Did Barbrey Dustin murder Maester Walys?

Angel Eyes

So this grew out of a post of mine on the
Was Maester Luwin at Riverrun to deliver Robb thread:

• Maester Luwin replaced Maester Walys as the maester at Winterfell c. 283 A.C.
  • According to Barbrey Dustin, Walys encouraged Rickard Stark's "southron ambitions", including betrothing Rickard's heir Brandon to Catelyn Tully.
  • Judging by what we know about Maester Aemon (he became a maester at 19 years old) and that Walys was bundled off to Winterfell as quickly as possible, Walys could have started at Winterfell as a maester no later than 276 AC (when Catelyn was betrothed to Brandon), putting him at the youngest mid-to-late twenties by Robert's Rebellion.

Is it possible that Barbrey murdered Walys for depriving her of Brandon Stark, the man she wanted, necessitating a replacement maester at Winterfell (Luwin)? She's certainly petty enough to intend to leave Ned Stark's bones to her dogs if they ever wind up back in the North.

If walys was dismissed as maester by Ned after the war, than I can easily see barbrey murdering him if she happened to see him walk down the kings road.

But to murder him inside winterfell requires allot of connections and resources within rickards stark home. I somehow doubt barbrey had these resources during 283 ac. 

I believe walys was dismissed and replaced. So its possible she had him killed on the road

I think Walys is alive and returned to Oldtown. And if I'm right, then I think we might meet him in Sam's POV.

I don't think you can bring up something like "southron ambition" and have the man Barbrey accused of whispering sweet nothings in the ear of the lord he served be dead. Rickard is dead, so Walys must be alive to shed some light on what was going on back then.

Angel Eyes, to the original point, it's certainly possible if the timing lines up.  I think if someone is as petty as her, it would go back pretty far, but I think her real bitterness with the Starks while extending to not getting Brandon, climaxes with her husband dying for Ned and not being brought back. The ol' straw that broke the camels back.  I'm not sure that wedding rejections would have led to her murdering a maester for his advice, but after her husband died, if she came across the maester passing south, then it's certainly possible she would take an opportunity to take out her frustrations on him. Does Walys's switch with Luwin match up with the Tower of Joy and journey back to Winterfell to learn of it?

No I don't think so. I think Walys was killed by Rickard after he received word of what happened to Brandon. HE went to ask Walys for some advice and found something incriminating that led to him killing them. Some evidence of a Maesters plot or their intentions. The thing is we know Luwin was in Riverrun during the war. Catelyn says he was with her for all her pregnancies which includes Robb who was born at Riverrun. So Walys is killed and Luwin is arranged to be sent to Winterfell. He goes by land but by the time he reaches Riverrun on the way to Winterfell the war has broken out and he's stuck there. He sticks around particularly after Catelyn marries Ned and helps deliver Robb before heading on to Winterfell with them. Barbrey killing Walys doesn't really fit the timeline so well.

13 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

How so?

You don't think that the southron ambition accusation needs an actual answer by someone who would be in the know rather than Barbrey who is bitter and angry still over Brandon's betrothal to Catelyn and everything that she lost? 

We're all doing fine, going about our business, enjoying a book that was finally published, Theon's chapters were so well written, then George drops a bomb in the middle of one of his chapters with Barbrey. Then we get TWoIaF, which all in all is a propaganda piece when it comes to the more recent politics of Westeros and there Maester Gossip doubles down by telling us the alliance Rickard was building was meant to be activated against House Targaryen. But none of that even happens after House Stark is brought to near destruction.

Rickard is long dead. But Maester Walys could have easily moved on to another castle. He wouldn't be the first maester to do so. I think it's a bit premature to presume that he is dead because he was replaced by Maester Luwin. It's possible that he waited for his replacement to come before he peaced out and moved on to a different castle or returned to the Citadel.

The Citadel could have easily reassigned Walys to another family.  Maybe even brought him back to the school to teach.  Another thing, perhaps Ned sent him packing.  After all, if that maester was responsible for hatching the plans that killed his father and brother, Ned would get rid of his poisonous opinions.

16 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

why do you think that?

Walys Flowers was born a bastard son of a Masester at the citadel and a Hightower maid (Archmaester Walgrave + Malora Hightower, the mad maid)

After he forged his chain was sent to serve at Winterfell (Walys was the maester in Winterfell during Robert’s Rebellion, till Luwin came with Cat and baby Robb. Jon was already there.) 

We don’t know why and when he exactly left but if your like me and believe N+A=J, Walys was instructed by Ned or went with Ned to Starfall. He crossed the narrow sea with Ashara and has been watching over Aegon (who is legit R+L=A). He like everyone else Tryion is traveling with is going by a alias (except Duck and the Rhyonish couple). 

He picked Haldon Halmaester? Why that name? I dont know but Half Maester is the clue, He claims he studied at Citadel but didn’t earn enough links to forge a chain, hence why he’s Half a Maester. Or is it because he was at one point a practicing maester who wore a chain (no longer does) and is by blood the half maester on his fathers side. 

1 hour ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Out of curiosity, how old do you think Malora and Walys/Haldon are? 

Malora is born no later than 257 AC, since this is the earliest point that her younger sister Alerie (later Tyrell) was born. No word on who is older between her or Baelor Breakwind however, though the latter’s reputation was cemented c. 272-273 AC because that’s when the Princess of Dorne was looking around for a match for her two youngest children.

As for Walys, see OP. Since a maester may be as young at 19 when they receive their first assignment (ie Maester Aemon) and Walys was sent to Winterfell ASAP, he was born no later than 257 AC because that’s when Brandon Stark and Catelyn Tully were betrothed; it was presumably Walys’ idea.

Archived