it seems like he doesn't actually care if he lives or dies at Winterfell (given that his plan clearly worked and Wylis is safely entrenched in White Harbour, why shouldn't he let loose and go Bulworth?).

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Victarion will be killed by a dragon. Littlefinger (he will burn), Varys (same here), Illyrio (and here), fAegon (he will be killed by Robert Strong), Barristan Selmy and septa Lemore (this two will die with fAegon). Jojen (probably he is already dead). Stannis. Dany's current husbant. Green Grace (the Harpy). Cersei and Euron (they both will die and then burn together with King's Landing). Golden Company (they will be defeated by Euron's Ironborn).

lol, that would be funny. 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Arianne Martell ("She burned as bright as any man and so shall I") will die, along with Prince Doran, and some at least of the Sand Snakes.  I expect that means fAegon and Jon Con will perish as well.  I believe the whole story of the Martells is of a family that is so hell bent on revenge that they're consumed by their own firestorm. 

How the hell did I miss that one! 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

I'm sure that Euron and Victarion will meet the Drowned God as some point. 

:agree:

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Cersei, Tommen, Myrcella are unlikely to survive. 

Cersei, sure. Tommen is a sweet kid. Naive, but sweet. I do resent him a bit for his ignorance. Kids his age are a lot more mature and know life. Privileged plumpy. Myrcella is intelligent. Scarred yet beautiful. I don't want he to die, nor can think of any reason she must or will die. 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think there's a good chance that Margaery dies when Arianne/fAegon/Jon Con carry out a purge of their enemies, after taking Kings Landing.

Whoa whoa! Storm's End had just fallen (if we can trust TWoW preview ch). Margaery has a bigger role or do I feel. Good call anyway. She will die (average game of thrones player used up too much of her lives as a bride candidate) but when and how? Urs is a decent probability. 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Most of the Freys will be wiped out, along with Roose and Ramsay.  We know Stannis will burn Shireen, and I doubt he will survive such a deed.

Yep. But Stannis burning Shireen is not a certainty like in the abomination. Will Stannis go that far in his idealogical fanaticism? Maybe. 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Of the big six, I think Daenerys is the likeliest to die

To this I agree. But not at the hands of some assassin. Too cheap for her. 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Now for the Starks.  It seems like a cheat if every Stark survives. 

Ummm... not entirely. They are the decimated house. Underdogs. Only we readers and a negligible few know Starks are alive. Not including Jon of course. They have lost so much. Winterfell. Ned. Cat. Robb. So much bannermen and men at arms. Not just Robb's fault. Red Wedding was pure evil, no matter what slight caused it. And was a slight worth such a cruelty? No way 

If someone has to die, it will be irrational/unreasonable, bloodthirsty, wild, blacksheep (no, blackwolf shaggydog) Rickon who doesn’t have a POV. Besides I don’t see him improved after so long with a wild direwolf who influences him too much, a wildling and in an island full of several cannibal barbarians.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Bran becomes king (or the equivalent) it seems.

Or is wedded to a tree permanently 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Jon and Arya seem the least likely to survive. 

Okay.... 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

but I don't think that life after resurrection is at all enviable.

Don't just look at Gregor to Robert or LSH. They rotted for days. Jon just got clean stab wounds and may not even be dead. And ice preserves very nicely. Not like rotting naked in a river for three days or letting poison screw you from inside. Beric overused firemagic too. 7times. 

Spoiler

Beric: Fire consumes. It consumes, and when it is done there is nothing left. Nothing.

Thoros: Beric. Sweet friend. What are you saying?

Beric: Nothing I have not said before. Six times, Thoros? Six times is too many.

Spoiler

. or not." Aemon chuckled softly. "Or I am an old man, feverish and dying." He closed his white eyes wearily, then forced them open once again. "I should not have left the Wall. Lord Snow could not have known, but I should have seen it. Fire consumes, but cold preserves. The Wall . . . but it is too late to go running back. The Stranger waits outside my door and will not be denied. Steward, you have served me faithfully. Do this one last brave thing for me. Go down to the ships, Sam. Learn all you can about these dragons

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

Despite Martin's promise to Paris, I don't know if Arya will live either - there is the comment about her being found frozen with Needle.

