Covid-19 #19 Tsunami Wave

Zorral

Old Covid-19 Discussion Thread (#18) over 400 comments.

So, carry on, because, you know, the virus isn't going anywhere, except for more, More, MORE of itself within our evidently so hospitable selves.

"Former FDA Commissioner, Scot Gottlieb wawrned Sunday that the Thanksgiving holiday could be the “inflection point” of dangerous surge in coronavirus cases that has already begun."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/01/gottlieb-thanksgiving-coronavirus-surge-433794

....“Things are getting worse around the country,” Gottlieb said in an interview on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” predicting: “December is probably going to be our toughest month.”

“The positivity rate is above 10 percent in 15 states,” he noted. “And all of the states are above 1 [percent], which means they're an expanding epidemic right now. This is very worrisome as we head into the winter.”

A positivity rate for coronavirus tests is generally considered too high if it tops 5 percent....

This bodes so tragically badly because

....“This largely going to play out over the next two months,” Gottlieb predicted. “By the time a president is reinaugurated in January, whoever that is, we’ll probably be through the most acute phases of this, be coming down the epidemic curve. So this is really going to play out under the president’s leadership. What he does over the next two months will be very important.”

We know he will do NOTHING except howlings that will make what is already a catastrophe of a nature never before experienced in this nation even worse.

In the last thread people were suggesting nobody was using waste water monitoring to predict Covid cases. It turns out it’s used in Saskatchewan, particularly in Saskatoon. Samples are tested every day, and the province was warned last week cases would be rising. The news story I heard said, “just like other Canadian cities do”, so I gather it’s being used across the country. 

If I can find a story I’ll link it.

I still have no results and I still only have mild cold symptoms. Been watching series, annoying myself with news, annoying you all here and planning a makeover for my bedroom. I’m sick of it and it’s only been 4 days. Imagine if I ever get a full on quarantine. 

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

In the last thread people were suggesting nobody was using waste water monitoring to predict Covid cases. It turns out it’s used in Saskatchewan, particularly in Saskatoon. Samples are tested every day, and the province was warned last week cases would be rising. The news story I heard said, “just like other Canadian cities do”, so I gather it’s being used across the country. 

If I can find a story I’ll link it.

Luxembourg’s doing that. Whole lot of good that does.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Dang. I was gonna make a thread called Covid 19: Covidiots Rising.

Or Covidiots Spreading. That’s better. 

Damn you hindsight!

O Dayem!  If you want I'll change the title?  Though doubtless either of your titles will be at least as appropo later as now.  And to that, I say DAMN and even DOUBLE DAMNDAMN you covididiots!

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Let’s not. It’s discriminatory. People generally don’t choose to get a communicable disease while they are shopping at the grocery store, etc. 

Imagine if you were talking about people getting AIDS thirty years ago. Or Ebola on 2014. Or H1N1 in 2009.

Have some damned compassion and some fuck1ng class.

Hmmmm. I was using the term to describe Covid deniers who spread the disease to others. 

Was that not obvious?

I saw a story about Slovakia attempting to test their entire population in 2 days. It's a bit reminiscent of what China have been doing in some cities but I don't think it's something that's been tried on this scale in Europe before, it'll be interesting to see how well it works.

8 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Thanks, man. :love:

Obviously, covid-deniers are a huge problem, and hopefully with better public health messaging, they will get the picture. It’s going to take some time and consistent messaging - just like seat belt use, etc.

I’m facing some *extreme* family pressure to visit my brother (a doctor - radiologist to be precise, so he’s not seeing actual patients in person) over Thanksgiving. My boyfriend refuses to fly that far, so the private plane option is out, so it’s either drive from ATL to San Diego or fly commercial. This pressure to visit my brother has grown more consistent in volume over the past couple months, and I’m going to have to give in or risk a rupture with the family members whom I actually like.

Lie; tell them you’ve a fever and a bad cough.

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

I saw a story about Slovakia attempting to test their entire population in 2 days. It's a bit reminiscent of what China have been doing in some cities but I don't think it's something that's been tried on this scale in Europe before, it'll be interesting to see how well it works.

Relatively well. They managed to test about half the population so far and found around 1% infected of those they tested. Not sure if they managed to do everybody after all, but taking on the task in itself is hugely respectable. 

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

That is only interesting if you also close the borders. 

But EU countries are incapable of doing that. They prefer to lock their citizens up than closing the border for recreative travelling. While in Belgium people even cannot go to work without a certificate attesting they cannot work from home people can spreading the virus when they travel to Greece. 

The Belgian government is incompetent.

3 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Indeed

But EU countries are incapable of doing that.

tbh, closing the borders would be a political catastrophe and the end of the EU.

They prefer to lock their citizens up than closing the border for recreative travelling. While in Belgium people even cannot go to work without a certificate attesting they cannot work from home people can spreading the virus when they travel to Greece. 

I'm not sure if a lot of tourism is happening right now anyway. Some of course. There is need of travelling because of family and other personal reasons as well as economic ones, like in site inspections of equipment, crops and other productive activities. For good or bad, the economies in the world are too integrated to shut down the borders for too long.

Anyway, with the new antigen tests (like the one being used in Slovakia), it might be easier to do these activities lessening the risks.

Only the Belgian? Please tell me of an European government that has managed this crisis adequately.

I am not in conspiracy theories but beyond a certain level incompetence cannot be distinguished from malice.

6 hours ago, Tijgy said:

But EU countries are incapable of doing that. They prefer to lock their citizens up than closing the border for recreative travelling. While in Belgium people even cannot go to work without a certificate attesting they cannot work from home people can spreading the virus when they travel to Greece. 

not incapable. But it goes against everything the EU stands for. 

also, I second everything rsc just said.

The classy tomato keeps looking for the needle in the haystack! We needed a laff, so thanx.

Nor was I the one who said it, but classy tomatahs gonna needle every time -- and every time w/out a pointy end and bright end. :rofl:

19 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Dang. I was gonna make a thread called Covid 19: Covidiots Rising.

Or Covidiots Spreading. That’s better. 

Damn you hindsight!

I thought about "Winter is coming"

or "The darkest winter" (some US Health official said that)

but we can also save that for next time

I remember somewhere in the previous thread we were discussing how long antibodies were lasting for and there was a question about immunity from T-cells. I saw this story today about a study where they found all the participants had detectable T-cells six months after they were infected. However, it sounds like more work would need to be done to really determine how much protection they give.

Archived