Expected deaths that are a damn sure certainty

TheLastWolf

Winter is nature's way of killing off people.  Only a few will survive.  We should be asking who survives and for how long.  I will list three of the most likely to live to see spring as old people.

Bran, Missandei, and Samwell

1. Bran is the green-seer.  We know his tree has the power to extend life.  It's not much of a life by our standards but he will be alive.  Bran can live part of his existence as a wolf.
  2. Missandei is the embodiment of make love not war.  This flower child will record Dany's adventures.  Hers will be one of the happier endings of all.  She will live to go back to her peaceful island after the snows melt away.  
  3. Samwell is the observer who will write the story for the future.  He's prone to screw things up and so his history scrolls will read like prophecies.

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I thought Cersei's historical counterpart was Margaret of Anjou. From the No Historical Figures Were Harmed page for A Song of Ice And Fire, the top entry for Cersei is:

Margaret of Anjou. A beautiful, ruthless and ambitious queen, whose fierce desire to rule the realm of England paved the way for disaster. She was wife to an ineffective king, her son was a cruel boy of questionable descent, and her tumultuous relationship with her husband's right hand man helped draw their Feuding Families into a bloody civil war (The War of the Five Kings/War of the Roses). She eventually becomes the leader of her respective faction, the Lancasters; although, Margaret actually commands her army and participates in battle at some point. After the death of her son and a devastating defeat, she is held in captivity and effectively declawed; although, Cersei actually has a way out of this predicament.

I was going on connections as outlined by AppleMartini (who no longer posts on the forum I think) which has Cersei as Elizabeth Woodville & Jaime as Anthony Woodville, her brother. In my opinion, no system will line up exactly as GRRM has drawn from different historical figures and overlayed and switched them around a bit. Cersei is really quite reasonable as Elizabeth Woodville, Robert is clearly drawn from Edward IV, he gained the throne through military prowess but tended to piss off his relatives and inflame rivals with his drinking and whoring.

They're almost all dead. It would be simpler to list those who will live. Jon and Dany are for saving the world, they're not living past this purpose. Jaime is too. Tyrion, Euron, Arianne, Cersei are for throwing spanners into the works, they're not living past this purpose. Aeron dies (and second lifes) immediately. Mel and Stannis obviously. Theon dies for Jon as he wishes he would have died for Robb. Mace dies soon. All the Tyrells, dead. Barry, Sandor for epic heroic deaths. LF, Harry, Varys, JC, Aegon, Illyrio lol so dead. All of Dany's lot die as she will give them an afterlife.

Not dying is Arya and Gendry. Everyone sacrifices their life for the realm so that Arya may learn to sacrifice her independence and love (Gendry) for it. If Gendry dies too then it's no sacrifice on her part. He lives, they both love each other but can never be. Sansa lives, House Lannister has to survive somehow, she's the antagonist to Arya, what Arya must protect the surviving realm against. Brienne lives obviously, with Jaime's bastard. Sam probably and Davos as the guiding hands. Asha as the only truly progressive arc of the story, what Ironborn survive are those that submit to a woman's rule, and by then should they even still be called Ironborn? Sweetrobin lives.

6 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Winter is nature's way of killing off people.  Only a few will survive.  We should be asking who survives and for how long.  I will list three of the most likely to live to see spring as old people.

Bran, Missandei, and Samwell

1. Bran is the green-seer.  We know his tree has the power to extend life.  It's not much of a life by our standards but he will be alive.  Bran can live part of his existence as a wolf.
  2. Missandei is the embodiment of make love not war.  This flower child will record Dany's adventures.  Hers will be one of the happier endings of all.  She will live to go back to her peaceful island after the snows melt away.  
  3. Samwell is the observer who will write the story for the future.  He's prone to screw things up and so his history scrolls will read like prophecies.

Much as I'd love Missandei to survive, I expect that Martin will probably give her some really gruesome death instead.