Nah

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

think she's at a watershed.  Her story may end up very dark.

Toxic dump

Would be a much shorter list to say who will live at this point :) Some serious war time coming with many a casualty.  I can't say anyone that has been mentioned above won't die in the end, too much can and probably will happen.  Of the big 6, I see them all surviving except Danny. I think the entitled young lady will have so much force on her side that in the end there will be one last betrayal to undo it.

Most of the minor characters will die.  Of the major ones, the following will and should die:

1.  Jaime Lannister.  He's a man who can't change.  He's hitched his wagon to #2.  

2.   Cersei Lannister.

3.   Sansa Stark.  She's playing the game and she is very bad at it.

4.   Jon Snow.  Another dumbass who tried to play the game with the Bolton's and lost.

5.   Stan is Baratheon.  He is a false AA.

3 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Oh, my God!!! 

Thanks to you, I've just realised we will get trials (hopefully). Dude, I can't wait to see who's crimes will be actually publically revealed. I just can't wait.

Nothing is for certain; however, the deaths of Arya Stark, Stannis Baratheon, Cersei Lannister, and Jorah Mormont are close to certain.  They have no place in a new world.  Arya will murder her family's enemies and that will end her arc.  Stannis is one of the lies in the prophecy.  Cersei and Aegon will battle for KL and he will win easily.  Jorah will have to pay for his crimes back home.  He can stay in the east and live.  But he won't.  He will die back in Westeros.  

Well, I'd like to see the characters I like all live to fight the good fight.  But they won't.  My girl Cersei is a disaster with some divine timing.  She's in the right place at the right time more than not.  I'm not really hopeful she will survive.  Same goes for her children.  Aegon almost has to kill any children once he takes possession of the Red Keep.  How could he let any Lannister child live after what happened to him and Rhaenys and Elia?  Since Aegon is bound for glory he will have to die because he isn't Jon or Dany and therefore does not fit.  Had Tyrion stayed with him I would be more inclined to see some life after his horrible death but he is essentially meaningless.  Jon Connington will die by sword or stone.  The Martells in Dorne are more likely to die than Arianne.   I think she will be the Martell ace in the hole once Aegon's gone.    Randyll Tarly's a goner.   Much will be decided on the fate of the Tyrells and Hightowers during Euron's attack on Oldtown.   Seeing that Aeron has a room with a view I cannot imagine any way in which he survives.  Theon is too major a character to die until he can have his heroic death.   Harras Harlaw has zero hope of Lording over Grimm Castle for long.  House Frey will have to pay in spades.  So be it.   Sybell Westerling needs to pay for her treachery.  House Bolton will be a memory.  I don't think Rickon will make it.  Stannis will burn Shireen as clearly explained and he will surely pay for this as should Selyse.  Bowen Marsh's crew will likely find themselves headless for their actions.  That's all I've got at this point. 

Random selections:

Shireen

Now that the possibility of Shireen being burned has been raised, I think how dumb could I be, when I look at the misery that surrounds the way GRRM has detailed her - her dragon nightmares, her sadness, her greyscale marks, the fact that she is constantly accompanied by someone who appears to dead or who has gone to the realm of death and come out as something in between, and who makes cryptic utterances. I also think that in the elements of Nordic myth that are woven in, she represents Hel, the daughter of Loki who is banished to an underworld where she rules over the dead - just found this in wikipedia: "her appearance is described as half blue and half flesh-coloured and further as having a gloomy, downcast appearance"

Jaime - the only question is how and will it be heroic

Lady Stoneheart - there's no way this restless spirit will be wandering around at the end of the series.  I'm thinking she'll die as Beric did, reviving someone else, either Jaime or Brienne. I suppose a nice ending would be to revive one of her children, Arya or Sansa. Just thought of that.

Euron - he thinks he's a God and is planning to take on all the other Gods, marry Dany, and rule the universe. I think he's dead meat. If there are Gods, Euron won't scare them. If there aren't he's just making himself ridiculous!

Victarion - pretty dumb, a warrior and excess to plot need after the Battle of Meereen

bulk Freys - I am hoping that the nicer ones are spared ie the ones that were not involved in the Red Wedding because they were seen as too close to Robb. There are plenty of female heirs among the male heirs closest to the top of the list. I envisage marrying one of them to a lord from the winning side who would become the new Lord of the Crossing. 