10 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I thought Cersei's historical counterpart was Margaret of Anjou. From the No Historical Figures Were Harmed page for A Song of Ice And Fire, the top entry for Cersei is:

Margaret of Anjou. A beautiful, ruthless and ambitious queen, whose fierce desire to rule the realm of England paved the way for disaster. She was wife to an ineffective king, her son was a cruel boy of questionable descent, and her tumultuous relationship with her husband's right hand man helped draw their Feuding Families into a bloody civil war (The War of the Five Kings/War of the Roses). She eventually becomes the leader of her respective faction, the Lancasters; although, Margaret actually commands her army and participates in battle at some point. After the death of her son and a devastating defeat, she is held in captivity and effectively declawed; although, Cersei actually has a way out of this predicament.

I think the literary inspiration for Cersei is Queen Isabella in Le Rois Maudits, just as the literary inspiration for her father is Philippe Le Bel.  Her plot to frame Margaery is drawn from the Tour de Nesle affair.

22 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

My sweet summer child... are you saying you had no idea it was going to turn into a wishful thinking fest rather than speculation based on the actual text? :lol:

basing on the text one may think Jaime is already dead. but, on the other hand, that would be a waste of the interesting character. but then again, does GRRM really gives a hat? ned and robb were rather 'boring'. jon is the same way 'boring' and many are convinced he will be resurrected! Id rather avoid such speculations. I just have gut feeling Tyrion will make it to the very end.

And I dont know how do we know shireen will get burned

56 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Val has it out for the little one.  The wildling might take advantage of Wun's disturbance to sneak in Shireen's quarters.  

Perhaps Val and Melisandre will conduct an ecumenical sacrifice.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:54 PM, butterweedstrover said:
On 10/29/2020 at 3:29 PM, Megorova said:

fAegon (he will be killed by Robert Strong), Barristan Selmy and septa Lemore (this two will die with fAegon).

lol, that would be funny. 

This is a scene from The Hedge Knight novel:

"The puppeteer's stall had been knocked on its side. The fat Dornishwoman was on the ground weeping.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces."

I think that it may be a hint about what will happen later in the main series. In this case the fat Dornishwoman will be pregnant Arianne Martell (the father of her baby will be fAegon), Florian the Fool is Barristan Selmy, Lady Jonquil is septa Lemore whose real name is Jeyne Swann (she is fAegon's mother, possibly), and the mummer's dragon is fAegon. The toy was ripped apart. If that's what will happen with fAegon then he will die in a similar manner. And there's only one person who is capable of something like that - to kill someone by ripping that someone apart. And that person is Robert Strong, the Mountain (possibly he has Robb Stark's head). Also it seems fitting if fAegon, an imposter, will be killed by the same person who killed the real Aegon.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

"The puppeteer's stall had been knocked on its side. The fat Dornishwoman was on the ground weeping.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces."

I think that it may be a hint about what will happen later in the main series. In this case the fat Dornishwoman will be pregnant Arianne Martell (the father of her baby will be fAegon), Florian the Fool is Barristan Selmy, Lady Jonquil is septa Lemore whose real name is Jeyne Swann (she is fAegon's mother, possibly), and the mummer's dragon is fAegon. The toy was ripped apart. If that's what will happen with fAegon then he will die in a similar manner. And there's only one person who is capable of something like that - to kill someone by ripping that someone apart. And that person is Robert Strong, the Mountain (possibly he has Robb Stark's head). Also it seems fitting if fAegon, an imposter, will be killed by the same person who killed the real Aegon.

I agree Septa Lemore is YG's mother. 

Though I don't see her or Barristan being burned alive (maybe they will be, who knows.

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

Perhaps the Blackfyre In Disguise will kill the Mountain in Disguise who killed the real Prince Aegon.  The fake avenging the real thing.  

I like to think that every character described as 'breathless' is foreshadowed dead (or sort of dead). It's not a huge list, but includes plenty of likely characters, such as the Stark children and the major Lannisters, though not including Bran or Myrcella, which makes me feel a little bit hopeful for them.

Archived