Barristan - Battle of Meereen likely to end him

MIGHT SURVIVE

Cersei courts disaster so much I have always thought she might confound by surviving. Also, her main historical parallel, Elizabeth Woodville, retired to a religious life after he daughter married the victorious Henry VII.

Tyrion - I think he'll live and be in a position of power in Westeros, but miserable.

Gerion Lannister aka Inkpots

Tommen - well I think he's doomed but I live in hope.

WILL (Probably) SURVIVE

Jon

None of the "big 6" will die in the next book, although I wouldn't mind if Tyrion were to bite it. 

As to AryaI don't think Martin said he promised Parris not to kill her. What he did say is that Parris told him that if he kills Arya, she'd leave him. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

None of the "big 6" will die in the next book, although I wouldn't mind if Tyrion were to bite it. 

As to AryaI don't think Martin said he promised Parris not to kill her. What he did say is that Parris told him that if he kills Arya, she'd leave him. 

Has she left him? I don't see her mentioned as in isolation with him. But I doubt Arya would be the cause.

2 hours ago, Castellan said:

Random selections:

Shireen

Now that the possibility of Shireen being burned has been raised, I think how dumb could I be, when I look at the misery that surrounds the way GRRM has detailed her - her dragon nightmares, her sadness, her greyscale marks, the fact that she is constantly accompanied by someone who appears to dead or who has gone to the realm of death and come out as something in between, and who makes cryptic utterances. I also think that in the elements of Nordic myth that are woven in, she represents Hel, the daughter of Loki who is banished to an underworld where she rules over the dead - just found this in wikipedia: "her appearance is described as half blue and half flesh-coloured and further as having a gloomy, downcast appearance"

Jaime - the only question is how and will it be heroic

Lady Stoneheart - there's no way this restless spirit will be wandering around at the end of the series.  I'm thinking she'll die as Beric did, reviving someone else, either Jaime or Brienne. I suppose a nice ending would be to revive one of her children, Arya or Sansa. Just thought of that.

Euron - he thinks he's a God and is planning to take on all the other Gods, marry Dany, and rule the universe. I think he's dead meat. If there are Gods, Euron won't scare them. If there aren't he's just making himself ridiculous!

Victarion - pretty dumb, a warrior and excess to plot need after the Battle of Meereen

bulk Freys - I am hoping that the nicer ones are spared ie the ones that were not involved in the Red Wedding because they were seen as too close to Robb. There are plenty of female heirs among the male heirs closest to the top of the list. I envisage marrying one of them to a lord from the winning side who would become the new Lord of the Crossing. 

Barristan - Battle of Meereen likely to end him

MIGHT SURVIVE

Cersei courts disaster so much I have always thought she might confound by surviving. Also, her main historical parallel, Elizabeth Woodville, retired to a religious life after he daughter married the victorious Henry VII.

Tyrion - I think he'll live and be in a position of power in Westeros, but miserable.

Gerion Lannister aka Inkpots

Tommen - well I think he's doomed but I live in hope.

WILL (Probably) SURVIVE

Jon

I thought Cersei's historical counterpart was Margaret of Anjou. From the No Historical Figures Were Harmed page for A Song of Ice And Fire, the top entry for Cersei is:

Margaret of Anjou. A beautiful, ruthless and ambitious queen, whose fierce desire to rule the realm of England paved the way for disaster. She was wife to an ineffective king, her son was a cruel boy of questionable descent, and her tumultuous relationship with her husband's right hand man helped draw their Feuding Families into a bloody civil war (The War of the Five Kings/War of the Roses). She eventually becomes the leader of her respective faction, the Lancasters; although, Margaret actually commands her army and participates in battle at some point. After the death of her son and a devastating defeat, she is held in captivity and effectively declawed; although, Cersei actually has a way out of this predicament.

I have this really strong feeling that Edmure, his wife, and the Young Wolfs queen are all gonna end up dying in a rescue attempt by either the BWB or The Blackfish. Also I've never heard this Inkpots is Gerion Lannister theory. Is there a thread on it?

Archived